Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chameleons Forum

Sunburst   Sepioteuthis   Kah   Sunburst   Kah   Jonas77   Sunburst   Archangel   Higgsy  
 Member  Message

Sunburst
View Profile

Gular Edema?

I thought maybe my female might just be a bit on the heavy side, hopefully thatís all it is because sheís seem really healthy. I have been giving her vitamin A supplements but only very rarely maybe once a month, but decided to hold off for a while now that I notice her gular seem like itís maybe a little large, itís not hard or anything feels soft not swollen, hopefully itís nothing, but Iíll hold off on the Vitamin A for a while.

What do you think?

Hereís a Jackson with Gular Edema.

10/25/05  07:05pm

Sepioteuthis
View Profile

Message To: Sunburst   In reference to Message Id: 522468

Gular Edema?

Iím not an expert on veiled, but she looks like sheís carrying eggs.
I also agree with your concern about the edema. Iíve heard that that can go away by itself if you decrease the supplementation and make sure she stays well hydrated.
As for the eggs: put a bucket with sand and soil (mixed) in her cage so she can dig a whole and lay eggs when sheís ready.
Like I said Iím not an expert on veileds so I canít give you any specific advise, but Iím sure others on this forum can.

Suzanne

10/26/05  04:05pm

Kah
View Profile

Message To: Sepioteuthis   In reference to Message Id: 523014

Gular Edema?

I think I may agree.. my female looks like this and she is gonna lay anyday now! Then after it goes away.... I have been researching this since u posted.. Thanks
Karen

10/26/05  04:42pm

Sunburst
View Profile

Message To: Kah   In reference to Message Id: 523048

Gular Edema?

She just got done laying her 2nd clutch, that I have posted here already. I was Sunfart had my name change thanks to the moderator to Sunburst, perhaps maybe that confused you girls.

10/26/05  05:54pm

Kah
View Profile

Message To: Sunburst   In reference to Message Id: 523123

Gular Edema?

well maybe a trip to the vet is in order!!!

10/26/05  06:03pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: Kah   In reference to Message Id: 523136

Gular Edema?

I know its off topic, but its not impossible that a chameleon wont lay all the eggs at once. Many other reptiles can do it at two different times, like ovovivipar snakes. Sometimes they only empty one ovary. Im not saying this is the case here, but I have seen it myself and its not totally off topic and something to keep in mind.
I think the vitamin A may be a factor as well. You might want to hold just like you say.

10/26/05  07:31pm

Sunburst
View Profile

Message To: Jonas77   In reference to Message Id: 523242

Gular Edema?

I donít think itís a severe Gular edema, she might be bit on the porky side, will start limiting her eating some, she seems really healthy, and itís not swollen, so it could be just from over feeding her alittle. Like I said before she just laid 73 eggs and 6 bad raisin, 1 st time she laid 60 so she could be developing eggs for the next clutch. But I will definately stop on the Vitamin A for a while.

10/26/05  07:57pm

Archangel
View Profile

Message To: Sunburst   In reference to Message Id: 523270

Gular Edema?

She may be ready to lay eggs. If you see little lumps (size of jelly bellys) then she may be getting ready to lay.

10/26/05  10:05pm

Higgsy
View Profile

Message To: Archangel   In reference to Message Id: 523409

Gular Edema?

hi
sorry didnt really mean to interupt but maybe you are mistaking sunburst for a beginner?!! it just sopunds a bit like you are in any case sunburst is not a biggniner... the fact that his female is still showing breeding colours is most probably due top the fact that they often do hold there breeding colours even after laying for up to a month but most usually go away within the first few days my female whom has just laid her second clutch held her breeding coulours for 8 days after laying and have now gone!!!
thanks
sam

10/27/05  05:53pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area