Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chameleons Forum

RaeRae   IlovemyReptiles   RaeRae   Jonas77   RaeRae   Jonas77   RaeRae   Jonas77   Skinker   RaeRae   Sunburst   Jonas77   Skinker   Dr. Chamoo   Kah  
 Member  Message

RaeRae
View Profile

My veiled on bottom of cage???

I have a veiled chameleon that is a little over a year old and Iíve never had any problems with him. His enclsoure is custom built and 3ftx3ftx4ft. He has proper temps and lighting, eats a regular diet of crickets, worms, fruit, etc... For the past week he has made his way to the bottom of the cage and will literally dig in the repti-bark substrate for hours. Since he first climbed to the bottom he has not once made an attempt to climb back up, sunbathe, eat, etc... He just lays on the bottom all day and night. His color is fine (it varies from brown to green like always). This all began after he started to shed and I thought maybe he was looking for a place to scratch. I canít make heads or tails of this. Iíve tried twice to lift him to the top branches and he suns himself for a few minutes only to return to the bottom of the cage. What is happening to my lizard? Is this a sign of illness or stress? Could it be a symptom of a really bad shed? Iíd appreciate anyoneís input and thank you for your advice!

11/10/05  10:14am

IlovemyReptiles
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 537801

my baby vieled likes to go down to hunt but he never leaves the tree! thats weird... post a pic

11/10/05  10:49am

RaeRae
View Profile

Message To: IlovemyReptiles   In reference to Message Id: 537833

Hereís a picture of him just laying on the bottom of the enclosure. He does this all day every day.

11/10/05  12:56pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 537948

"He just lays on the bottom all day and night"

You dont mean literally do you? he still stands up? something is not right... On the picture i dont see many branches to climb on, do they exist in your cage? You are sure about the sex, so it CANT be a female? Are you sure the temp is not to high at the top? Eating good? drinking good?

11/10/05  02:44pm

RaeRae
View Profile

Message To: Jonas77   In reference to Message Id: 538058

The picture is only of the base of the climbing area. There are many, many branches that criss-cross throughout the cage. Iím sure of the sex, the spurs on his back ankles are unmistakeable. I thought about the temp being too high so I moved the light to the corner of the cage, away from the rest of the branches but nothing changed. He doesnít lay down all the time, I didnít mean to make it sound like he was immobile. He digs in the substrate and walks around some to new places on the bottom then seems to take "cat naps" as he changes positions. Itís a beautifully warm day today so I took the cage outside and he seems to like the sunlight a LOT! Iím thinking the UVB bulb I have may be deffective? But I still donít understand why he wonít stay in the canopy and prefers the bottom of the cage?

11/10/05  04:35pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 538205

Maybe you could try to get more light in there either way, how many watts do you have now (not talking about UVB)? UV bulbs get old in about 6 months, and the affect UV have on the daytime cycle for chams have been discussed, maybe there can be something to it. I just hope its nothing really bad. Have you seen him eating any of the soil? It could be a mineral deficiency behavior.

11/10/05  06:22pm

RaeRae
View Profile

Message To: Jonas77   In reference to Message Id: 538354

I have 75 watts in there now. I havenít seen him eat the substrate but he also hasnít eaten his crickets or worms. Itís been days. He seemed to feel better after a day in the sun but he hasnít moved from the side of the cage since I put him out there. He actually seems to be sleeping all the time? Lethargic, loss of appetite...probably a problem with lighting?

11/10/05  07:11pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 538420

You mean with eyes closed? Thats really bad, you ned to get water in him to begin with, mix in some mineral preps in small dose. Maby a tenth of a pinch of sugar just for energy. Chams "sleeping" during daytime is a bad sign IMO. Does he feel weak? Can he hold on to branches if he wants?

11/10/05  07:22pm

Skinker
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 538420

I could be wrong but it could be a form of MBD, did you put cacium on his crickits when he did eat?
Or it could be he isnít getting enough heat some how.

11/10/05  07:26pm

RaeRae
View Profile

Message To: Skinker   In reference to Message Id: 538447

Well, itís certainly not MBD. I dust his crickets and even his worms and fruit sometimes. He has plenty of heat but it may be the lighting. Iíll try a new UVB bulb and see if that helps or maybe just continue his "Sun" therapy...he seems to perk up under the natural light and heat of the sun on my back porch. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

11/10/05  09:57pm

Sunburst
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 538698

More or likely he ate some of the bark you have in there as substrate, never use anything on the bottom of the cage. I notice my males would eat some dirt out of the planters, before I placed small river rocks. He could have eaten some bark causing impaction, thatís why he not eating due to intestinal blockage.

11/11/05  10:43am

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: Sunburst   In reference to Message Id: 539157

Thats a strong diagnosis over the net. Even so I still think the reason for lizards eating different substrates is a craving for minerals.

11/11/05  11:45am

Skinker
View Profile

Message To: RaeRae   In reference to Message Id: 538698

how long have you had the uvb light?

11/11/05  03:35pm

Dr. Chamoo
View Profile

Message To: Skinker   In reference to Message Id: 539437

If he is not captive bred and comes from the wild, then it could be very likely that he is trying to brumate. In the colder times of the year out in the wild, veileds brumate quite regularly......too much uva and uvb and having them on for too long can drain your lizard and that could also be a reaosn why he is trying to dig a hole in which he can brumate....exhaustion. My first male veiled dispalyed these very same sysptoms.....so I went online and looked up brumation and followed the directions. I personally recommend that everybody allows thier chams to brumate atleast once a year for about three or four days, it makes a world of difference as far as thier health goes. Just google brumation and you will be headed on the right track. Please continue inquiring because I find this to be a very interesting topic.

The Doc

11/13/05  03:11am

Kah
View Profile

Message To: Dr. Chamoo   In reference to Message Id: 541055

Dr Chamoo ,
are u a Vet?
Also I have tried to search this topic, and can not find much on veilds brumation.. if u have any links to share please do...
I have a male now that I think is doing this, as I can not seem to keep him awake for long.. and we cant find anything wrong with him... he is drinking and eating a small amount - BUT just wants to go back to sleep... I have never seen the others do this, and I have one over 5yrs old... he is lazy for sure.. I just figured it was his age more then the time of yr.. Im in Chicago and its going into winter here....
karen
Thanks

11/13/05  01:50pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area