Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Inspector071   Reflex   Inspector071   Wildsky   Inspector071   Inspector071   Inspector071   Inspector071   Froogies   Inspector071   KrazyKelli   Inspector071   KrazyKelli  
 Member  Message

Inspector071
View Profile

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Hi, I just joined tonight to find some more information about gecko impaction. I believe that Westie, my seven year old leopard gecko, is impacted. I had kept him on "ESU Desert Blend Lizard Litter" which is a crushed walnut based substrate. It was advertised as being able to pass safely through reptiles’ digestive systems, but I think this stuff caused an impaction. He has lost a lot of weight in approximately 1 and a half weeks; his tail is as thin as it can be, and I can see his spine noticeably. I can also feel a large lump near on his underside in his intestinal area that I think is the impaction. I have since taken him off the substrate and put him on newspaper. He had been throwing up his food, but I gave him a mealworm last night and he kept it. Here’s how I have treated the impaction so far since the last 3 days (still to no avail, though): I have soaked him in warm water twice a day for about 10-15 minutes and massaged his underside. I have also given him a few drops of vegetable oil. I plan on calling my vet tomorrow or monday and see if they can help me out, but until then, is there anything else I can do to try and pass the impaction? Should I keep trying to feed him, and would mineral oil be more effective than vegetable oil?

09/27/09  12:14am

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2077050

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Sorry to hear about your gecko.

You are doing pretty good so far. Use olive oil, not veggie oil and DEFINITELY not mineral oil. There are a few reasons why mineral oil is not to be used, but essentially it is a laxative, not a lubricant. For geckos, that’s a bad thing.

Here is something I wrote on gecko impactions. I hope it can help you. You can check out the rest of the site if you’d like, but it isn’t done....
Link

09/27/09  07:08am

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2077093

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Thanks for the reply! That page is full of great info. I will try the olive oil and see if that works. After how long with home treatment and no defecating should I call the vet?

09/27/09  03:00pm

Wildsky
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2077226

Impacted Leopard Gecko

If your little guy has already lost so much weight his spine is showing then you need to get him to a vet straight away. He is weak now and the longer you leave it the weaker he will get and even if home treatment shifts the blockage he may be to weak to survive, the vet can opperate on him to remove the blockage so your little one can recover.
Good luck to you both.

09/27/09  04:34pm

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Wildsky   In reference to Message Id: 2077281

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Thanks for the help, I am going to try and schedule an appointment tomorrow.

09/27/09  05:54pm

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2077312

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Well, I’ve been doing the soaks and olive oil for several days, but he is just getting more lethargic. I tried to give him a cricket and a mealworm, but he refused both. I talked to the vet today, but they just said to do the same stuff I’ve been doing. Should I consider having him put down before it gets worse or is there anything else I can try?

09/29/09  08:09pm

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2078427

Impacted Leopard Gecko

I still need some help with Westie. His condition has not improved, and every day he seems to get more lethargic.

10/01/09  12:24am

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2079003

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Westie’s lump has grown into a bulge. I don’t understand why it has gotten larger, because he hasn’t eaten anything. He still seems very lethargic, and if he continues like this, should I have him put down?

10/01/09  07:19pm

Froogies
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2079240

Impacted Leopard Gecko

well for one thing you should get him off the walnut stuff and on to paper towels, repticarpet or tile. all of which are relitivly cheap depending on the size of you tank. if it is getting bigger it might have gotten infected. the vet should operate soon or he will die. also it may be parisites, i you post pix so we can tell for sure. how old is he? is it on the side of him or near he stomach? can leo get cancer cause thats what is sounds like... get a good reptile vet on the phone near you and ask. ;)

10/01/09  07:52pm

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: Froogies   In reference to Message Id: 2079252

Impacted Leopard Gecko

He’s already been taken off the walnut and put onto repticarpet. He is around 7 or 8. Unfortunately, none of the vets near me treat herps. The bulge is near his left, rear leg. I don’t believe its cancer. Its grown too large and too fast to be cancerous. I am worried that even after an operation he will not make it.

10/01/09  08:55pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2079275

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Lizards will sometimes develop abscesses or growths for sometimes no known reason. The bump will grow abnormally on the skin of the lizard, then eventually break open - which is when the lizard needs an immediate vet visit for lancing, cleaning, and antibiotics. The vet can’t do anything until it opens, and you can’t do anything to clean it out, yourself, as lizard infection tends to solidify.

If the bump (assuming that this is an abscess) is on the belly or near important organs, the lizard may die from it regardless of what you do.

I thought this was impaction, though. And it’s been said, but mineral oil - while a laxative - is an ultimate cure if olive oil and warm soaks don’t work, and if your leo is going to die from it. It’s a win or lose situation. One drop of mineral oil is all you need to push it out. However, if the mass is too large, you can cause septic bowel (which is what crushed walnut shells will cause regardless. That stuff is sharp adn unrelenting in the leo’s system), which will also kill the lizard. It’s up to you.

There are tons of herp vets in Alabama. If lizards are indigenous to your state, there is going to be a vet that will treat them. Look in the yellowpages under V for vet and call up every number, asking if they do reptiles. Here is a list of herp vets in Alabama that I easily picked up off of google: Link

Lastly, putting a lizard under and cutting it open to remove something like a blockage to the intestines will 90% of the time kill a lizard. Cold blooded creatures do not react well whatsoever to anesthetics, and recover from it so slow that they most of the time don’t awaken at all. However if this is a bump that the vet can treat with a syringe or knife - without putting the lizard under - chances are extremely good that the leo will recover.

10/02/09  01:10pm

Inspector071
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2079434

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Thanks for the help. I think this an impaction still, as this is not a growth on his skin. I guess I will try the mineral oil, but it is indeed a large mass. I’ll call around and see which vets can help me. Thank you very much.

10/02/09  04:12pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Inspector071   In reference to Message Id: 2079497

Impacted Leopard Gecko

Please keep me updated. =] and I’m glad I could help.

10/02/09  06:02pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area