Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   KrazyKelli   CODA   KrazyKelli   CODA   Ghastly   Ghastly   Ghastly   Turtlemom   Ghastly   BrandyLynn1182   Ghastly   BrandyLynn1182   Ghastly   BrandyLynn1182   Ghastly   Ghastly   BrandyLynn1182   Ghastly   Dragongirl6   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

Recall for a ex racing greyhound?

So i maybe getting a Greyhound he is called Robbie he’s round the 6/7year old mark
He’s jet black with a little white line on his chest absolutly gorgeous!
He was a racing Greyhound until he was almost 6 then he tore a tendon in his back leg and that was the end of the racing days for him
My friend Mari is fostering him for the local ex racing Greyhound rescue so i have met him a few times
and have completly fell head over heels for him
The only down side is he cannot be let off leash as he will be off evan if there isnt a little animal like a cat or another dog he will just run how will i train him with this?
And another thig he is dog agressive but that isnt the problem he wears a baskerville muzzle when out but ignores other dogs just i got a Giant house Rabbit called Harlow she will have her hutch in the spare room when i move to my flat and will only be in the hutch at night time and when im at work and going for groceries other than that she will be hopping around doing her bunny thing how would i stop Robbie for trying to kill her?
As Mari says he is fine with smelling blankets with the small animals scent on but when he see’s the animal it is a different story he has broken leash’s upon leash’s and buckle has came off the coller when he is trying to meet the small animal needless to say he never broken the baskerville muzzle but has ruined the velcro muzzle’s but if he cant bite he will use his feet
So how will i get im to meet Harlow in the house and get him to live in peace with her?
Needless to say he sounds like a horror but is a really REALLY laid back Greyhound just minds his own buissness walks like an angel on the leash unless there is a cat or dog or something then you just put him on the other side of you and he just carries on walking aslong as you are imbetween him and the cat or dog Robbie will ignore the other animal
It’s just trying to get him to live in harmony under the same roof as a Giant Rabbit because if he wont get on with Harlow then im not going to be able to adopt him which i dont want to happen because i love him to bits but i got to respect that Harlow was here before him
So anyone able to help me?
The recall thing i can live with as there is secure pens for dogs in parks etc as he will come back in fenced in places just not in open spaces but i can work on the in time you know?
Just the main question is how to get a ex racer to live with a rabbit?
Thats the main help i need!!
Thanks

12/09/08  07:53am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1911526

You cannot by any means get a trained racing greyhound to not want to chase a small animal. It’s impossible. Your best bet is to keep the rabbit out of harms ways for the remainder of its life if you choose to take on this animal. Others, and I’ll consider that they’ve never dealt with greyhounds, may disagree with me. However you have to realize that this dog has been trained to chase small things since it started its racing career. The ’white rag’ or ’white bag’ they usually use to entice the dog to run is simulating a rabbit. So therefore this equates to the fact that the greyhound you want was basically trained to chase rabbits (and other small furry animals). So when you come in here and say "I have a trained racing greyhound and a rabbit." you have to understand that the trained racing greyhound is Trained to go after said rabbit. End of story. It’s a breed thing, and it’s a toned and enhanced breed thing. It’s like trying to teach a hawk not to hunt small birds and mice or a cheetah not to hunt hooved and running creatures.

Greyhounds have to be on a leash at all times, and this is also something you cannot by any means think twice about. If your greyhound is let loose to run in anything but a long cage run (with a roof), you will loose it forever. It should be noted that if you take it into the backyard to vegetate, it has to be on a lead and has to be monitored. You’ve already stated this one, but the greyhound also has to have a special greyhound-designed muzzle on during walks as well. Other muzzles wont work. It has to be that hardcore cage design or the dog will chew through it. This, as you have also hinted at, is to keep the greyhound from catching and biting small animals, small dogs, or children while you’re out on walks or in company with people outside.

After the dog settles down, provided you keep the rabbit out of view, he should become a couch potato indoors. This can change upon seeing the rabbit, but in all other sense he’ll be much easier to get along with once he settles in.

I don’t know what degree of profession Mari has, but usually greyhound are rehabilitated after racing. Mari should get the greyhound to accept stairways, slick surfaces, public areas, people, children, and other dogs by the time you get him. So that will probably take care of a portion of your problems. If the problems persist via being aggressive towards other dogs, you should contact a behaviorist. I also recommend putting the dog through beginner classes so he’s at least moderately trained on manners regardless of what Mari does.

Every time you get said dog and/or bring him to your house, always do a 40 minute walk beforehand. This will wear down at least a fraction of his tension. Greyhounds have to be walked at least twice a day (preferably more) for extended periods.

12/09/08  12:17pm

CODA
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1911607

having never dealt with greyhounds in particular, this may or may not be helpful. we have a rabbit and a jack russel and a doberman and all get along just fine...also, my wife had a rabbit when she was younger and it lived in harmony with at least 3 rabbit hunting beagles. I am pretty sure that rabbits in the wild smell different than rabbits in the house. again i am no expert, but i have seen it work twice, both times with dogs that are none too friendly with small animals generally. plus, since you already have the rabbit in the house before the greyhound, the house should smell of the rabbit and the rabbit of the house, so that may be beneficial to you as well.

12/09/08  12:33pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: CODA   In reference to Message Id: 1911617

Coda, the difference between your rabbit-hunting beagles and the greyhound this person wants is that racing greyhounds spend most of their life either in a kennel or being trained to run and catch a small, fast thing. This dog in question has spent more than half of its life dedicated to chasing and catching. It has not been socialized like a house dog is, has had limited handling, and has not been exposed to most situations in the world. Another thing greyhounds are known for is being sight hounds. They rely on things that move. If something moves or runs, they will immediately go after it. What separates a family greyhound raised from a pup from a racing one is this: the racing dog has had this instinct driven to peak performance; This dog, along with other racing dogs, have spent their entire existence completely towards running and catching prey. Every waking hour in roughly five of six of Robbie’s years has been spent with the soul intention of ’eat, (optionally) take performance medications, exercise, chase, catch.’ At a certain age, usually if the dog is popular, there is then a ’breed breed breed’ rush in there. Most greyhounds, even with today’s rescue, are usually put down immediately after retirement.

That’s why there are so many precautions and rules that have to be undertaken after a racing greyhound is rehabilitated. Including: muzzles always on during a walk and always being on a leash/lead.

You can’t put it in the perspective of a beagle. If a beagle was raised to hunt, they’d know when to let go and let their owners take charge. They’d spend some quality time with their owner to get socialized and trust the owner. Then they’d be trained to specifications. A greyhound is trained to run and catch with absolutely no limits. They aren’t trained to hold back, they aren’t socialized in a sense that an owner would love their dog. Racing greyhounds are born, pumped up, and let loose to go after a single goal for the profit of human gambling.

12/09/08  01:50pm

CODA
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1911666

that was very well put. i was not aware that greyhounds are sight hunters, i cite my own ignorance of the breed. that certianly blows any comparison out of the water and i thank you for properly informing me.

Ghastly, i apologize for my misinformation and, standing corrected with a slightly damaged ego..haha, i wish you, the rabbit (im sure you posted the name and i can’t remember) and Robbie luck and i am sure you are responsible and smart enough to make it work and keep all happy.

12/10/08  12:12pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1911607

Quote:

Your best bet is to keep the rabbit out of harms ways for the remainder of its life if you choose to take on this animal.

Im not being funny but Harlow (the rabbit) is not evan a year old she may only live 4 - 5years due to her being a giant but obviously i will do the best to keep her out of harms way but its keeping harm out of her way she will pick a fight with anything and anyone she will try to pick fights with the famly Labrador when my Dobermann and Rottweiler were alive she tried to pick fights with them but they just ran away so i could try and keep Robbie out of the way but its really trying to keep Harlow out of Robbies way you know? And im not confining her to her bedroom just because of the dog as i said in my last post she was there before him and therefore the dogs to respect that

Quote:

So therefore this equates to the fact that the greyhound you want was basically trained to chase rabbits (and other small furry animals).

Robbie doesnt bother with small animals when they are in cages he met my Chinchilla (Kyoko) and my Gerbil and he never looked twice at them in the cage he evan met Harlow (Rabbit) in her hutch like Kyoko and my Gerbil he didnt look again just a sniff then turned away

Quote:

If your greyhound is let loose to run in anything but a long cage run (with a roof), you will loose it forever.

What do you mean by this qoute? I can let Robbie of in the specially encloused pens in the dog park they are not little long runs these are like a field in the dog park like another dog park in a dog park lol

Quote:

You’ve already stated this one, but the greyhound also has to have a special greyhound-designed muzzle on during walks as well. Other muzzles wont work. It has to be that hardcore cage design or the dog will chew through it.

The muzzle’s Robbie has/has has are specially designed for Greyhounds both his velcro and his baskerville muzzle they arent just any old muzzle from the local pat store there proper greyhound muzzles

Quote:

This, as you have also hinted at, is to keep the greyhound from catching and biting small animals, small dogs, or children while you’re out on walks or in company with people outside.

Robbie doesnt try to catch nor bite/kill the animal he just wants to chase it the muzzle is just there for a precaution as you never know if he will try to bite it but no Robbie just wants to chase as for biting people NO he doesnt evan look twice at people he pretty much ignores people on a walk and just looks at his surrondings i dont mean for me to sound rude here but in my last post i did state he was 100% people friendly if he wasnt then i would of said so please dont jump to that conclusion i get quite annoyed with idea jumping when people hear or see a dog with a muzzle no matter what breed

Quote:

don’t know what degree of profession Mari has, but usually greyhound are rehabilitated after racing. Mari should get the greyhound to accept stairways, slick surfaces, public areas, people, children, and other dogs by the time you get him. So that will probably take care of a portion of your problems. If the problems persist via being aggressive towards other dogs, you should contact a behaviorist. I also recommend putting the dog through beginner classes so he’s at least moderately trained on manners regardless of what Mari does.

Mari is excidenly good with her Greyhounds and has good knowledge of racers she does everything with the ex racers she fosters she does introduce them to new inviroments and does heplp retrain them until they go to a new home like me she was in my vet nurse class and dog training class but i left all that to do tattooing apprentaship but trust me mari is a excellent person when it comes to dogs as she knows me well she is fully aware with what i will let my dog away with and what rules they MUST follow and is already doing that with Robbie for me so please dont think bad views of her she puts alot of dedication and time into helping these Greyhounds and evan goes out of her way to help the ones she doesnt foster and as for the aggression he isnt struck on other male dogs as he was raised with females when young which were also Greyhounds so therefore he is fine with females just not males

Quote:

Every time you get said dog and/or bring him to your house, always do a 40 minute walk beforehand. This will wear down at least a fraction of his tension. Greyhounds have to be walked at least twice a day (preferably more) for extended periods

I visit Robbie everytime i am off work which is 2 or 3days a week i am with him from round 9am until 4pm and that is just walking around the country and woods so i can commit to the walking hours and how many they get i gave my Dobermann and Rottweiler 2 walks that were on leash for 30mins and 3 hour longh walks off leash they got that everyday which is excluding the deer herding they got everyday also so i can fully walk my dogs plus they came to work with me they just slept in the studio whilst i worked then i took them for a walk to relieve on my breaks that was if my partner was working if he wasnt then they never came to work with me and Robbie will get the exact same only minus no herding deer lol

12/10/08  05:01pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: CODA   In reference to Message Id: 1911617

Quote:

plus, since you already have the rabbit in the house before the greyhound, the house should smell of the rabbit and the rabbit of the house, so that may be beneficial to you as well.

Hmm never thought of that that may work
Plus like what you said about you wife owning a rabbit when younger that lived with hunting beagles
Could just happen heres hoping with my bad luck it works

12/10/08  05:05pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1911666

Quote:

racing greyhounds spend most of their life either in a kennel or being trained to run and catch a small, fast thing. This dog in question has spent more than half of its life dedicated to chasing and catching. It has not been socialized like a house dog is, has had limited handling, and has not been exposed to most situations in the world

Well despite Mr. Robbie being a rescue his previous owner did say how he was raised to the center he was raised in a home enviroment and despite that he was a great racer he was never taught to catch just to chase hense what i was saying in my last post bout how he just wants to run after not anything else and how the muzle is on for a precaution he was treated like a house pet and was exposed to everyday things just like a normal dog would be only he had a jobto do which was to run other than that he was brought up from a puppy just the same as a normal pet dog

12/10/08  05:12pm

Turtlemom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1912265

Ghastly,

If you adopt Robbie, don’t EVER,EVER,EVER!!!!!!! leave Harlow loose when you’re not around to supervise.

I considered adopting a retired Greyhound. At the time I was fostering feral cats. The foster mom told me that some dogs can live with small creatures, HOWEVER (as Kelli said) they are sight hounds and trained to chase, therefore if the little critter startles them from a sound sleep, their instinct may be to go after it. Because of that, I didn’t adopt.

I worked for a vet and knew several rescued racers. They were great, gentle dogs. But none of their owners trusted them with small, furry pets. When they weren’t around, the dog stayed downstairs and the cats stayed up.

Just remember that Robbie was trained to chase small objects/animals. I don’t think you can ever change that behavior. So if you do adopt Robbie, when you leave the house, make sure Harlow is safely away. Only allow interaction when you are there to supervise.

Good luck, you’re a good pet mom who I’m sure will do the right thing.

12/11/08  12:14am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Turtlemom   In reference to Message Id: 1912510

Thanks Turtlemom trust me i would never ever ever ever EVER trust Robbie alone with Harlow!!!
Evan if he did get used to being around her i would still be watching him like a hawk
Me and my boyfriend Al have been speaking about adopting Robbie and i have been talking with Mari
She doesnt think that Robbie will be able to live with Harlow who is a free roaming rabbit only if she was kept in her hutch all the time (which is only at night, when me or al is at work and when out for grocery’s) Mari knows Robbie really well she’s had him for 5months now longest she’s had a rescue for and reckons he would kill her if left unsupervised and evan supervised
But me and Al are speaikng about not fostering Robbie as we got to put Harlow into consideration that she was here before Robbie and also her life you know
So at the moment its is a 30/50 chance we will foster him

12/15/08  10:27am

BrandyLynn1182
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1914765

I think its a wonderful and thoughtful thing to foster Robbie Ghastly.
I don’t have personal experience with Greyhounds, but from what I’ve read in books in the years I’ve studied dogs in general, you may want to pass since he’s a former racer. I didn’t thoroughly read through EVERY last bit of LONG posts (now I know how people feel with my posts sometimes haha!), but I did skim through them. I believe I remember Kelli writing to the effect of the life of a racing Greyhound and she’s pretty on. I mean I’ve seen retired racers walking @ the reservoir by my home while I’m out with my girls, PERFECTLY behaved. I always like to speak to dog owners while out (part of my P.P.E. - Public Pitty Education) The ones with Greys always say it took TONS of behavior modification and intense training. There is a private rescue about 5 minutes from where I live and all the Greys are in LOOOOOONG outdoor kennel runs that are about 5-6 feet high and the tops are 1/4 wood (for shade common sense would tell me) and the other 3/4 is fencing. I don’t know how wide they are (can’t tell driving by) but they are quite large. She has them all butted up to a (former) horse stable which I thought a brilliant idea. Anyway, let me jump back...most of the time the walkers don’t have them with other pets just as a safety precaution which is always wise with many breeds unless they’ve been raised with "little fuzzies" and the like. My Pitties are fine with rabbits, but kill squirrels in the yard. They like Chickens, but not Turkeys (think its size). Its hard with any breed, but you always want to play it safe and since Harlow (love that name) was there first...well...yanno. Don’t know if that helped at all, but I hope it did in some way.
-Brandy

12/15/08  07:37pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: BrandyLynn1182   In reference to Message Id: 1915025

Cheers very much Brandy Lynn :)
See i like Greyhounds but if i were to ever get one it would be a ex racer just for a better life after there racing days and so they can experience a real loving home you know?
Same as if Robbie was a ex hunting Golden Retriever lol just to give them a home and to feel good about that

See as what you were saying about the Greyhounds in your area Robbie too is well behaved just doesnt give a care in the world about anything and just totally laid back he likes his own space and isnt all human attention craving (which i love that about him as i like space between human and dog)

And i FULLY understand with the re-trainng and behaviour training also that WILL take lot of time
See you are SOOO lucky were you live with the Greyhound rehabilitation place we have absolutly jack sh1t like that around here you need your dog trained then you do it yourself but obviously we do have the puuppy/juvenale and adult training obidience class’s but for experience trianing like what you were saying for the Greyhounds you pretty much do it yourself as its such a fortune over here

Norway’s such a expensive place to live let alone to get a private trainer to help like dont get me wrong id love to do it and i could i got a stable income by selling deer to other farms for either food or breeding but after a few lessons with the trainer its going to get harder and harder for the training so hense why Mari has had Robbie for so long as no-one has the money or proberly time to retrain him by themselves dont get me wrong Mari does train him herself but obviously as you said it will take such along time she has done well and got him to ignore the small furry’s in cages but out of a cage she cant seem to budge it

I’d love to take one of your American Pit Bulls if they weren’t banned here *wave’s fist at goverment and bigger fist at Germany grr* I like American Pit Bulls especially red and white one’s lol and aslong as they get along with Rabbit, Gerbil and Chinchilla then all is well and cats as id like to get my Siamese and Manx at some point lol all is well haha

Lol cheers for liking her name lol she’d send you a headbutt when she hears that (headbutts are Harlow’s affectionate ways lol) she’s got a stinkning attitude but will change at beginning of January when she get spayed *gets out hooray flags*
Got to name a Pit Bull Harlow or me lol preferably Red or Blue one lol XD

You helpt alot i really do want Robbie but as me and Al said when Harlow didnt get put to sleep as she got better we needed to rethink about fostering Robbie and just to clear Harlow is a problem rabbit she got Phuenomia at 14weeks (week after i got her) she pulled through that and now at 7months she’s just got over this parasite that made her paralyzed all over bar her head and neck and when she had that stopped eating for 2weeks and then refused her mush food so she was going to get out down as she was distressed 24/7 and was in agony but 2days before getting put to sleep she started to eat again so is filling out quite nicely again (she must of knew what was going to happen) but since her paste and injections had finished for that she started eating again :/ god only knows what shell get next lol

12/16/08  05:35am

BrandyLynn1182
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1915258

Wow...Harlow is really toughing it out! For a bunny, shes got some fight in her. Many I’ve seen that end up with Pneumonia die even with meds, ESPECIALLY young ones. Being overly stressed usually does them in quick too. You’re lucky, best wishes to her health and hoping she doesn’t get sick again! I just lost 2 of mine last year. My Buck was 6 years old and the Doe was only 10 months. They were outside in their hutch and we had a freak freeze in October. I was devastated.

I think you’ll make the right decision for you and for Robbie. Taking from all of your posts in the forum since I came back onto RZ, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. The only thing I’m wondering about now is working everything out adding Robbie with Jazz and the issue you were having with Al regarding Jazz or is that good now?
-Brandy

12/17/08  12:59pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: BrandyLynn1182   In reference to Message Id: 1916027

Your telling me i thought she had a cold as her nose was all snotty and liked to wipe it on my sleeves and bed linin (eww) and obviously i would wipe her nose and keep her warm with a rabbit hot water bottle under her straw but one evening when i bought her in (she comes in for 4hours a day a hour session sometimes more 4 is just a minimum) when she was smaller she was in a 2 story rabbit hutch she was half and half lying on her back her head and half body was half way down the stiars and her hind body was upstairs i broke into tears thought she was dead i picked her up and she was trying to do her grunt thing to show she was alive and ran to the phone with her as vets wasclosing in 5mins so they stayed open for us my vet said she might not make it as it maybe too late but Baby Girl did and i was so f-ing proud of her :D

Thats such ashame on your Bunnys i understand where you come from in midwinter we get 2weeks of darkness no light and winter here is cold but with no light its evan colder so i moved Harlow’s hutch into the garage and on really bad days i set up my dog crate which is for Mastiif dogs as i had a Dobermann and Rottweiler sharing it they wouldnt sleep apart lol
But i totally understand your devistation of loosing them that would be awful having to loose them like that im all sad :(

Good head lol i got a smart head on my shoulders lmao

The whole thing with the rat Jazz Al REFUSE’s 100% to let that dog move in with us his words are ’’I can only imagine the outcome of you having to live with him’’

Plus his mum has totally claimed Jazz 100% so yay also with Al being around my pets alot he is actually getting quite fustrated with Jazz himself he has realized he likes his space away from dogs himself since he’s never experienced that since going out with me and im excidenly head strong with dogs

They dont go upstairs unless its for a bath and evan then its straight to the bathroom and back down the thousands of steps no noseying around and there not alowed up on furniture no matter what and no begging or getting tip bits unless its like xmas then they get raw turkey in there bowl

And i said to him ’’Bring Jazz but i tell you now before he move’s in he gets castrated then he gets his head kicked in and trained properly as no way im coming home every night and being greeted to that he’ll be getting sorted right out’’ Needless to say Al agreed with me and accepts my idea’s with dogs but he also said if Jazz did come and live with us his mum would be around 24/7 and/or calling to see how the dog is and would MOAN AT ME IF JAZZ HAD CHANGED which is true

Plus his mum isn’t in my good books atm i work with her right and all she talks about is Jazz and she knows i dont like the dog but always brings me in the conversation it’s like ’Isnt he well behaved?’ ’’Umm, no come to my house youll see well behaved dogs’’ (everyone finds that funny) and ’Aint he really cute?’ ’’No, I dont like Collie dogs i think they ugly and i just dont plain like them’’ too which i get a nice big scowl at and ’Aint he cute when he jumps up and kisses you?’ ’’NO, I HATE dogs jumping up at me im nervous about them near my throat and face and you know why and i hate kisses from dogs its discusting!’’ and thats pretty much the conversation at work and it really annoys me and the other workers as all she does is repeat the same thing about Jazz too everyone for 7hours and show the same picture of him on her mobile all day too and none of use freaking care

But ja as i was saying why she is in my bad books Al told me 2nights ago is because she came home on Sunday and said ’’See Harlequin dont like Jazz’’ Al said ’’I know why you bring that up?’’ and Lesley (his mum) said ’’She just bad mouths him all the time at work too everyone’’
Too which i told Al too get a f-ing second opinion of that and told im what i just typed in the paragraph before as thats all she says about him in 7hours is them 3sentences and i told him my replys but he said he dont care and is fully aware that Jazz is all his mum talks about but we ended up falling out that night as i was really pee’d off at his mum for sh1t twisting a story and ignoring the part that she bought me into the conversation and that she was the one talking about Jazz so i got paranoid and evan more angry as i was afraid incase he believed his mum over me but i doubt it but you never now

But yeah see if me and Al dont mention the dog which is never or im not at his we just forget its there unless his mum calls asking when he coming home to take him out then were fine but apart from that i got to listen to his mum for 7hours at the weekend during the week its freaking great as Lesley is just a weekend worker its just she knows i dont like the dog but talks about him as she knows just mentiong the dogs name annoys me as she always looks at me to see if she’ll get a reaction you know?

But hey enought b*tching just filling you in on Al’s family training and the problems i get with mot liking the dog
But ja Al refuse’s to let Jazz move in with us plus he said were only having one dog and it will be my dog as i miss my own dogs so i got to find a Dobermann in rescue or another breed i realy like to adopt from rescue center and thats the only dog in the house
Needless to say lesley will be glad that Jazz will stay with her when Al move’s out but will geton at me that he only left Jazz because i dont like him but me and Al said we will just say that my dog dont get on with other dogs and my parents wouldnt look after it it would have to get rehomed buut she will still nip pick at me for it and his Dad will be like ’’When is your dog moving in with you boy? As its not staying here’’ Al is like 26 in June but his parents treat him like 15 which i find awfully degrading for him

But ja Jazz aint moving in with us HORRAH
Sorry for the long post and the ranting and raving im just trying to keep ya’ll updated lol
Sorry once again though

12/18/08  05:12am

BrandyLynn1182
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1916560

No apologies. It’s your thread! I asked, so...and its good to get things out anyway. Keeping it all in can drive you batty.

It sounds to me like Al’s mom is trying to use Jazz as a weapon to try to come between you and Al, but thats just my opinion.
I was just curious on how that would effect your decision with Robbie and all. so since its not, any updates with that?
-Brandy

12/18/08  08:07am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: BrandyLynn1182   In reference to Message Id: 1916594

:) Thanks hun i just feel bad as there aint that many folk to mention too around here that are head strong and/or good knowledge of dogs so i cant really have full blown conversations lol

See thats what i thought excluding me and Lesley getting on i think she just likes too see what my reactions are when the dog is mentioned and when i go to visit as when i visit i hold both my hands up high and i do honestly admit i dont pay Jazz ANY attention as he jumps up and i say jump im like 6ft 1inch tall and he’ll bounce up higher than me or he’ll run at you jump and kick his 4 feet off your chest which for me isnt that good i got big heart problems i got a small hole in my bottom left chamber and the valve connnecting my bottom chambers doesnt close properly so blood and de-oxygenated blood goes back the way it came and i can just randomly take panic attacks for no reason so for me a dog jumping up near my face which causes me too have a painc attack isnt good let alone it kicking of my cheast can put me in such agony so hense why i completly ignore as i dont want to promote him jumping up in greeting people and if AL’s there he will grab Jazz and smack him and tell him off for jumping up but Lesley she just lets it do as it please’s despite her knowing that the dog bouncing off my chest is agonizing

But anyway back to the topic i got to stop drifting lol its such a bad habbit of mine

But yeah umm so far we are just thinking of leaving Robbie and hope he finds a home with no bunny’s to tempt him like as i was saying in a previous post Mari bless her she has done wonders with Robbies training really come along way she has managed to make him ignore Rabbits, Rats, Hamster, Chinchilla’s, Gerbils etc when they are in a cage he doesnt look twice at them he wont evan look at them and doesnt evan sniff the cage which is a big jump from him chewing the bars on the cage’s and knocking the smaller cages of the shelves she has done a wonderful job with him with that

And like since day one with the cage’s Mari has also tryed to get him too ignore wild/domesticated Rabbits, Cats and Dogs in secure yards and on a walk she’s evan took him too socialization class’s but the killer instinct will just not budge from his brain he just HAS to go for that other animal like i was on a walk with him with Al it was just me, Al and Robbie as a get to know eachother session we went for a walk in the country he saw a cat before me and Al and was almost off but i had the leash tight so he didnt get the cat nor did he get too dart off but he is strong and then we went for a walk around the lake and there was 2 swans and a cygnate i was pooping myself as i hate deep water but he did well as the birds were on my left and i put Robbie on my right so i was between both creatures he watched them and tryed to walk to my other side but just pulled him into place and he done very well

But obviously getting to do the things like the swan thing on a walk is easy but to get him too live with Harlow i dont see it happening as Mari said in my text message ’’He could proberly live with the rabbit if the rabbit was kept in the hutch all day but the second the rabbit is out he’d kill it given the chance and i doubt he’ll get used to it outside of the hutch free roaming around the house’’ Mari’s words she knows im better than me and Al but we are still discussing on if we do adopt him how Robbie and Harlow will be living and where the hutch would be in a room like the spare bedroom is where we would keep it as i wont put her in a shared back yard but she would be in the spare bedroom but it all depends if the spare room is downstairs or upstairs if it’s upstairs its fine as Robbie wont be up there but if its downstairs maybe try getting him used to being near her

When she’s in her hutch think leaving him in the room obviously supervised would that work with the smell of the rabbit geting him too know she’s there?
Or if i put blankets/old bath towels in Harlows hutch for couple of days so her scent gets on them and then put them in Robbies bed or place them around the house and obviously when she’s running around the house which would be when Robbies on a walk so her scent is there also you think that may work?
Just a couple of idea’s i had when thinkning to try and get him used to there being a Rabbit

Cheers very much for being hear listening to my freaking problems i got and for the Greyhound advice
And trouble with a dog i really want that is 95% perfect but the last 5% is of his other animal hating that makes him slightly unperfect
It really quite means alot to me man so cheers very much again :)

12/18/08  06:25pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: BrandyLynn1182   In reference to Message Id: 1916594

Here is a couple of pictures of Robbie from the website

12/18/08  06:34pm

BrandyLynn1182
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1916866

One of the things I do best that doesn’t directly involve dogs all the time is listen to peoples thoughts and troubles and give them feedback if they desire, so any time hun.

Aw Robbie looks like a sweetheart. I can see why you’d fall for him.
I don’t think any sort of scent to territory training would work for him.
I think his instinct and prior training would still urge him to get at her if he saw her loose regardless of who is there because the opportunity is there and I’m sure he’d take it, its like a pre-programmed lifes goal in his brain..."Get the critters!" So I second Mari there, sorry, wish I could say otherwise. I’m sure Mari will do great by him in finding him a home. Will she keep him if she doesn’t or will she move him on to another rescue or organization?
-Brandy

12/18/08  09:01pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: BrandyLynn1182   In reference to Message Id: 1916937

Trust me any feedback at the moment from someone who knows alot about dogs especially rescued dogs really is alot of help to me

Trust me i have fallen for Robbie and i’ve fallen HARD for him i just really want him despite Harlow being there

Hmm so due to his instinctive training he has had growing up and due to it he will obviously go for Harlow and nothing will change that unless i really save my money up and find a specialist trainer to help me

Im sure he would make a pass if given the chance aswell haha

But if i did adopt Robbie which i really want to do and let Harlow have a run around when Robbie is out on his walk and when he eats his meals (he’ll eat in the kitchen and shut the kitchen door) you know just let Harlow out at them times cause then she will get her run around but will be safe as Robbie will either be out the house or shut in the kitchen eating where he wont get desturbed by the rabbit nor myself or Al

Would you think that would be ok? Sorry im asking you if that would be ok just you know with you fostering American Pits you got more experience than me with getting a dog used to something when it comes into your home inviroment as when i have rescued dogs they aint had behavoral problems just needed potty trained or obidience training

Mari wouldnt keep Robbie she will just keep fostering him until someone comes along and so far in the 5months she has had him and ignoring the 3months he was in the rescue shelter so in total the whole 8months in adoption i have been the ONLY person to date that has taken an intrest in him, walked him, bought him toys and rawhide and evan looked at him and made phone call to the Greyhound rescue

Mari cant move Robbie to another rescue he ’’belongs’’ to Greyhound Rescue only thing Mari can do is refuse to foster him and then foster another Greyhound which if she did poor Robbie would have to go back into the kennel inviroment what he doesnt do so well in hense why he got fostered but Mari isnt wanting to get another dog to foster until Robbie finds a home she isnt the type of person to give up on a dog

But i am thinking like what i said in a few paragraphs before about letting the Rabbit out only when Robbie isnt in the flat im thinking about bending my living ways to make ends meet

12/20/08  12:19pm

Dragongirl6
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 1917699

Has the rabbit ever been around dogs? Usually what triggers the chase instinct in a dog is when the rabbit runs. If you have an outgoing, social rabbit you might not have a problem.

However, I would suggest choosing one room of the house to keep the rabbit in, and keep the door shut at all times. The rabbit will have plenty of space in the room, and you can put the dog in a kennel to give the rabbit exercise in the rest of the house.

I have seen people with lots of different animals that don’t get along in the same house. It’s all in how you manage it. Do not expect your dog to magically think your rabbit is a friend and not a meal : ) but if you’re smart about it and you keep them separate everyone should be safe.

I’ve even seen people with dog aggressive dogs living with other dogs. You just have to make sure they are not in the same room at the same time, train them as well as possible, have a divider in your yard, etc. etc.

I’m not saying it isn’t a lot of work, but it’s definitely possible.

Good luck!

12/20/08  02:29pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Dragongirl6   In reference to Message Id: 1917759

Ja my rabbit has been exposed to all types of animals and she loves dogs and cats

Well the hutch will be kept in the spare room along with my chinchilla as they both have huge custom made homes so it will be the animal room lol the door will be kept open unless the rabbit or chinchilla is having a run around in there room

If the rabbit gets a run around the house it will be when Robiie is out for a walk or shut in the kitchen to eat his meals in peace

Trust me i never think a cat or dog would be friends with her or with eachother
Im smart they shall be safely kept lol

Thats quite cool having dog aggressive dogs living together but im gladly not in that pickle lol thank god for that lol but i guess with the size of my rabbit she could be counted as a dog since she is when it comes to vet bills haha

I agree it is a LOT of work but i suppose if you are head strong on making things happen then i guess you would make ends meet you know

Cheers for saying its possible given a little ray of light to my day which has been quite sucky lol

:)

12/21/08  02:20pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area