Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

NetBSD   NetBSD   Gottee guy   NetBSD   Deadvenom-x   Reptilefreak23   M4tt   Amphibiandude   NetBSD  
 Member  Message

NetBSD
View Profile

How to tell gender

long story short, found a beaten up garter on my buddies property, been taking care of it for 3 days now and would liek to know if its male or female, i would one day like to breed this snake once its in better shape

10/07/08  03:58pm

NetBSD
View Profile

Message To: NetBSD   In reference to Message Id: 1876667

How to tell gender

figured id toss some pics of my garter

and his/hers tmp setup till i can get a decent setup again

and yeah he/she is sheading right now, in the one photo you can see where a bike or something ran it over, heres a link to the bigger image if someone wants to see it closer
Link

10/07/08  05:37pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: NetBSD   In reference to Message Id: 1876733

How to tell gender

it’s lucky to be alive.
you can’t really tell a snake’s gender very accurately, without probing it.
i would highly advise you to not try and probe it at home.
get a vet to do it, when it’s in better condition so it doesn’t get too stressed out.

10/07/08  06:25pm

NetBSD
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1876765

How to tell gender

yeah i aint probing a snake, never done it before and a quick google search says you can harm the snake if you dont know what you are doing. now to just find a vet in my area to have a look at it.

on the brighter side he is starting to get more active and trying to rub its skin off more, cant wait till hes done sheading so i can handle him.

also taking a stop by pet king tomorrow to grab some supplies (i havent had a reptile in about 5 years).

10/07/08  08:17pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: NetBSD   In reference to Message Id: 1876853

How to tell gender

one way you could try..of course not accurate alway is by the tail tapering. if its long and the vent "Takes a while" to become te size of the tail it CAN be a male

if it tapers immediantly..a female...maybe. i will doodle up a quick pic because that was horrible explaining i did:P

sucky drawing but i hope it helps a bit from what i said....blue is male pink is female

geez im tired xD

10/09/08  02:20am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 1877556

How to tell gender

deadvenom... that is not always true, as you said, so I would leave that method out of the equation.
Sometimes using that method you will never know what gender it is. You would have to have 2 snake the exact same size of different gender to really see that difference.

Now for my answer to the post... The only way to SAFELY know is to get a Professional to probe or pop it that knows what he is doing.
Doing this with out experiance will often result in the death of a snake.

10/09/08  10:18pm

M4tt
View Profile

Message To: NetBSD   In reference to Message Id: 1876667

How to tell gender

Net you really should put 2-3 hiding spots for it in your tank but make sure to have one on the warm end and another on the cool end. Any other hiding spots can go wherever after that. Good luck with him/her.

10/19/08  02:31pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: M4tt   In reference to Message Id: 1883527

How to tell gender

this dont have to do with gender but you should really get a nice hide in there for it

10/22/08  08:06pm

NetBSD
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1885747

How to tell gender

hides were added long time ago, i took that pic after cleaning and hides werent put back in yet

10/23/08  05:29am

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area