Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Cjohnson   BoaBabe448   Cjohnson   Cbatusf   BoaBabe448   Cbatusf   Cjohnson   Lizzysmom   Jillybean   Cbatusf   BoaBabe448   Kaji  
 Member  Message

Cjohnson
View Profile

Geckos in pairs?

Do geckos do better alone or with a friend?

12/06/04  9:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Cjohnson   In reference to Message Id: 195000

Geckos in pairs?

They don’t prefer either. THey do fine alone, and do fine together. Here is the scale:

Male and Female: No, female gets to stressed from constant breeding.

Multiple females and 1 male: Yes

Multiple Females: Yes

Solitary: Yes

Male and Male: NO!

12/06/04  9:28pm
Sorry, No Replies

Cjohnson
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 195001

Geckos in pairs?

Thanks! Do they just breed spontaneously? I don’t want any babies.

12/06/04  10:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Cbatusf
View Profile

Message To: Cjohnson   In reference to Message Id: 195000

Geckos in pairs?

They do better when housed alone. I know people disagree with me... that’s why I stopped posting my opinion, but I just had to let my opinion be known once again. Here’s why I think they should be housed alone.
Read this!
I have two females and one male, and they are all housed seperately for the reasons listed on this article.
~Courtney

12/07/04  8:30am
Sorry, No Replies

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 195292

Geckos in pairs?

I said "Solitary(meaning by themselves): yes" .

And yes, if its breeding season the males will just constamtly preed with the females, and cause her stress.

12/07/04  8:36am
Sorry, No Replies

Cbatusf
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 195294

Geckos in pairs?

Boa, I wasn’t saying that what you posted was wrong. Don’t get defensive. lol! I’m just stating that everyone is quick to assume that its always ok to house females together, and in most cases its not. People tend to think that leos need a buddy because in petstores you usually see 15 shoved in a ten gallon, and then they assume that its natural for leos to live in groups.
It is my personal belief that leos are happier and healthier when housed alone.
I understand the article begins by saying its not ok then changes to say, "BUT... ". This is because people are so set on keeping them housed together they are going to do so whether you tell them to or not. So, the author states what the signs of aggression are hoping people will notice that they’re happier alone.
Once again, this is MY personal belief. I don’t want to get attacked for what I believe.
~Courtney

12/07/04  8:51am
Sorry, No Replies

Cjohnson
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 195292

Geckos in pairs?

Thanks for your info.

12/09/04  10:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Lizzysmom
View Profile

Message To: Cjohnson   In reference to Message Id: 196849

Geckos in pairs?

I have to agree with Courtney. I have 5 geckos, all housed seperately in 20 gallon tanks.

~Shannon~

12/10/04  2:25am
Sorry, No Replies

Jillybean
View Profile

Message To: Lizzysmom   In reference to Message Id: 196968

Geckos in pairs?

Though I’m not trying to be rude, there is one major thing wrong about the article from Courtney.

It’s a little hard to read, but the real problem is you can say all that you want "my geckos are happier housed alone/together" and we’ll never know. You don’t know because...you are NOT YOUR LIZARD.

Obviously, no one liked to be bullied, and a bullied gecko is an unhappy gecko. However, if your lizards seem to get along fine, and someone wants to tell you "you shouldn’t keep them together, they don’t like" vice/versa, etc, etc, blah blah blah.....

HOW DO YOU KNOW? That’s all I’m saying. It’s the same way saying "my dog likes this toy better than this toy", or anything that involves an animal favoring an item/animal over the other. You don’t know, and you won’t know until your a gecko. And even if you become a gecko...it’ll be your own personal secret.

LOL!!

: )

Jillybean

12/10/04  11:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Cbatusf
View Profile

Message To: Jillybean   In reference to Message Id: 197406

Geckos in pairs?

Jilly, the truth is... even if people’s leos’ are getting bullied, people are so blinded by the fact that they sleep together that they’re going to keep them together because "its so cute and they seem to really like each other". They think since their leos sleep together, they must like eachother! How about the fact that there are usually only three hides in an average 20L that houses two leos? They sleep together in the hide because its the only one on the warm or cool side, it provides the most security, etc. It’s not like the geckos have a large selection. If the leos aren’t biting off each other’s tails they MUST like each other, right? Wrong! From what I understand from an article that I read awhile back, leos in the wild usually come together to mate then they’re solitary once again. I will admit that there is an exception that females have come together, but it is rare. Scientists are dumbfounded by it, though.
Once again, much like the sand debate, I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’d rather my leos be fat, healthy, and less stressed by living alone than putting my two females together permanently.
~Courtney

12/11/04  9:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 197770

Geckos in pairs?

This is not at all like the sand issue. The sand issue shouldn’t be argued with, there is no exceptions when it comes to using sand. I will ALWAYS hurt your gecko.

Leopard Geckos can live together. I does not ALWAYS hurt your gecko, it can be done and your geckos can be as happy as ever. However, sand is almost the exact opposite.

If your geckos aren’t fighting, I dont see a problem housing them together.

12/11/04  9:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Kaji
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 197770

Geckos in pairs?

Jilly: Actually there is an article in the Journal of Herpetology (I think that’s the name, I’ll look it up after finals) which talked about housing leopard geckos together. From what I read, it was their conclusion that the geckos did better housed alone. Their size and health is an indicator of whether they are happy or not, so I disagree that we can’t tell. I will read the whole article and let you know.

Boababe: Obviously there is a risk in housing geckos together or we wouldn’t see geckos with cuts or chunks taken out of their tails by other cage mates. Can cage mates hurt each other, yes, do they always, NO! Occasionally a gecko may become sand impacted. Can sand cause health problems, yes, does it always, NO! I think the issues are the same.... reducing the RISKS of harm to your geckos to one you, as the owner, can live with... you have decided that the risk of harm that housing your geckos together is one that you will take. That’s your choice. No one is going to tell you that you are going to kill your gecko. The same RESPECT should be given to other geckos owners. If they know the risks of sand, then they have decided that the risk is one that they, as the owner, can live with. That is their prerogative. It’s all about respecting each other.

12/12/04  1:02am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area