Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area  

Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum

Repfanatic   Deadvenom-x   Gottee guy   Repfanatic   TinyTheGecko  
 Member  Message

Repfanatic
View Profile

Large bump on albino checkered garter......

Hi. We got an albino checkered garter baby a month ago and I just noticed a rather large bump on her side/back tonight. I know it wasn’t there before because it’s VERY noticeable. It wasn’t there 2 nights ago either. There seems to be some discoloration to it, but I don’t think it’s a broken bone since it doesn’t protrude that drastically and nothing has happened to her. It feels rather hard, but I don’t want to push on it too much and possibly cause further damage. Here are some pictures. They’re kinda crappy since they were taken with a phone, so I circled where the bump is in the pic. In the first and second pictures you can see the blotch which I think is discoloration, but it could just be her normal skin color.....just a bit distended. In the third picture you can see the protrusion of it.
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Pseudolove21/Pets/Photo_110608_005.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Pseudolove21/Pets/Photo_110608_001.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Pseudolove21/Pets/Photo_110608_002.jpg[/IMG]
Has anybody seen, or experienced anything like this? Could it be a cyst? She still acts completely normal. She was drinking water right before we took the pics. She ate 2 rosy minnows Monday night, but also didn’t have this bump then. Any input is greatly appreciated.

11/06/08  01:28AM

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1893953

hmm... =| vet is best bet here..my boa has a teeny lump on her side towards the back but shes always had it and its not noticable...thinking maybe a deformed bone, dunno..but that doesnt look to good

11/06/08  10:07PM

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 1894417

it could be a tick or parasite?

11/07/08  07:18AM

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1894520

Quote:

it could be a tick or parasite?

No. It’s under the skin and quite large. We took her to the vet last night. Our herp vet wasn’t there, but her assistant was so we gave our vet a call at home. She said it’s probably an abscess, but hard to tell without looking at it. We’re putting warm cloths on it for as long as we can once a day. If it gets any bigger we’re taking her right back to the vet, but it doesn’t seem to be bothering her at all right now, so as long as it doesn’t change I feel okay about it.

11/07/08  10:35PM

TinyTheGecko
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1894917

my leopard gecko had a small bumb behind his eye and the vet said that it only takes a few days for the blood to become infected.(mine had a viral gang greene infection and i almost need to pay for surgury if i didnt have him injected every week for 2 months with antibiotics). But hes good now!

03/22/09  05:59PM

Back to Garter-Ribbon Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area