Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Akgeckogirl   Leah_Lizard   Jimrythm   BooByVu   3Gex<3   Akgeckogirl   BooByVu   Akgeckogirl   AditiLuna   Reflex   Akgeckogirl   Ammeratsu   Akgeckogirl   Akgeckogirl  
 Member  Message

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Baby impacted gecko

I have two babies right now, the smaller if which is impacted. She’s already passed one sand-poop, but there’s more in there. Luckily, she’s still active, has no paralysis and with a little coaxing is taking small amounts of baby food. I’ve got her pedialyte and she started getting her warm soaks today, and is actively taking water from me. Unfortunately, I can’t take her to the vet which is why I’m doing everything I can at home. Aside from the mineral oil, which I’m getting in the morning, is there anything I’m missing?

She was on sand at the pet store and has just been taken off sand at home, once I figured out what was wrong.

She’s also very small, right around 5 1/2 inches. Does this affect her chances?

10/16/08  04:58am

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Akgeckogirl   In reference to Message Id: 1881729

Baby impacted gecko

I’m not sure I’ve never dealt with an impacted gecko before. I know other people on this forum can be of more assistants, I just wanted to say good luck and I hope she pulls through.

10/16/08  08:09am

Jimrythm
View Profile

Baby impacted gecko

That is just about all you can do. As long as she is active and eating, that is a good sign. The warm baths and mineral oil should help, but if she starts to not eat and becomes not active, you need to get her to a vet, if you can. You may hunt down a breeder at a local expo that would know a bit more.

10/16/08  09:00am

BooByVu
View Profile

Baby impacted gecko

Im not speaking from personal experience since Ive never actually used sand but Ive read that if you put olive oil on their nose they will lick it off and that will help them pass the sand. Ofcourse I dont know if this works for sure but I hope everything works out for you. At 5 and a half inches im sure it will be ok.

10/16/08  09:34am

3Gex<3
View Profile

Baby impacted gecko

I don’t know if this will help you. It may just be the same thing everyone else is telling you.
but I’m doing some research online, because I haven’t ever had an impacted leo.
For impacted or sick Leopard geckos, you can use a mixture of chicken or veal baby food, calcium powder, Pedialyte and water fed from a syringe. It is not recommended to try to force feed a Leopard gecko unless shown how by a veterinarian, as Leopard geckos can choke or aspirate (food goes into the lungs) and die. A drop or 2 of mineral oil/olive oil in the mixture is good for impacted Leopard geckos to help pass the impaction. Medications may be appropriate for impaction, and are necessary for parasites. Another good supplement for sick or impacted Leopard geckos is ReptiAid or Jumpstart, which can be found at most pet stores or online. It is recommended to keep some around just in case. You can also get Critical Care mix from your veterinarian to help with appetite stimulation and adding weight.
Good luck!

10/16/08  11:26am

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Message To: 3Gex<3   In reference to Message Id: 1881860

Baby impacted gecko

Thanks to everyone! I’ve been really worried and this is giving me a lot of encouragement. I do have one last question though - she’s got a stubborn streak in her, and while she seems to be doing a lot better even from just one day of treatment, the only way she’ll take food from me is if I rub along her lips just enough to annoy her into biting me, so that I can get some of the baby food on her tongue. She doesn’t spit it out when I do that, so it seems to be working, but is there a better way?

10/16/08  03:34pm

BooByVu
View Profile

Message To: Akgeckogirl   In reference to Message Id: 1881977

Baby impacted gecko

So she wont take any insects? Have you tried leaving small mealworms in her cage overnight? I had to hand feed small crickets to my mack super when I first got her. I had to wiggle it alot in front of her to make her eat it but it worked so....I guess just try out some things and see what works for ya. Maybe use waxworms? No gecko can resist those....

10/16/08  03:39pm

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Message To: BooByVu   In reference to Message Id: 1881985

Baby impacted gecko

Yeah, she won’t take any live food. I haven’t tried waxworms, mainly because they’re too big for her to eat right now. I’ve thought about buying some and cutting them open to try and get her to eat the guts (I read that somewhere - maybe on here?) but as of yet all I’ve got is the baby food. There are always mealworms available, but honestly neither of my geckos have ever shown an interest in them, preferring crickets (which she won’t take right now).

10/16/08  05:18pm

AditiLuna
View Profile

Message To: Akgeckogirl   In reference to Message Id: 1882046

Baby impacted gecko

When my baby was impacted, she pooed a couple little sand poos, and then after about 2 weeks of mineral oil, chicken baby food three times a day, warm baths, and tummy massages, she pooed a HUGE monster poop bigger than her head, and that night she ate a meal worm :)

Just keep it up and it will all pay off. Aditi is big and fat and happy now and probably doesn’t even remember those days or that giant poop. Good luck :)

10/17/08  02:33am

Reflex
View Profile

Baby impacted gecko

Don’t use mineral oil, use olive oil. Mineral oil is much too hard on the body.

10/17/08  02:35am

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 1882347

Baby impacted gecko

Yeah, I’m happy to report that after two days she’s already acting like she’s starting to feel better. She’s been doing well with her pedialyte, and I got her to take more baby food today. I also picked up pure vegetable oil instead of mineral oil and now I’m glad I did.

Any extra advice or encouragement is welcome! And thanks to everyone who’s offered tips so far!

10/17/08  03:50am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Akgeckogirl   In reference to Message Id: 1882354

Baby impacted gecko

That’s awesome! You’re doing great with her. I didn’t read everything, so if someone already said this, my bad. Maybe you should cover three sides of her cage with black construction paper? It’ll massivley reduce stress.

10/17/08  10:19am

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1882407

Baby impacted gecko

Well, I have a couple updates on her condition that’re really encouraging/confusing me.

This morning she started taking it upon herself to hang out in her water dish, which I’d already doctored with pedialyte. This is on top of her thrice-daily soakings in the warmed solution. I was happy because I thought she looked like she might be feeling better, but is it harmful for her skin to be in it so much?

Then, a few minutes ago I looked over to see she’d finally been able to poo - in the waterdish of course. The weird thing is that there’s no sand whatsoever in the stool. I can’t really tell because like I said, in the waterdish, but it didn’t seem to have the consistency of normal leo poo, it was too runny. Her tummy’s not as tight as it was before, but without any sand in it I’m thoroughly bumfuzzled. What does this mean?

10/20/08  04:13am

Akgeckogirl
View Profile

Message To: Akgeckogirl   In reference to Message Id: 1884044

Baby impacted gecko

Oh and I forgot to mention, I picked up Zilla Jump-Start (caloric supplement and appetite stimulant) this evening. This was about three hours before finding the weird poo.

10/20/08  04:25am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area