Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frilled Dragons Forum

87rx7chick   87rx7chick   Dead eye   87rx7chick   Kidmuathai   87rx7chick   Kidmuathai   87rx7chick   Clragon   Kidmuathai  
 Member  Message

87rx7chick
View Profile

WHERE TO BUY A FRILL and HOW TO CARE FOR NEW FRIEND

ok since people wont stop asking i am making a thread as clear as day....

LLLreptile.com
http://www.switzerreptiles.com/id6.html

both these places are in southern california. they actually do business between eachther and have great quality reptiles

LLL lists whether their reptiles are captive bread, long term captive, or imported/farm raised. never buy farm raised, the parasites you bring into your home will infect your other reptiles and they most likely will be sick and stressed and die soon. long term captive is OK under the conditions that LLL knows the supplier has kept them for 4+ months and the reptile young, long term captive is still risky though.

there are many avalible captive bred frill dragon hatchlings as they become more popular. there is no need to buy imported, captive bred are about the same price now a days.

there are many other places that offer frill dragons but if you can not ask some questions threw email or phone call then dont bother with ordering one threw that person.

GOOGLE. google is your friend. google to research the seller and find if they have healthy reptiles or not.

things to ask:

how long has the frill been in their care
how old is the frill
what conditions the frill is in currently IE: in an enclosure with X amount of other frills
ask the seller the humidity requirements and temp requirements and feeding requirements, if they cant answer you then they dont know themselves and may not be caring for the frill properly (65-75% humdity 85-90 degrees with hot basking spot no cooler then 80 durring day)

when your frill arives to your door you should already have the tank set up, warm, and humidity high as possible.

set up your bath tub with about 3-4 crickets. LLL recomends you dont feed your frill , this may be because it may be to cold to digest its meal (body temp of about 90) so its your own judgment. but this is what i do.

i close the drain on the tub. toss in 3-4 crickets and leave the bathroom for about 10-15 min. if the frill is in good health and is not stressed it should eat , if it does then you know your frill is pretty tough mentally and it should be a nice pet :) (in my experience these pets that eat first are later down the line stable eaters with less issues)

after about 10-15 min fill the tub with about 1-3 inches of water depending on size of frill. most tubs are angled down to drain. just make sure the farthest area of tub has some water. soak your frill for 15-30 min.

remove frill and place them in their enclosure and cover the front so they can not see out. cover the sides all around for at least 14 days. then lower the cover to about 1/2 of the enclosure so they can see out but only from the top half. doing so will prevent clawing at glass and nose rubbing and trying to get out. yes you may want to see your pretty new frill dragon but please for its own good dont let it see out for a week or 2.

keep handleing at minim for first 2 weeks. only go in to change water, mist, spot clean and place food in and remove uneaten crickets. let it adjust and learn to feel safe it the enclosure. and DONT try to change the enclosure around like 5 times till you get it how you like it lol... it doesnt care how the enclosure looks as long as he can climb and reach hotter area.

humidity:
should be 65% or higher threw out most of the week with a few days to dry out some time durring the week to avoid mildew mold and natts. the key to humidity is reduce as much screen area as you feel safe. i reduce my enclosures to 80-90% coverd. one enclosure i have made in germany has only 2% of the enclosure actual vent strips. in this enclosure i have 4 inch computer fans blowing air in to deliver the needed freash air.

reducing area of the screen can involve placing custom cut plexi glass pieces over the screen. using tin foil. and or plastic kitchen wrap. plexi glass can be purchased at home improvement stores, Lowes has a plexi glass cutter so you can cut your pieces easy.

my enclosures stay 65% - 75% for 1-3 days depending on temp of my house.

temps:

depending on the size of the enclosure depends on the amount of light needed.

in my 100 gallon long tank i have 100 watts spot basking bulb on one side. and 75 watts on other side along side 2 normal home 60 watt bulbs (in a hood). screen top has plexi all areas besides where the
spot lights are and uvb lights are.
heres the picture of my 100 gallon tank enclosure

this next tank shows a 40 gallon tank with 24 inches of expantion on the top creating an arboreal tank. i used the top screen on the front and the rest of the front is a piece of plexi. it is attached using velcro, staples to the wood (message me for details!!!) because the front was pretty open i avaraged 45% humidity. i had to use plastic wrap and clear tape to create a moisture barrior to keep in moisture. now it stays at 65% for about 2 days.

so you ask yourself. if the humidity is up do i still need to mist daily? YES!!!

you cant rely on the water dish to deliver the frills hydration needs. fill your mister up with the hottest watter from your sink. when it lands on your frill dragon it will be warm and comfortable to him instead of a splash of cold water. this will actually encourage licking and the frill will start drinking the misting water. its key to keeping your frill hydrated well!!!

water bowl

change water daily if not as soon as you see fecal matter. great way for a parasite infection to happen is re-exposure to parasites in water. frills can live with mild parasite activity. when they poop in their water the parasites are in the water. when the frill goes back ot drink or soak it will re-infect itself raising the amount of parasites in their body. so its very important to always change out the water!!!!

feeding

super worms are great, meal worms are horrible, wax worms are a treat, earth worms are high in protien, pinkies and hoppers are high in fat and calcium, roaches are the BEST (dubia are so awesome) crickets like to bite and chew on a sleeping frill and die easy and smell stinky.

i feed gut loaded roaches and super worms. super worms eat just bout anything. so do roaches. roaches live about a year and give birth to live young. females have no wings males have wings. they require just an under tank heater, some food (cricket food or roach food, bearded dragon food ect) and some water crystals or wet vegies like carrots potattos apples any scraps you may have left over from cooking.

roaches require little attention and mine went 4 months with out me touching them only having 4 adults die off. thats a hardy food supply!!!

they look like rolly pollies and dont bite or chew on your sleeping reptile!!!

recommendation for dubia suppliers please send me a message :)

in closing, if i missed any spelling errors i am sorry. i just wanted to bust this info out as fast as possible!! ask questions, get answers!!!

12/29/09  03:15pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2109000

(2nd tank mentioned above)

12/29/09  03:21pm

Dead eye
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2109001

This helped me out. Good job.

12/30/09  07:02pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Dead eye   In reference to Message Id: 2109366

i must remind every one the importance of double checking where the frills came from. both sellers i listed above infact do also import reptiles. though they may also carry captive bred since they are easy to find in the states, they may also import the frills from time to time.

please ALWAYS ask no matter if they are listed as captive bred or not. its very important to get information from the seller like i mentioned above. asking key questions and finding out if they are in good care or not.

kingsnake.com has many sellers, but not all are reputable. its always risky when dealing with the Internet. buyer beware.

i have had success with lll, and switzer hence why i recomend.

i dont recomend HAHAreptile also known as reptile city, or shelly’s critters.

01/02/10  05:13pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2110125

i got mine from lll and she was in great shape and still is

01/05/10  12:17am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2110813

LLL does infact import their frills, i have talked to scott from LLL and he assures me that they deal strictly with an importer that sends them quality captive hatched.

kidmuathai, awesome to hear that you have a healthy imported frill dragon.

LLL does have a good rep and i dont see them doing anything such as selling sickly dragons/lizards online.

i have heard issues about snakes, i am not a snake person but i would assume its harder to assess a snakes health then a lizard?

either way . always do research, always know what your buying and always expect imported to require a lot of care and medical attention.

always buy smart. and ask a lot of questions

01/07/10  12:05am

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2111466

ya, im not much of snake person either. and id much rather buy from a breeder then from lll or any online place for that matter. one big reason is the interaction between the animals. such as ones ive seen hatched in posts here. u get a much better quality animal, and they are alot more comfortable with human interaction. isis is starting to come around. after almost 6 solid months of working with her i can hold her for about half an hour before she wants to go play. before then it was ... touch me and ill kill u.

01/10/10  07:47pm

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2112551

touch me and i’ll kill you is alot like my Sail fin dragon. but its more like " put your hand in my enclosure and i’ll attack you"

i heard from a friend that i should just wait till he gets a bit older and he’ll come around. alot like rino iguanas so i have heard.

i have not ever had issue with frills that i have gotten that were about 35 grams. body lenth about 2 inches or so. i would assume they were imported hatchings since thats what lll gets and what my pet store must have gotten though they said they were from florida. i would assume imported to florida and shipped out to pet store.

never had an issue except for the older frill i bought. she was about 5 months old and was on deaths door when i got her.

buying very young and starting early as possible with hatchings from pet stores (That know what they are doing) is a good rule of thumb. dont buy anything to old.... the older the are the easier it is for them to hide illnesses that may pop up soon after it arrives as stress sets in :(

breeders always take better care of their reptiles and when they post we need to saport them . but i posted this thread because of all the new members looking for frills over and over again posting and posting... got kind of annoying @_@

01/11/10  12:21am

Clragon
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2109000

This is some really great and helpful info. Does it all apply for recieving a very young frilly. I will be getting mine from lllreptile on Wednesday and just want to know if I should feed and soak him along with some of the other stuff you said because he is only about 8 inches I’m not sure about age but at that size I’m expecting fairly young I appreciate any info.

01/11/10  03:08pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Clragon   In reference to Message Id: 2112846

i personally would give him a drink, and let him adjust a bit beofre the soak. just make sure he has a good source of water to jump into in the cage. isi still oves to splash around a few times a day

01/11/10  08:45pm

Back to Frilled Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area