Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Loony boy   Sw1c   KrazyKelli   Moroccanmint26   Loony boy   1baikim   Loony boy   1baikim  
 Member  Message

Loony boy
View Profile

Anal Seepage

Ok, So my dogs adopted and about 7 years old. At Times I will smell a very fishy, foul smell coming from his but, and on the blanket he lays on has a little wet spot. My family is constantly washing 3-4 blankets a day cause of him doing this. Is their anything we can do? Can we take him to the vets and get his anal glands cleaned or something? please help, Its very irritating.

04/20/08  09:07pm

Sw1c
View Profile

Message To: Loony boy   In reference to Message Id: 1710613

Anal Seepage

somethign shoudl talk to vet about it could be a health issue. and a vet may knwo whats causing it and stop from happening depending what it is.

04/20/08  10:15pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Loony boy   In reference to Message Id: 1710613

Anal Seepage

This depends on the dog, but there may be two reasons for this.

One is a parasite or infection in the bladder/urinary tract. It causes irritation and that causes the leek. This would explain the smell.

The second, which may be more possible if the dog is older, is arthritis. If the dog has pain in the pelvis or legs, it may empty the bladder upon standing up or being let out of a crate.

This is definitely something you have to see the vet about.

04/20/08  10:17pm

Moroccanmint26
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1710757

Anal Seepage

Get his anal gland expressed and checked. I know many people use this form to avoid the vet, but some things are best left to profesionals, not inexperienced know it alls. No offence. Anal glands can get blocked or infected. If the smell is coming from the anus, and no where else, it seems like a common anal gland issue. Vets can express, or squeeze them, until empty. Often this solves the problem. Sometimes they are infected or abscessed and further treatment is needed.

04/23/08  01:49am

Loony boy
View Profile

Message To: Moroccanmint26   In reference to Message Id: 1713121

Anal Seepage

I dont use this forum for a vet alternative, But its always good to know if it is a more serious problem, or simple solution ya know?

04/23/08  05:07pm

1baikim
View Profile

Message To: Loony boy   In reference to Message Id: 1713685

Anal Seepage

What kind of dog is it? I’m in agreement about the anal glands. Anal gland expression is one of the less attractive parts of my job. I know this is disgusting and understand if you don’t want to do it but what we usually do where I’m at is feel the sides of the anus. Do you feel anything that’s round like a ball? If so, the glands need to be expressed. Don’t do it yourself as the dog can be hurt if done the wrong way, and when done it stinks like nothing you’ve ever smelled before. Any good experienced groomer will do it, but like said before you might consider taking him to the vet just in case they’ve already ruptured or become infected.

04/25/08  02:51am

Loony boy
View Profile

Message To: 1baikim   In reference to Message Id: 1715692

Anal Seepage

Its a Jack Russell Terrier(7), and sounds like your job has its ups and downs lol

04/27/08  03:42pm

1baikim
View Profile

Message To: Loony boy   In reference to Message Id: 1718041

Anal Seepage

Quote:

sounds like your job has its ups and downs lol

Why yes it does!

04/30/08  08:47pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area