Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Exotics Forum

Chaos11   Angelkitty   Chaos11  
 Member  Message

Chaos11
View Profile

Hedgehog foaming

everytime i take my hedgehog out to roam around, at some point he’ll stop and start licking his quills on the side of his body. i notice after that, that there is a thick white foam left on his quills, and sometimes on my carpet/bed (wherever he is).

Now do they just have very thick saliva, or is there some sort of problem here?

11/14/08  11:59am

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Chaos11   In reference to Message Id: 1898360

Hedgehog foaming

It’s call self anointing. If your hedgehog smells something he likes or if he simply comes across a smell that he is unfamiliar with, such as leather, perfume, etc., he will foam at the mouth and will then deposit this foamy saliva on his back and shoulders. In an effort to cover as much of their backs as possible with this foam, many hedgehogs will contort their bodies in such a way that they will sometimes fall over. Many hedgehogs become so engrossed with this activity that they become totally oblivious to anything going on around them! No one is really certain why hedgehogs perform this unusual behavior (more often seen in males than females) but there is no shortage of theories. One possible explanation is that they are trying to remember a particular smell by mixing it with the saliva and then depositing it on the spines. Another is that the foam acts as a repellent or toxin to a hedgehog’s enemies. Whatever the reason, though, self-anointing is a normal occurrence and is no cause for alarm

My hedgehog that I owned about about 15 years use to do this all the time. Hope this helps.

Angel

11/14/08  08:40pm

Chaos11
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1898619

Hedgehog foaming

thanks that helped a lot

11/19/08  06:17pm

Back to Exotics Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area