Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Corn Snakes Forum

Bradley   Markey   Feindish   RePtiLOVER   Fissiksman   Steel snake785  
 Member  Message

Bradley
View Profile

How fast do corn snakes normally grow

i am goin wednesday to get a tank for my snake and i wus wondering how long it would last me my snake is about 10 inches long so could sum1 tell me wut size tank and how long will it last me?

08/29/04  11:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markey
View Profile

Message To: Bradley   In reference to Message Id: 131929

Some say to start your snake in a ten gallon aquarium for the first year or so.
I chose to get a twenty gallon long from the start. Snakes like to feel secure, so I made sure to add plenty of hiding places. I have a hide on each side (warm and cool) as well as one running down the middle of the viv (1/2 on cool side, 1/2 on warm side). I also added some tree branches and vines. As Markey grows, I’ll make a few changes.
As long as your snake has plenty of hiding spots, it shouldn’t get stressed by having a larger living space.
We got Markey when he was seven months old. He had been hibernated through the winter, so he wasn’t as large as some ten month old snakes are. We got him in May, and he has gotten so big!!! I’m happy that we didn’t get the ten gallon tank....but that’s just me.
Good luck and enjoy your new snake. It is beautiful!!!!

08/30/04  7:30am
Sorry, No Replies

Feindish
View Profile

Message To: Markey   In reference to Message Id: 132065

i also chose a 20 gal and after a year and a half he got a 36 long and i am thinking of getting a 100 or 175 and he is 3.5 then i can move the 6 week old in to the 36 long

09/02/04  10:43pm
Sorry, No Replies

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Feindish   In reference to Message Id: 134887

How big of a tank would you need for 2 adult corns?

09/05/04  11:09am
Sorry, No Replies

Fissiksman
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 136600

if you want to breed them, don’t keep them together, but a 30 gallon aquarium would be the smallest I’d recommend. a wood cage 2x4x2 ft with some plexi windows with some ventilation is perfect for the whole life. If they’re not similarly sized, don’t keep them together or the small one may disappear! and to answer the originall question, the growth rate is entirely due to the feeding schedule. more and larger prey items = faster growth. once per 2 weeks and that ten gallon will last 3 years or more. 2 per week and it’ll outgrow it by Christmas.

09/08/04  1:58am
Sorry, No Replies

Steel snake785
View Profile

Message To: Bradley   In reference to Message Id: 131929

go with a 20 gal it will last it its whole life all snakes grow according to how many pinkies or mice u feed it every week

09/26/04  3:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area