Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chameleons Forum

Veild help   Julirs   Veild help   Julirs   Veild help   Veild help   Julirs   Veild help   Julirs   Veild help   LunaC   Veild help   Julirs  
 Member  Message

Veild help
View Profile

Pedialyte

hello, i am "re-hyderating" my chammy rightbeacuse i was told he was de hyderated... now withPedialyte and i heard it can re-hyderate but i dont know how much to give him daily and how many times daily or weekly, so can someone tell me a avrage amout for an chammy to have?>

03/28/09  08:01pm

Julirs
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976236

Pedialyte

First of all, why is your chameleon dehydrated in the first place? I would rehydrate with water.

03/28/09  09:57pm

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: Julirs   In reference to Message Id: 1976314

Pedialyte

beacuse he never drinks water from a dripper , ice ( i know ice isnt the best), mist etc....... thats why and when ever i do mist him he runs away in a conrer

03/29/09  10:11am

Julirs
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976487

Pedialyte

Forcing him Pedialyte because you never see him drink is not a good idea. How does his poop look-is there a nice white part and a brown part? If the white part turns yellow or orange, this is a sign of dehydration. There are some Veileds that are "closet drinkers", and you rarely see them drink. But they are drinking off of the leaves of the cage when you are not looking. DO NOT USE ICE. A good 3 minute cage soaking mist 2X daily with nice warm water is sufficient. Some will run-they just don’t like water, but if it is nice and warm maybe he will come around-it is good to mist them lightly-it helps them to keep their eyes clean.
What are you housing this guy in? What lighting? What temps?

03/29/09  10:41am

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: Julirs   In reference to Message Id: 1976497

Pedialyte

i know that forcing him pedilite is not good for him in stress etc. but i get really worried about him and i dont want him to die.( but does it help hyderate just a Q?) hes really weird and a hassle at times b/c his poop at days is white and at days is a slight yellow ( never orange, more yellow than white though).. its like he wants to be dried up some days. it may be so that he is a closet drinker too but i dought... ive heard about showeres but i think that ther a bad idea and waste h20.... and when io mist him he hides under his plants or goes nuts and climbs and falls off branches etc. but i not to mist him > but he comes to the mist and goes nuts and at the end hes drinks a tad per mist( he just looks dried up too ) i have no idea how to hyderate him but to mist him loke nuts or to force him pedilite for a week or two

03/29/09  02:58pm

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976609

Pedialyte

i was hoping that maybe that since hes dehyderated he doesnt want to drink, and if i feed him PED. and hyderate him somewhat hill drink on his own.

03/29/09  03:01pm

Julirs
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976612

Pedialyte

Seriously-just up his mistings-maybe 4-5 times daily giving the plants a good soaking. Make sure you water is warm and that the mist is really fine. I fear you are not watering him enough. Forching any liquid without experience is dangerous-you can cause them to aspirate and die.

03/29/09  04:26pm

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: Julirs   In reference to Message Id: 1976664

Pedialyte

you saw the photo from chammy colors post and doesnt look dhydrated?

03/29/09  06:23pm

Julirs
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976612

Pedialyte

Do you have a recent picture of him? I really doubt he is that bad. Are you realisitc about how long you are misting him for? Can you set up adequate drainage and put a little dripper on him? Another good way to hydrate is with hormworms or silkworms.

03/29/09  06:39pm

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: Julirs   In reference to Message Id: 1976747

Pedialyte

about a mounth old

03/29/09  08:20pm

LunaC
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1976848

Pedialyte

Well, when that photo was taken he did not look dehydrated. He’s very pretty!
If his eyes have become more sunken, his skin wrinkled and dry looking and his casque less plump since that photo was taken, then yes .. he may be dehydrated.

Showers are actually a good idea if the cham is old enough (yours looks old enough). As you know and Juli pointed out, force feeding is only really a last resort. Make certain the water you are using is warm. Ice cubes are NOT suitable for hydration, as already pointed out. Unless a cham is absolutely desperate they will surely always run from ice cold water. Their water in the wild is warm.

If your cage is large enough, mist whatever side he is not on. Mist thoroughly for several minutes. A chameleon’s instinct to drink sometimes is not immediate. They need to see the water actually dripping and often it takes several minutes before the instinct actually kicks in. Since he has a tendency to run from the water, make sure you keep the water away from him when you mist.

The "Little Dripper" (and/or "Big Dripper") is also good idea since your cham obviously is not a fan of misting water.

Use plastic leafy artificial plants to hold the water droplets better. Silk plants just absorb water too quickly for chams to actually lap water from. Use live plants to better aid in humidity.

He’s quite good looking!

03/29/09  10:23pm

Veild help
View Profile

Message To: LunaC   In reference to Message Id: 1976975

Pedialyte

these are some recent photos ... how does he look ( thanks for the comment before - mabye i was overworried:()

03/30/09  07:04pm

Julirs
View Profile

Message To: Veild help   In reference to Message Id: 1977470

Pedialyte

Pictures are a little fuzzy, but I think he looks fine.

03/30/09  08:54pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area