Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Corn Snakes Forum

Chess_white   Chess_white   Fire Fox   Dragonwulf75   Snakenator   Tina_Adams   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Chess_white
View Profile

Boy or girl?

Hello, I’m chess, I have a new corn snake well for about 3 months now. I don’t know how to tell if its a boy or girl, I am going to upload photos soon, Its an albino snake I’m not sure what kind. Hes 22 inches long give or take. He is about to shed. Any info you can give to help take care of it or anything I would be thankful.

OK I’m trying to upload my photos but not sure how. Please help

03/31/11  10:35pm

Chess_white
View Profile

Message To: Chess_white   In reference to Message Id: 2212439

Boy or girl?

The first two are of his head and then how long he is, 22 inches give or take
The last two are his cage, He has a water bowl. A log house and the blue house that has the heat pad. He has sticks to climb on.

03/31/11  10:49pm

Fire Fox
View Profile

Message To: Chess_white   In reference to Message Id: 2212442

Boy or girl?

It looks like your little corn might be a Snow Corn (Anery X Amel) which does indeed have Albino in it. Is the snake’s body more of a white or cream color? Or is it more of a red color? The pics make it a little hard to tell. As for it’s gender, there is no definite way to tell without probing it. When they are really small (a few inches, pretty much right out of the egg) they can be popped. All that means is that you can avert the hemipenes of the male out. If nothing pops out it’s most likely a female. Probing involves a...probe. If the probe goes far down the tail, it’s a male. If it doesn’t, it’s a female. Your snake is at a tricky size as it has enough muscle strength to keep from being popped, and too small to use an appropriate sized probe on. There is 1 more way. It’s not the most accurate but you will have at least a 50/50 chance at sexing it. If you look at the snake’s tail, you may see a slight bulge after the vent. If the tail tapers slowly, you may have a male. If the tail tapers sharply after the vent it could be a female. Also note that the Probing and Popping methods should only be used by experienced people. I’ve personally seen the damage that can be done to snakes when inexperienced people try to sex the animals and it’s not pretty :(

Now the set up. I suggest "cluttering" the middle of the tank a bit more. Fake plants work great or even crumpled up paper. This helps the snake feel more secure when roaming about the tank. I don’t know how the humidity is where you are, but if the snake doesn’t shed in 1 nice piece, you can add a shed hide when it gets ready to shed. Its just a hide with damp moss or even paper towels in it to help the shed process go smoothly. What concerns me most is the lid. It looks like one of those rodent mesh lids. Snakes can squeeze themselves pretty good through small gaps in the corners that these lids leave. you can tape the corners to help prevent that, just make sure that the snake can not touch the sticky side of the tape. Also make sure that when the lid is on, it’s firmly in place and held there. Clips can help hold the lid down and don’t cost much at all. Hope this helps.

04/01/11  10:51pm

Dragonwulf75
View Profile

Message To: Chess_white   In reference to Message Id: 2212442

Boy or girl?

Nice looking snake you have there. I would find a good reptile vet and have them probe it for you to tell you the sex of it.

04/02/11  09:25pm

Snakenator
View Profile

Message To: Dragonwulf75   In reference to Message Id: 2212697

Boy or girl?

get a thin long pole and find the "releasing" area of the snake. gently stick it in the side of the scale. if it goes a long ways it is a boy, and short a girl. or take it to a vet.

04/07/11  10:36am

Tina_Adams
View Profile

Message To: Snakenator   In reference to Message Id: 2213374

Boy or girl?

I would NOT suggest that you try that at all. If you are not intending to breed it can be whatever you want it to be. and if you are then PLEASE use a vet. and enjoy your new baby.

04/18/11  08:41pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Tina_Adams   In reference to Message Id: 2215029

Boy or girl?

Im totally with Tina here. You can rupture their bowel, or do other internal damage if you try to sex a snake yourself and you have NOT been trained by a skilled, gentle expert such as a vet or herpetologist.

Heck, I am fairly knowledgeable- and I WONT DO IT!!

Fire Fox- thank you. Ive been down and mostly away due to a hysterectomy- *crosses fingers for her own post spaying/cancer update appointment tomorrow to bring good news*

Really, before getting a pet- you should do your research- however...sometimes an animal comes to us and then we scramble to do everything right. Good luck with your new snakes. Whether you breed or not (there are more corns being bred right now than there are homes for- and it costs more to feed/house etc...unless you are a large scale breeder you are more likely to loose money in the venture than to break even)

When Im feeling like I can move more (oh my tummy muscles---stabbed in six places for laproscopic surgery but hey- I get to live- so I can deal!) Ill try to post more picks of mine.

04/21/11  09:40am

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area