Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Leogeckokid   Birdfever69   Jonathanphan   Jonathanphan   KrazyKelli   T-mon   Leogeckokid   Leogeckokid   T-mon   Jonathanphan   T-mon   Jonathanphan   T-mon   Jonathanphan   T-mon   Jonathanphan   KrazyKelli   T-mon   KrazyKelli  
 Member  Message

Leogeckokid
View Profile

Squeaky Clean

Hey im back with another question: Whats the best way to clean a leopard gecko tank, warm water , a bleach solution(which i really don’t like so if there are any other ideas please do tell me), or the solutions sold in pet stores.

Also should i use bottled water for everything including cleaning your tank ( if that is what i need), humid hide, or occasionally misting. I know you need fresh water for their water bowl but what about everything else! Thanks a lot!!!!

01/25/11  05:16pm

Birdfever69
View Profile

Message To: Leogeckokid   In reference to Message Id: 2201009

Squeaky Clean

used vinegar and distilled water with a sponge. scrub the cage with vinegar and let it sit for about 20 mins then rinse out with distilled water to remove the smell. you can also use a mr clean magic eraser.

i have always used tap water (filtered at my house) for all my babies. i dont think it really matters since they lick everything you spray anyways. lol

01/25/11  07:57pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: Birdfever69   In reference to Message Id: 2201053

Squeaky Clean

I use regular water from the hose,they have minerals which make it better.Okay,first put your tank on its side and spray down your tank and scrub it with a sponge or a rag.I don’t use soap at all.Then let all the water out and flip it with the hole to the ground on cement and let it dry!

Now,for the humid hide,you should get any kind of mister and make sure nothing is in it,now put warm tap water.Tap water has minerals once again which is good!They’re immune to the bacteria in tap,just make sure there is no chlorine,some people use,but I don’t recommend it.

If you get any Repti-Carpet or any other name brand reptile carpet.Spray it down with a hose and get every part,then flip over and repeat.Pick it up and start flapping it in the air to get some water out until its not dripping wet.If you want after you can vacuum it to dry it which I do occasionally,or you can blow it with a blow drier or just sun dry!

Hope I helped,JP

01/25/11  08:58pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201062

Squeaky Clean

Edit for above post ^

You can use tap water for the leopard geckos to drink,bottle water isn’t good because it cost a bunch!

I use tap for the minerals and because I don’t like using my bottled water for this because that would cost HUNDREDS of dollars!As for misting,no need to mist!Just make sure you have a humid hide WELL misted.

Hope I helped,JP

01/25/11  09:01pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201063

Squeaky Clean

Wash the tank with a soft sponge, don’t scrub it with anything hard or edgy because it will scratch the tank glass and cause white marks. White spots can also happen depending on how nasty the tap water in your area is (You can usually just let it sit out or filter it to get rid of most of the ick). I mean, my tap water has high levels of chlorine and fluoride in it, amungst other metals and contaminants. And white spotting forms if you use bleach and don’t rinse it completely. ... I hate white spots. They never leave and get in the way of photos.

If I use bleach to completely disinfect a tank, I usually delude it a ton. 20 to 25 parts water.

To do a quick-clean of the tank walls, I use windex. It’s nature-safe! Let the tank air for 10 some minutes and you’re good to go.

01/25/11  10:06pm

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: Leogeckokid   In reference to Message Id: 2201009

Squeaky Clean

I’ve used bleach, sanitization wipes, and wipe out 1 by zoo med. And in all honesty, I like Wipe Out the best. I can smell the clean! It deodorizes, disinfects, and cleans up everything. It brings all the dirt out and when you wipe it the towel is all nasty looking. But I would use bleach and water, but then again, I use an UTH and can’t take it off or else I damage the wires. So $8 isn’t much for me. Although I bleach all the furnishings (things in the cage) along with the tiles I use.

01/26/11  05:25pm

Leogeckokid
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201214

Squeaky Clean

Thanks these were all really helpful

01/26/11  06:22pm

Leogeckokid
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201214

Squeaky Clean

Ok so ill use wipe out for the terrarium but what about the stuff inside like bowls and if i get rock decorations

01/27/11  09:11am

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: Leogeckokid   In reference to Message Id: 2201321

Squeaky Clean

For that stuff I bleach them in the bathtub or in tubs.

01/27/11  09:46am

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: Leogeckokid   In reference to Message Id: 2201321

Squeaky Clean

AHHHH just use regular water!Bleach and wipes or made to wipe out your money!

01/28/11  07:43pm

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201622

Squeaky Clean

Actually regular water cleans nothing. It’s like saying that you can just wash your hands by rinsing with water and that soap is just made to scam you out of money, which obviously isn’t true. Wipe Out by Zoo Med is just a disinfectant that has things for salmonella and I believe some reptile related diseases. Other than that, it’s the same as the others. It’s more convenient and safe to me which is why i spend the $8 on it rather than put bleach in a bottle or something.

01/28/11  08:14pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201627

Squeaky Clean

Actually,it does.If you clean it thoroughly with a pressure washer,like me.It gets rid of EVERYTHING.But if you do want to use a little bit of money but not too much.Just buy some regular ol’ soap!

01/28/11  09:36pm

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201655

Squeaky Clean

That’s only visual. A pressure washer doesn’t get rid of any bacteria at all. Water isn’t a cheap way out pressure or not. Bacteria will still stay, and washing like that is horrible sanitation. You only see the dirt go away, but it isn’t actually clean, bacteria IS microscopic. Money shouldn’t be such a huge issue for an animal, especially with cleaning and keeping them alive.

01/28/11  10:15pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201669

Squeaky Clean

Actually,yes yes it does.I did some microscopic slides today and didn’t notice any harmful bacteria...you do it how you want...and I’ll do it how I want ;)

01/29/11  12:56pm

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201724

Squeaky Clean

Hm that’s interesting. Well most people don’t have access to a pressure washer and use heat mats that they can’t take off, and live in winter weather like me, so that’s why I say the other methods. Plus you’d need some hot water. But as long as it works, then go ahead.

01/29/11  03:21pm

Jonathanphan
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201746

Squeaky Clean

I use a little bit of cold water.A bunch of hot water.You don’t exactly need a pressure washer.I use a hose with a screw on that you can set the setting to jet which is like a hard pressure water shooter.They have heat mats you can’t take off?

01/29/11  07:39pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Jonathanphan   In reference to Message Id: 2201797

Squeaky Clean

Haha, gotta admit that I also use the hose with the different settings method in the warmer months. Though I’ll make at least some sort of effort to use a sponge and diluted bleach in there as well. It’s so much easier to clean my golden gecko tank outside in the grass than inside in my tub.

Regular or antibacterial soaps can hurt a lizard, on the by. If left in the tank, it can wipe off natural good stuff that’s already present on the lizard’s skin and dehydrate them. Regular soap can also leave a residue on the tank walls (soap scum!) The only exceptions are the nature-friendly ones such as Windex and, to a desperate extent, Dial dish soap.

I use bleach to either clean out a used tank I buy from someone, or to stop a parasite infestation. Normal water wont easily remove some of those buggers, like coccidia.

Don’t soak-bleach all items in a lizard tank. Wood logs/branches and coconut items will hold the bleach and it’s a misery trying to get the bleach off wood once it’s deep in the pores of it. Then you either risk the wood molding from the excess water to get the bleach out or the bleach staying in there and hurting the lizard.

01/29/11  08:47pm

T-mon
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2201819

Squeaky Clean

Oh good points Kelli. You learn something new every day. So how should you go about cleaning things in the tank? Just regular water? Or just the log things?

01/29/11  09:54pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: T-mon   In reference to Message Id: 2201840

Squeaky Clean

It’s just the wood/absorbent things, like grapefruit vines and those half-log things. You can bleach the rest. Bleaching plastic and stuff is good... I just.. don’t clean the wood things =P Or I spot clean them if the lizard decides to crap on one. If the lizards have parasites or something, it doesn’t cost that much to get a new half-coconut or log.

01/29/11  10:01pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area