Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Corn Snakes Forum

Aragorn285   Aragorn285   Snowmen   Kojak   Kojak   Aragorn285  
 Member  Message

Aragorn285
View Profile

Aspen=impaction??

I have a question about aspen. I had a bearded dragon that died because of an impaction. I was told by a petstore (this was before I came to despise the large majority) that bearded dragons LOVE sand as a substrate...so I got some, and put it in. And about a month later, it died because of an impaction. So I was wondering if the same thing will happen to my corn snakes if I kept them on Aspen. I ALWAYS ALWAYS feed my snakes in a different container, but is an impaction from aspen still likely?

05/25/07  03:17pm

Aragorn285
View Profile

Message To: Aragorn285   In reference to Message Id: 1293616

Aspen=impaction??

Is it possible for a snake to get mites or diseases from a mouse that it eats? Because I am starting to breed mice, and the mice, I think all of them but one, have these black bumps that almost stick out of their fur towards their tails...anyone know what this is??

05/25/07  03:38pm

Snowmen
View Profile

Message To: Aragorn285   In reference to Message Id: 1293625

Aspen=impaction??

Well go on the parasite forum and check it up...

05/25/07  05:05pm

Kojak
View Profile

Message To: Aragorn285   In reference to Message Id: 1293616

Aspen=impaction??

Quote:

I ALWAYS ALWAYS feed my snakes in a different container, but is an impaction from aspen still likely?

If you feed in a different container, are you using aspen in this container or another type of substrate? The only way an impaction can occur is through ingestion. If aspen or any other substrate is swallowed and cannot be digested, then it stops up the plumbing and there you have it. The problem with aspen is that since it is shredded, it does have splinter-like pieces which if become lodged somewhere down the esophagus or digestive tract, it can cause some serious damage, along with an impaction. This is usually rare in occurrence though.
As far as just swallowing the aspen and causing an impaction, this is unlikely, with the exception of very small juveniles where the pieces of aspen are large in comparison to the size of the snake. You have to keep in mind that a snakes digestive juices are strong enough to digest bones, teeth and hair.fur. therefore pieces of wood, for the most part, donít pose a threat.
If you want to be 100% safe, use something like the indoor/outdoor carpeting or even paper towels or newsprint in your "feeder" tank. That way there is nothing for the snake to swallow other than the food itself.
Hope that answers your question and sorry to hear about your beardie.

05/25/07  06:03pm

Kojak
View Profile

Message To: Aragorn285   In reference to Message Id: 1293625

Aspen=impaction??

Not sure about the black bumps, but I donít think that would be a mite. Mites are similar to ticks, in that lodge themselves into the skin and you would be able to see at least their bodies.
Also, and Iím not 100 percent sure about this, but I donít think the mites that infect mammals are the same type that infect reptiles. I know this to be true with bacteria and viruses, for the most part, but mites may be different.
Iíd do a search for reptile mites, or mites in general and see what that yields.

05/25/07  06:07pm

Aragorn285
View Profile

Message To: Kojak   In reference to Message Id: 1293758

Aspen=impaction??

Ok thanks for the help, not sure what the black bumps were either, but I just threw that mouse out. Yeah, I feed it in a little "critter carrier" so I usually either use paper towels or nothing...

05/26/07  09:49am

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area