Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chameleons Forum

Jay Dee   Alejandro   Jay Dee   Alejandro   00Penguin   Jay Dee   00Penguin   Jay Dee   Voodoo   OhioPimp   00Penguin   SPARKLYNN   Scarletsnake  
 Member  Message

Jay Dee
View Profile

What Does it Mean when a Chameleon has its mouth open?

Hey Guys. I was just watching my chameleon awhile ago and he had his mouth open. At first I thought he was going to get a crciket but i dont think there was lone in the cage. Does it just mean he is hot? O yea, also if a cricket gets out into my room can it chew a hole threw my mesh cage? Thanks! please reply ASAP Jay Dee

09/22/04  5:26pm
Sorry, No Replies

Alejandro
View Profile

Message To: Jay   In reference to Message Id: 147285

he was with his mouth open when he was basking? or what are the temps of the cage

09/22/04  7:53pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jay Dee
View Profile

Message To: Alejandro   In reference to Message Id: 147378

Yeah he was opening his mouth when he was basking. I have a 75watt light bulb in the circular lamp and a 15 watt in the long lamp. is he just to hot? please help.

09/22/04  8:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

Alejandro
View Profile

Message To: Jay   In reference to Message Id: 147410

yeah maybe he is too hot

09/22/04  8:45pm
Sorry, No Replies

00Penguin
View Profile

Message To: Alejandro   In reference to Message Id: 147417

what kind of cham? what are the temps? is it wheezing? open mouth breathing is a sign of respitory illness not overheating, it could be to cold. At any length, you really need to get it to a vet. Mouth breathing is NOT good and in fact is a very bad sign. Start looking for a herp vet, and check books and care sheets to make sure your set up is right.

09/22/04  8:57pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jay Dee
View Profile

Message To: 00Penguin   In reference to Message Id: 147430

He is a veiled chameleon and I got he only does it sometimes. Usually when he does it he just moves to a different spot a little bit further away from the lamp. Is it still serious? Please Help more. thanks.

09/22/04  9:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

00Penguin
View Profile

Message To: Jay   In reference to Message Id: 147441

did he only do it once or does he do it all the time? What is your set up? the age of the lizard? temps?

09/22/04  10:33pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jay Dee
View Profile

Message To: 00Penguin   In reference to Message Id: 147534

I have only seen him do it twice now. I dont know his age but he is bout maybe 2-3 inches right now. i have a screen reptarium, it is a 65 gallon. I have a vine close to the heat lamp and sticks fake plants all round the cage and a water dish. I spray the cage thorougj;y 2 times a day and i am going to install a homemade drip system soon. i havent seen him do it today, i think its just hes to hot because now he usually doesnt go right up to the heat lamp like he use to. o ya i have a 75 watt light bulb in my dome lamp and a 15watt light bulb in the long lamp. i dont have a thermometer yet but i am going to get one soon. please help more thanks.

09/23/04  5:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Voodoo
View Profile

Message To: Jay   In reference to Message Id: 147984

You know, my new baby panther is the height of health- but he sometimes does the mouth open bit. He is a bit funny that way- he only does it sometimes though not on a daily basis. He also likes to chew on the sticks in his cage- this I can’t really figure out. Ever heard of this? It isn’t like he’s trying to eat leaves or something, he almost saws on them- I have noticed he does have small teeth buds, perhaps its like a teething behavior. He seems healthy as can be otherwise. Trust me on this too, I have dealt with many an ill chamy.

09/24/04  3:50am
Sorry, No Replies

OhioPimp
View Profile

Message To: Voodoo   In reference to Message Id: 148285

This is Lexi shes blowing me a kiss... There are many reasons for this. They could be regulating heat within there body "hot" Could be thirsty, it took me awhile to get lexi to like the water bottle. Or Getting ready to shed, to help dry out the skin. I would spray more than normal while shedding it helps them alot. Hope this Help’s

Michael J

09/24/04  5:39am
Sorry, No Replies

00Penguin
View Profile

OMG you dont have a thermometer? c’mon man! at the least buy a couple of 1$ ones from petco (in aquarium section) and put them in the hot and cool end (or level as the case may be) but really you NEED to know the temp. thats your problem most likely. do it asap

09/24/04  1:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

SPARKLYNN
View Profile

WHEN THAT HAPPEND TO ME MY VET SAID THATS WHEN HA STARTED GETTING DEHIDRATED YOU NEED TO GET A DRIPPER OR A WATERFALL WELL SOMTHING THAT HAS WATER RUNNING CONSTANTLY SO THAT IT DOESNT GET AS BAD AS MINE DID A DRIPPER COSTS LIKE 12$ AND A VET BILL FOR DEHIDRATION COSTS 104$ SO TAKE YOUR PICK ANYWAYS I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK!

10/21/04  5:05pm
Sorry, No Replies

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: OhioPimp   In reference to Message Id: 148291

I love that picture, it’s so funny! She looks like she’s singing opera, what a cutie.

10/26/04  9:34am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area