Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frogs Forum

Cichniss   Keristen   Cichniss   Lovetheleo  
 Member  Message

Cichniss
View Profile

Pacman frog diet?

Hello, i am going to be getting a pacman frog soon after i setup my tank for it. The tank will be a 40 gallon vivarium. I know it is kind of overkill but i am sure the frog doesnt mind more space and i already had the tank. Now my question is what would be a good healthy diet to get the pacman on? I will be purchasing the frog while it is still about 1.5" in size so i was thinking that a staple of crickets supplemented with waxworms, mealworms, small eaarthworms, and possibly guppys would be appropriate for his small size. But i dont really know how much to feed him. Maybe like 4 crickets a day? I would also like to know what i should feed him as he gets larger. And if you have any other general pacman frog info i would appreciate it. Thank you.

01/12/08  12:30pm

Keristen
View Profile

Message To: Cichniss   In reference to Message Id: 1576586

Pacman frog diet?

I just got one he is around the size of a qaurter,He is still growing so i feed him 3 crickets every day if he does not eat them over night i take them out and try again.make sure you place some cricket feed or a slice of apple in the tank when the crickets are there because pacmans take a while to eat so you dont want the crickets feeding on the frog ,plus with feed they stay "gut loaded" try offering meal worms and small goldfish if its size appropriate .wax worms seems like candy to them if they eat them it sometimes becomes the only thing they want.As he gets larger more fish, pinkey mice and larger crickets are appropriate.You should look up more information before you get the frog that way you dont jepordize their health,you need to make sure to have a humidity gauge, and a temp. gauge.40 gallons seems to be way too much. most the time males full grown can live in a 10, if you want extra room a 20 would be fine, a 40 will be really hard to keep the humidity up and really is over kill but, its up to you just keep in mind just because you have a 40 you cannot keep 2 pacmans in together,well you can if you want to feed them to eachother. Do you know what you need for them what their humidity is,temp,if they neeed a uth,light bulb what wattage.if not you need to do more research before you get the frog

01/13/08  12:49pm

Cichniss
View Profile

Message To: Keristen   In reference to Message Id: 1576946

Pacman frog diet?

Thank you kirsten for your help. I have done plenty of research on pacmans. I already have an uth, the temp will be around 78-80 degrees, and the humidity about 60-70%. Dont worry i am not just a noob getting a pacman with out doing my homework first. I have been keeping many different species of frogs over the last 10 years so it should be fine. I just wanted some clarity in the proper diet for a pacman as i have come across conflicting info on the web. Thank you again for your help.

01/13/08  09:47pm

Lovetheleo
View Profile

Message To: Cichniss   In reference to Message Id: 1577840

Pacman frog diet?

i dont know about the 40 gallon especially for the baby

they wait for the prey to come to them for the most part and in that large of a tank i doubt the food would ever get to him lol

at work we have them in little containers(those betta ones that you can put a divider to make them fit for 2(although they are too small for bettas) anyway when we moved it into a 4 by 8 in tank and they never eat when we move them to the larger tank. there is always food left over but when we move them back they eat all the crickets

so you might want to go smaller at least until he gets bigger mine is in a small kritter cage untill he gets bigger then he is moving to a 10 i think a 40 will be ok for an adult though just not a baby but who knows it might work

01/14/08  12:08am

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area