Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frogs Forum

Lbsmith04   Virus   Tommy & Blueberry   Virus   Pacman500   Rob Sleeper   Andy*   Lbsmith04   Cheeks   Lbsmith04   Albinolover   ILuvMyFrogs!   Cheeks   Cheeks   ILuvMyFrogs!   Cheeks   ILuvMyFrogs!   Zephyr   Cheeks   ILuvMyFrogs!   Cheeks   Cheeks  
 Member  Message

Lbsmith04
View Profile

Frog pee

I have had my white tree frog for a little less than 2 months now. I pick him up about twice a week. For the past two weeks, every time I hold him, he squirts pee all over me. It is not a little dribble. It is enough to hit my shoulders and chest.

My question is, is he scared or trying to be defensive? I have read that these little guys donít mind being handled, but "squirt" doesnít seem to like it too much. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

09/03/05  03:56pm

Virus
View Profile

Message To: Lbsmith04   In reference to Message Id: 465566

Frog pee

Hmm sorry to hear about that. Maybe its when you are handling him its at the wrong times? Try letting the little fellow calm down for a few days and keep his day/night cycle normal then try again. Sorry I couldnt be much of a help.

09/04/05  12:57am

Tommy & Blueberry
View Profile

Message To: Virus   In reference to Message Id: 466217

Frog pee

I got nothing either, but that is so weird! Squirting? My frog (a pacman) will sometimes just trickle on my hand. Your frog is using his pee as a weapon! Tsk-tsk, somebodyís asking for a time-out.

09/04/05  02:31am

Virus
View Profile

Message To: Tommy & Blueberry   In reference to Message Id: 466281

Frog pee

lol

09/04/05  02:39am

Pacman500
View Profile

Message To: Virus   In reference to Message Id: 466288

Frog pee

its beter than monkeys throwing pooh at you . . . . .

09/04/05  10:22am

Rob Sleeper
View Profile

Message To: Pacman500   In reference to Message Id: 466446

Frog pee

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

09/04/05  11:00am

Andy*
View Profile

Frog pee

If u pick him up while he sleeping he will squirt you. Donít worry for yourself as its only water. Worry for your frog tho as he may become dehydrated - so its best to put him back in the water. I only hold my frogs at night after they have woken up.

Andy

09/06/05  10:49am

Lbsmith04
View Profile

Message To: Andy*   In reference to Message Id: 469214

Frog pee

The only time he "pees" on me is after I have held him for five minutes or more. I think he likes to scare the crud out of me!!

09/06/05  07:04pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Frog pee

I know why he does like to be handled(spelling?) because you donít handle him a lot. You should hold him everyday. My Dumpy Tree Frog Humphrey(or Fatty Mc Fat Fat thatís Humphreyís nickname) loves to be held. He love his head rubbed and his mouth rubbed. Try holding him more and try to find out what he likes. Like does he like to sit on your lap or sit on your shoulder(spelling?)Humphrey likes both.

Dana AKA Cheeks

09/09/05  12:46pm

Lbsmith04
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 472715

Frog pee

Thank you very much. I will try holding him more often after I clean his cage tomorrow. I have read that they donít like to be held, so I kept my distance. But now I will try holding him more. I do know that he likes to be on the carpet and go exploring(but not too far.)

Thanks for the advice

09/09/05  07:19pm

Albinolover
View Profile

Frog pee

i had a frog like that and he did that and its a defense thing ok bye

09/25/05  04:54pm

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

Message To: Lbsmith04   In reference to Message Id: 473121

Frog pee

Itís really not a good idea to handle any frog too much, frogs are more of a "look but donít touch" kind of pet!

It is because of this, that the defensive "pee" is perfectly normal. If a predator in the wild approaches & the frog does this- the predator is distracted & the frog can make itís escape in the split second which it takes.

WTFs are usually pretty tolerant of being handled but can easily get cold & dry if out for too long, especially if made to sit on your clothes & shoulder(why?)- fibres from clothing will stick to & irritate the frogs skin (even if you canít see them!) It really is not a good idea.

If you really must handle ALWAYS do so with wet hands, & only handle for a short amount of time, the oils in human skin can react with a frogs skin. (& Vice Versa in some cases!)

Anyway, I hope that helped,
Gem

09/25/05  06:05pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 490465

Frog pee

Be quiet. Dumpy Tree Frogs r a kind of frog that love to be held.I have one that loves to be held and have his mouth and his head rubbed. Acually he gets upset when I donít hold him. They r the one frog the love to be held.

10/02/05  01:34pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 472715

Frog pee

I know which one is male and which one is female! Would like to breed them. Could u tell me about breeding Dumpy Tree Frogs? Kiwi is the male and Humphrey is the female. This is how I can tell..... Kiwi croaks a lot and I see his throat puffs up like a balloon and when he does this his throat is blue. He is also the smallest of the 2. Humphrey doesnít croak at all and is the biggest of the 2.

10/02/05  01:43pm

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 497757

Frog pee

You are 11 right? No offense íCheeksí but Iíve owned Whiteís since before you were born!

Frogs do not ílikeí to be held. Whiteís & some others will however TOLERATE being held. Iím not saying donít do it, Iím saying if you have to, donít do it for long & ALWAYS keep your hands moist!!!

As for breeding, hereís a good site Click Here!
Hope that helps you,
Gem

10/02/05  01:53pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 497779

Frog pee

Nope your wrong. Humphrey loves to be held. He loves to sit on my shoulder and have his head and nose rubbed.

10/02/05  02:44pm

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 497843

Frog pee

Iím not going to argue with you, thatís your opinion. Iíve given mine, just please make sure you have wet hands & a little less contact with fabrics- for Humphreys sake!

Gem

10/02/05  03:22pm

Zephyr
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 497890

Frog pee

My Cane toad does that too, its a defensive mechanism as its usually followed my arrgessive hisses, headbutts, biting and splashing LOTS of water.

10/02/05  08:54pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 497890

Frog pee

If Humphrey didnít love to be held how do you explane him putting his head down and leaning his head when I rub his mouth. He loves both.

10/03/05  11:54am

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

Message To: Cheeks   In reference to Message Id: 499118

Frog pee

Hi Cheeks,
It is a submissive reaction, my frogs do it if you rub their heads too! Iím sure any WTF owners will tell you that theirs do the same- even if their frogs arenít very tame!

Think of it from Humphreys point of view, if a giant hand came down & touched your head, instinct would tell you to put your head down & make yourself look as small as possible! - Just like she does

They do this for the same reasons that they ísprayí at things that scare them, or sit very still hiding amongst plants & trees- itís all instinct.
Without these things, in the wild they would not survive!!!

Iím not saying this to argue with you or upset you- just to help you learn more about why your frog does what she does!
Humphrey may be a very friendly frog- most Whiteís are! But I wouldnít go so far as to say she does all those things because she loves them, she does it because itís in her nature to!

Whiteís are great pets, & the more we understand about what they want- the happier they will be!
Gem!

10/03/05  01:14pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 499195

Frog pee

She does to like to be held. She loves her nose and her head rubbed.

10/03/05  03:37pm

Cheeks
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 499195

Frog pee

She does to like to be held. She loves her mouth and her head rubbed.

10/03/05  03:38pm

Back to Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area