Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   Seahorse   FritoLeo   Seahorse   C3_4_quad   FritoLeo   FritoLeo   C3_4_quad   Atwo   FritoLeo   Reflex   Monster545   C3_4_quad   Seahorse   FritoLeo   FritoLeo   Reflex   FritoLeo   Reflex  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

FritoLeo
View Profile

Swollen head?

Hey guys,

One my leos heads is swollen on the right side?
She just shed so I’m thinking maybe she hurt herself but I’m not really sure what to think about it and I can’t find anything online that says what it could be.

If you guys could help me out that would be great!

04/30/10  12:05am

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144365

Swollen head?

It could be a few different reasons from the stuff I have read as they say pictures are always best is there any way possible you could take a picture and post it that way everyone can see.

Where exactly is it a swollen on the right side? If it’s close to its mouth maybe it could be from inside its mouth. Maybe it was bitten by a cricket near its eye or it’s ear. I don’t know I’m just guessing?

I’m sorry to hear that but please give us a message with more specific details and possibly a picture or two close up if possible that way everyone can see it and share their input

04/30/10  12:41am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144371

Swollen head?

Okay I got two good pics of the swelling.
There is a red spot on the top of her head that looks almost like she hit it on something?
I’ve also seen her rub her head pretty violently against things when she sheds so it may be that as well.
This gecko is around 12 years old and I inherited her from a friend of mine who didn’t take very good care of her. I recently had my first leo Frito pass away from intestinal parasites and my leo Eva lay her first clutch! And now this and I have finals and a wedding coming up in the next two weeks haha.
Also, I may take some pictures of the eggs Eva laid to see if you guys think they are doing okay. But here are the images of Calisto’s head.

04/30/10  01:17am

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144377

Swollen head?

I found this online and it’s very interesting scroll down and read the entire thread.

Link

04/30/10  01:24am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144379

Swollen head?

Oh wow thank you so much!

That is really interesting.
It looks very similar to what the other gecko was experiencing as well.

I with there was a way to have a vet look at them without costing so much money : /

04/30/10  01:31am

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144381

Swollen head?

If you rub her under her chin sometimes she will open up her mouth so you can see if it’s mouth rot.
It says on the thread that they cut back on the calcium intake so maybe you can also use a uva light during the day that may help her metabolize it just an idea of course.
There’s all kinds of information I just searched leopard gecko with swollen head. It could be a number of things.

How often do you give her her dusted insects and such? And how long has it been swollen?

04/30/10  01:40am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144382

Swollen head?

Well I just noticed the swelling today and the last time I checked on her was Monday evening before I drove back down to my dorms.

The thing that scares me is that she hasn’t been ingesting much calcium at all and I moved her lips around as best I could to see her gums and they look nice and pink.
IT doesn’t look like MBD at all but its making me nervous all the same.
She isn’t lethargic or anything though shes exactly the same as always which is good.
I’m planning on cleaning their tanks tomorrow so I’m gonna let her get a little bit of sun and see if that helps at all, unless thats not a good idea.

I just dusted her crickets today because she usually will not eat if I dust them.

04/30/10  01:48am

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Swollen head?

This is the page that I was browsing with a bunch of different links there’s a few different cases but it’s mostly around the same stuff that was in the first link I sent to you.Link

04/30/10  01:52am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144384

Swollen head?

Thanks so much for all your help I really appreciate it!

04/30/10  02:00am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144385

Swollen head?

I’m scared that its an abcess but her mouth looks okay?

04/30/10  02:02am

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144385

Swollen head?

That’s good that her gums look nice and think so you can rule that out it’s definitely not rot and from what I have heard on line just from searching within the past 5 minutes it might be that even though you just your crickets they still carry nutrients as well so they might be a possibility of the calcium buildup. A lot of people noticed that sometimes there geckos will get a little chunky in the armpits area and it comes and goes. But just as you and I have both read from the links that I passed on I guess that happens as well on the sides of the head areas.

As far as the sunshine definitely not a bad idea just give her some work to hide and if you’re cleaning outside she can be in your company so you can keep an eye on her. Definitely make sure it’s covered because of birds. But if you’re close by I don’t think you have much to worry about just keep are close to you. A little bit of sunshine will definitely not to her any harm at all. I don’t have much experience I have only had my geckos for the past eight months. But I definitely do lots of research.

Knowledge is power.

You’re very welcome I really appreciate your posting as well because it gives me some knowledge as well and it also gives me something to look out for.

You can always call the vet and explain the situation and also explain what you learn from that link because that sounds and it looks very familiar. It could be calcium older geckos don’t need it as often as the young ones I just my crickets once a week and I alternate every week between two different supplements.

And congratulations 12 years that’s pretty amazing my geckos are only about two years old and I look for human I hope 10 years from now I can say their twelve

04/30/10  02:12am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144387

Swollen head?

You’re knowledge is definitely powerful! It is helping me alot!
I just lot my 9-10 year old leo Frito to intestinal parasites that just would not go away : [
I’ve had him since I was about 10 years old and he was my first pet so that was pretty heart breaking.
This leo I inherited from someone else who was at one time an extremely loving owner but he gradually began neglecting her and such so I adopted her from them.
She is so sweet and I would feel awful to lose another leo right after another.
I’ll definitely take her out with me and make sure shes safe!
She loves being outside anyways so that will cheer her up right away!

thanks so much for all of your help again.
I’m definitely going to call a herp vet out here instead of a normal vet, usually when I call them they get very greedy and will not give me any advice over the phone. Its terrible.

04/30/10  02:29am

Seahorse
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144389

Swollen head?

I would take him to the vet to make sure it’s not something attacking him internally.
The vet should be able to treat it accordingly and (hopefully) fix it. Hopefully it’s nothing awful like uveitis. I’m currently treating that in a gargoyle gecko and it’s definitely tough on him as well as myself.
Poor guy, that looks like it could be painful.
Best of luck to you and your leo.

04/30/10  11:40am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: Seahorse   In reference to Message Id: 2144436

Swollen head?

Thank you!
We are going to the vet at 2 today so hopefully everything will be okay.

I hope your little guy gets better as well!

04/30/10  01:10pm

Seahorse
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144459

Swollen head?

Sounds great! Keep us posted please! I hope they figure it out and fix the problem today.
And thank you. The past three weeks has been exhausting and heartbreaking!

04/30/10  01:29pm

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144459

Swollen head?

Definitely keep us posted and let us know what is said and happens

04/30/10  02:29pm

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144475

Swollen head?

Okay so the vet said that Calisto has a swollen brain : [

I was surprised but not at the same time.
I noticed when I initially got her from my family friend that she was kind of neurotic and did some awfully weird things.
When I told this to the vet she just kind of agreed that that was common for a gecko with a brain disorder.
We decided not to follow through with any type of x ray or anything because it would have been extremely expensive for that little teeny gecko.
We don’t know how long she has to live, but the vet said at most she’ll make it another year, that would put her at 13 years old which is a damn long time.
So right now we have steroids that will keep the swelling down for as long as it can.
Shes not lethargic or anything she still has her normal cooky personality, so I don’t believe she is in any pain other than just being an old lady.

04/30/10  10:14pm

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144541

Swollen head?

Oh yeah, the vet said it looks like a brain tumor more than anything.
She didn’t recommend that we do much because there isn’t much we can do other than keep her as comfortable as possible.

: [ I just lost a gecko two weeks ago to intestinal parasites that treatment wouldn’t heal and now this..
It makes me feel just awful.

04/30/10  10:15pm

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144542

Swollen head?

That is very sad but definitely look on the bright side almost 13 years is a very long time in the wild not many make it past five years of age. I’m sorry for your loss with your previous gecko.
As far as what the vet there’s absolutely nothing you can do.

Definitely look on the positive side she has had a very long and healthy life

04/30/10  11:03pm

Atwo
View Profile

Swollen head?

awwww I’m so sorry to hear about this. It’s so sad when there’s nothing else you can do but love them. As much as you want to help them, and make them 100% better. At least she has an awesome owner like you that obviously cares very much for her. 13 years is a very long time.
Best wishes!
:)

04/30/10  11:30pm

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: Atwo   In reference to Message Id: 2144560

Swollen head?

Yeah its definitely heartbreaking!

Thank you so much : ]
I’m going to try my best to make the end for her as comfortable as possible.

05/01/10  01:10am

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144377

Swollen head?

Poor thing. Did you take it to a reputable exotics vet?

Out of all of the cases online with swollen heads, I’ve never heard of the prognosis being directly involved with the brain. But, I’m by no means an expert on swollen gecko heads so I can’t really say anything.

Good luck with her, hopefully things will be ok for now.

05/01/10  02:56am

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144576

Swollen head?

Sorry for your loss, and I hope she goes peacefully, but think of it like this, better live twelve long happy years, then five fearfilled ones. Youve done all you can for her, and she appreciates that.

05/01/10  12:00pm

C3_4_quad
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2144576

Swollen head?

I know what they told you can be very heartbreaking but you should definitely always look out for a second opinion or sometimes even a third.

05/01/10  12:49pm

Seahorse
View Profile

Message To: C3_4_quad   In reference to Message Id: 2144645

Swollen head?

Wow.. so sorry to hear.
I agree with a second opinion. Or discussing less expensive tests to be done with your current vet. She can do some blood work to test the parathyroid gland. Some leos have had (somewhat) similar issues because of this.
Did she look at Callisto and come to the conclusion it’s a tumor or did she do any testing at all? I wouldn’t rule other issues out just yet. It could be something that could be fixed instead of her assuming it’s a death sentence.
I know you’re experienced with leos, but how is your set up? Is there anything that could producing toxins in or around her enclosure?
I think this could be any number of things such as a respiratory infection, a bacterial infection, an abscess, nutrient deficiency... you said she’s not doing well with supplements, correct? Retained shed in her eye causing it to swell?
I wouldn’t rule out other options just yet until some sort of tests have been done.
My thoughts are with you and Callisto.

05/01/10  01:23pm

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: Seahorse   In reference to Message Id: 2144653

Swollen head?

Thank you all for all of your wonderful advice!

The vet examined her and listened to her lungs, ruled out a respiratory infection. She also looked for mouth rot and an inner ear infection and found that her mouth and ears looked great. I asked about the shed being stuck in her eye and maybe causing an infection and she checked for that as well. I took Calisto in under the assumption that it was an abscess, that was actually what the visit was for and when she felt the lump she said it was too hard to be an abscess.

I do believe she is correct in assuming that is has something to do with the brain. I’ll give you guys a back story.
When I first recieved Calisto I took her in from a family friend who was a previous leo lover but he got caught up in some serious drug problems and couldn’t care for her anymore so I took her from them.
I noticed that her personality was a bit off, kind of like a neurotic person or a ditz or soemthing. But she looked so happy I didn’t think much of it. She is really clumsy at times, but know shes not blind because both of her eyes will follow my hands and face around if I’m looking into her cage or when I go to grab her.

I really never considered a leo having something wrong with the brain, but I told this to the vet and she also agreed that Calisto didn’t look like she was having vision issues either. Shes not lethargic, she is just lazy like your typical old lady.

I really wish this tumor or whatever didn’t show up when it did. I know everyone uses the excuse that they can’t afford the vet and what not but honestly, my sister is getting married and my parents are paying for the reception dinner, so theres a big fat chunk of money and I’m a full time student with no job so right now was like the worst possible time for this to happen.

I don’t know if any of you feel like you are responsible for when your geckos get sick, but I definitely feel responsible for their illnesses. I always feel like its something I did wrong even though I do the best I can. I hope you guys don’t think I’m nuts for posting this super long thing!

05/03/10  02:20am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2145026

Swollen head?

Oh and here is an online letter I found to a vet that describes the exact same thing that Calisto does other than the anorexia.

Quick history: My leopard gecko was recently euthanized due to long-standing
neurological disease. I had her for just over a year, and her original
symptoms started within two weeks after I got her from a pet store (June
2002)-head tilt, stargazing, inability to accurately strike prey,
progressing to anorexia and inability to move. She was treated with
Baytril, Ivermectin, a steroid, fluids, and recovered almost fully over a
period of weeks. Inability to strike prey persisted, and slight head tilt
and stargazing still occurred very occasionally, but appetite and activity
level were excellent and she became fat (having become very thin during
first illness) with hand-feeding of crickets. Anorexia returned
approximately late April 2003. I thought it might just be a seasonal
decrease in appetite since she did not lose weight, but within a month
severe neurological symptoms returned starting with stargazing, progressing
to incessant circling, falling over, tremors and tics, and apparent extreme
distress, finally ending with very little movement. Treatment was initiated
upon return of neurological symptoms, same regimen as in previous illness,
with the addition of vitamin B injections. There was no improvement, only a
steady decline and gecko was euthanized.

05/03/10  02:29am

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2145028

Swollen head?

The only thing is... nowhere in that similar story did it say anything about a puffed up head.

It doesn’t sound right to me that she ruled out an abscess because it felt hard. I have seen someone remove an abscess in a gecko before, it’s not soft tissue under there.

I think your vet should have given you a round of baytril just in case, since you don’t seem willing to pay the money for further treatment. Though if it were an abscess it should probably be lanced at this point, but antibiotics might help. And if it isn’t an abscess, or too progressed at this point for antibiotics to do anything... well, it was worth a shot?

05/03/10  02:42am

FritoLeo
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2145029

Swollen head?

Well if it was up to me and I had the money I would pay for more testing and whatever but its not. The vet asked me to take her in again for a follow up so I’m going to do that after all of this other crap is over. It’s not that I’m not WILLING to pay the money, its that my FAMILY doesn’t have the money because we have a lot of other things going on. She does not look in pain at all and she its just as lively as always so right now I’m not too worried but I’m keeping a close eye on her. If anything gets extremely worse than I’ll be bringing her back sooner. The vet prescribed a steroid to keep the swelling down and that is it.
I may take her to a different vet the next time to see what they have to say.
Its just not the best time for me. I don’t really think its right to judge people based upon their willingness to pay hundreds of dollars for something when they don’t have it. To be honest the vet didn’t offer any other treatment she reached her conclusion and that was it. I suggested what I could to her and she found a reason to rule everything out. I don’t need to have people make me sound like I treat my leo like crap because I wasn’t offered any other treatment than what I got.

05/03/10  02:55am

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: FritoLeo   In reference to Message Id: 2145030

Swollen head?

No, I understand your issue. I have been there more times than you think. You’re right, and I don’t know your situation any better than you know mine. I can only go off of what you say, and I must have missed the last couple paragraphs.

What I suggested was very cheap. Ask her to give you some baytril... I got some for my ball pythons for $12, and my rat for $20. She just saw her, so she should be able to just hand you a prescription. If she claims she needs another exam for it, call shenanigans and go to another vet.

05/03/10  03:10am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area