Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Racerxspeeder   Cold Blooded Kisser   Racerxspeeder   Cold Blooded Kisser   Racerxspeeder   Cold Blooded Kisser   Boo~   Shawn119   Cold Blooded Kisser   MissSkyTheGecko   Racerxspeeder   Racerxspeeder   Shari5002000  
 Member  Message

Racerxspeeder
View Profile

Growth chart

Does anyone have a growth chart on leopard geckos?

My Juvi has only grown like an 1/8th of an inch since I got him. (A month ago) He’s right at 6 inches long. He’s gained some weight, but his tail hasn’t really gotten any thicker, just his mid section. Anything I can do to fatten him up other than giving him junk food? He’s got the right vitamins and calcium, and heat.

*Yes I know coldbloodedkisser. Worry wart mommy. lol*

02/20/09  11:47pm

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Racerxspeeder   In reference to Message Id: 1956547

Growth chart

Hey, I was giggling before you even mentioned my name. Silly.

It sounds like your leo is doing a good job growing. Give him some time. He might even still be adjusting to his new home. That’s just my thoughts........

Can you show us a picture?

Holly

02/21/09  08:02am

Racerxspeeder
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 1956629

Growth chart

I guess the only reason I’m worrying over it is because his tail is staying the same. It’s not really getting any fatter, and I know that’s where they keep their fat stored at and it shows they are healthy.

Here he is about a week ago.

Here he is last night.

And here he is when we first got him.

02/21/09  03:23pm

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Racerxspeeder   In reference to Message Id: 1956792

Growth chart

Hi!

Couple questions: Do you know how old he is exactly? Do you know how much he weighs? How long is he?

From the pictures he looks okay just young. The worries come when they start getting thinner. He doesn’t look thinner at all to me.

Holly

02/21/09  05:27pm

Racerxspeeder
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 1956847

Growth chart

I don’t know how old he is exactly, I was told he was about 2 months old when I got him, so if I had to make a guess, I’d say around 2 to 3 months old. How old does he look?

I don’t know how much he weighs, I haven’t gotten a scale yet. He is 6 inches long. He has grown approx 1/8th of an inch since I got him.

Lol, he definitely hasn’t gotten thinner. I was worried about him when I first got him because of how slender he was, but he eats like a hog now and has a plump little tummy on him. My boyfriend has poked fun at me saying the our new "baby" is going to eat us out of house and home. He’s eaten 20 mealworms in one sitting! lol

02/21/09  09:25pm

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Racerxspeeder   In reference to Message Id: 1956941

Growth chart

You are so funny.....that gorgeous leo is doing great then.

He looks about 2-3 months old to me but I’m no expert. 6 inches at 3 months is amazing considering they grow to be 8-10 inches as adults. He’ll start putting on some weight.........just give him time.

Where did you get him? Do you know his exact morph?

Holly

02/22/09  07:42am

Boo~
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 1957101

Growth chart

Why would morph matter?

My gecko has the same issue. He has a nice round tummy and a not fat tail.
You could feed him some butterworms(not waxxies, they’re addicting) I’ve heard you can also use a F/T pinkie. I know hte issue with te pinkies, oly to gravid females, but it could work I suppose.

02/22/09  11:05am

Shawn119
View Profile

Message To: Boo~   In reference to Message Id: 1957162

Growth chart

To fatten him up just feed him more. Feed him 4-6 crickets every night. Usually at this will fatten him up. It takes leopard geckos 10-24 months to reach adult size.

02/22/09  11:22am

Cold Blooded Kisser
View Profile

Message To: Shawn119   In reference to Message Id: 1957172

Growth chart

Quote:

Why would morph matter?

Well because some morphs do grow at different rates and gain in different rates. I also was curious because if she has a Giant leo than that could explain why he is long and not getting chubby yet.

FYI: you should feed your leo as much as he could eat in a 15 minute time frame. Please don’t limit it to 4-6 crickets if your little guy wants more.

Racerxspeeder, I think you should continue doing what you are doing. Your leo will be big and chubby in no time.

Holly

02/22/09  03:50pm

MissSkyTheGecko
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 1957299

Growth chart

Young leos grow out long before they get plump. They’ll eat and eat and eat and their tails will stay ’thin’ looking for awhile until they’re almost full grown, then they will start growing outward. It’ll be about a year before your gecko will start to look fat =P
But, of course, they are all different and some are chubby monsters early, while others take longer. It sounds like he’s doing great. Just keep up feeding and don’t worry about making him fat. Younger ones that are still growing long don’t Need to be beefy yet. Patience is a virtue...lol.
Good luck with your gecko, he’s looks and is doing great (^_^) You are doing fiiiine.

02/22/09  05:51pm

Racerxspeeder
View Profile

Message To: Cold Blooded Kisser   In reference to Message Id: 1957101

Growth chart

No expert. Bah humbug. Your to Leopard Geckos, like Nancy is to Bearded Dragons. LOL

I rescued him from a petsmart, they had crickets the size of his head in the tank, he was really skinny, and they didn’t have no calcium, warm hide, or UTH. Everyone was wanting the albino leopard geckos and no one wanted him. :( So I adopted him and he has now become our little boy. lol.

I don’t know his morph, I have looked at morphs, and he looks very similar to a Bell Albino (Which he was in the same tank as tremper albinos) or maybe a high yellow? I don’t know, do you have any idea? It wasn’t marked as a giant though.

I’m really super glad to hear I’m doing things right, because I have heard way too many horror stories about people and pet shops mistreating their animals. Sort of like poor Reflex’s story. :(

02/22/09  07:58pm

Racerxspeeder
View Profile

Message To: Boo~   In reference to Message Id: 1957162

Growth chart

How healthy are butterworms for Leopard Geckos? I haven’t really done a lot of research on them.

I know I couldn’t feed him pinkies, it’s the whole reason I can’t have a snake. I wouldn’t be able to put a little small furry creature in there to be eaten. I guess I can detach myself from mealworms and crickets since I never considered them "pets". I’ve rescued mice before from sticky traps and kept them so we have a strong bond. lol

02/22/09  08:07pm

Shari5002000
View Profile

Message To: Racerxspeeder   In reference to Message Id: 1957445

Growth chart

Dont know about butterworms, but pinkies aren’t that bad. I deal with the frozen ones. You warm them up in warm water. And it’s not like feeding cute little fuzzy’s either.

02/23/09  12:49am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area