Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ammeratsu   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Leoman911   Reptilover1   Ammeratsu   Leoman911   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   KrazyKelli   Ghastly   Marissa4   Marissa4   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Rodikenley   Rodikenley  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Is it true?

That dogs can’t have soy sauce? When I got Rikka, her breeder told me that dogs can’t have soy sauce, and he mentioned it several times. But I’ve never found another source on it besides him.

I already know about chocolate and grapes, and I’ve always been super careful not to leave any say sauce where she might be tempted.

03/20/10  05:14pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2134543

Is it true?

Not only is soysauce ridiculously salty, but dogs lack the necessary gut juices to digest soy beans. Some crappy dog foods have it in small amounts and it goes straight through the animal.

There’s a bigger issue in giving a dog soy. You can compare feeding soy to a dog like putting a leopard gecko or bearded dragon on calcisand. It may look pretty/seem healthy, but if the animal consumes too much it can cause issues. In those lizards it causes impaction. In dogs it can cause bloat.

03/20/10  06:05pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2134549

Is it true?

On the by, you can look all this up on google by searching ’dogs eat soybeans’.

03/20/10  06:06pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2134551

Is it true?

Wow I didn’t know that either but I always knew about the choclate seen a dog die from it on tv and the grapes I found out about a year ago but itried giving it to my dogs and they didn’t eat it anyway lol

03/21/10  06:25pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2134789

Is it true?

I knew about all three of those, and mostly understand why, but not with the grapes. So out of curiosity, why are grapes bad???????

03/22/10  10:30pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135211

Is it true?

Apparently they’re not bad for every dog. Just some have bad reaction. From what I’ve heard, it causes kidney failure sometimes.

So, you know. Not bad for every dog, but the risk of kidney failure means you probably want to make sure you’re dog doesn’t get grapes. =P

And thanks for the info on soy. For some reason, it didn’t really occur to me that soy sauce is made of soy, lol.

03/22/10  11:02pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2135224

Is it true?

Yup its made of soy beans and I just recently learned that in a history class

03/22/10  11:28pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2135233

Is it true?

Anything citric is supposed to be bad for dogs as it damage’s there stomach lining is which i learned at college, i personally never had any hands on experience as i don’t allow my dogs or any visiting to get food i eat unless its raw/cooked eggs or raw meat.

Baked beans aren’t good for dogs either as they can’t digest them my lecturers Staffy was part of a unwanted litter (the dog got pregnant a week before she was due to get spayed and we don’t have dog abortions here) the woman that owned the dog neglected the puppies and fed them baked beans instead of giving them mums milk, needless to say Chilli was the only surviver of 10 pups she was rescued by the local animal service in Oslo. So i presume any other type of bean is due to them not being able to digest them?

03/23/10  03:30pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135407

Is it true?

I just won’t EVER allow him to eat grapes then (I do have them out a lot cuz my bearded dragon loves them!!!). And what person in the entire world would just feed their new dogs baked beans??? GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!

03/23/10  03:55pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135427

Is it true?

Baked beans cant be digested by adult dogs let alone newborn puppies so it was a painful and quick death for them, disgusting since the mother was apparently "pampered like royalty" but she got rehomed also when Chilli was collected as the woman didn’t want a "tainted" dog nor a lactating female to care for *rolls eyes* some people

Ah Beardies are well cute my college had a pair a male and female named Clarabelle and Ozzy (siblings not a breeding pair). Clarabelle took a huge shine to me but she died as the already apparent "pre-washed" vegetable was pre-washed that good as it still had pesticide on it (a autopsy was done on her) then Ozzy died a matter of days later nothing popped up in his autopsy so was put down to loss of his sister... poor souls :(

03/23/10  05:58pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135480

Is it true?

Yep - they’re cute, but little stinkers :) I think a lot of times I’m dealing with a very small 2 year old!!! But even if baked beans weren’t toxic, who on earth would think they were okay for feeding puppies???

03/23/10  06:52pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135498

Is it true?

I didn’t word my sentence together properly she wanted the puppies dead she didn’t want to raise them until they were 8 weeks old to give them to a home and was apparently too ashamed to give them to a shelter so decided to kill them with baked beans.

Hopefully that is clearer ^^

03/23/10  06:55pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135501

Is it true?

The puppies would have died no matter what was fed to them if they were too young to take anything outside of milk. Their digestive systems would have had a fit. I don’t think the beans were entirely to blame.

Then again, I can’t confirm the bean knowledge.

But I felt it spiffy enough and on topic to mention that onions are another bad thing to feed dogs. Onions can mess up a dog like none other.

And potatoes. You can’t feed a dog potatoes because it causes severe constipation.

Lastly, about chocolate: it is not a by all end all killer of dogs. If a dog accidentally eats a KitKat, they aren’t going to be singing old yeller. I once knew a large dog that ate a whole box of chocolates and simply had the runs for a week. However young and small dogs are easily the most effected by chocolate and the theobromine (caffeine type) within. If any dog ingests straight powdered chocolate, such as that used in making hot chocolate or baking dishes, they are in the most danger and should see a vet. Chocolate is simply the most commonly known thing because in the 90s purse dogs were fed chocolate, cookies, and ice cream all the freaking time. People thought, "Well, since I can eat it and I like it, then foofoo will love it as well!" Then there was a mass of dogs with organ failures, digestive screw ups, shock cases, and death.

On a similar note, most dogs that get into medicine cabinets or chew up prescription bottles commonly die of a caffeine OD. Dogs can’t take caffeine as well as humans. The same with cats.

03/23/10  07:59pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2135516

Is it true?

Quote:

Dogs can’t take caffeine as well as humans. The same with cats.

Same with me despite having heart problems the stuff make’s me feel very ill mainly in coffee and tea (which just tastes awful in general) like’s of fizzy juice it doesn’t affect me so bad but then again i don’t really like fizzy drinks too much ^^

03/23/10  08:03pm

Marissa4
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135518

Is it true?

dogs arent suppose to eat onions either.. thought i would just add... lol

well my dogs eat everything that we drop and so far they are alive (i got this crazy puppy who once ate half an onion!! and a prune and strawberrys and grapes and basically everything) (and this other dog ate an entire bag of hersiess that was ment for halloween) but he lived to be 12 and so far this puppy is mighty healthy!

PS. we dont try to feed them, but if we or someone drops it, they eat it before we can pick it up...

03/23/10  08:53pm

Marissa4
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2135531

Is it true?

ohhh my bad, the onion thing has been broughten up already. sorry

03/23/10  09:04pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2135535

Is it true?

My rat terrier, Lilly (who I started calling "Hoover" - you know, after the vacuum cleaner???) was the same way :) Once she got into a tube of neosporin and ate the whole thing. Talk about giving a dog the runs!!!!!!!!

You’re right - chocolate is just probably the most well known of all "no-no" foods for dogs........and I had heard that about onions

Ghastly - that’s even worse!!! Not wanting the responsibility so just taking care of it by feeding the beans. That’s MUCH worse than plain, sheer ignorance in my opinion!!!

03/23/10  10:40pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135561

Is it true?

Quote:

Ghastly - that’s even worse!!! Not wanting the responsibility so just taking care of it by feeding the beans. That’s MUCH worse than plain, sheer ignorance in my opinion!!!

I agree but it just goes to show you on what some people are like in my opinion bagging them and buring them or drowning would of been a quicker death instead of bloating them up for a couple of weeks until they pretty much exploded

03/24/10  06:46am

Rodikenley
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2135531

Is it true?

Same here and my dog will be turning 13 in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!

05/26/11  06:38pm

Rodikenley
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135518

Is it true?

uh huh

05/26/11  06:39pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area