Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard Forum

NinjaTurtle   Sarah_loves_leos   NinjaTurtle   Sarah_loves_leos   NinjaTurtle   Annie 13   Sarah_loves_leos   JOANAVOKES   NinjaTurtle   Annie 13  
 Member  Message

NinjaTurtle
View Profile

Lost toes

My gecko lost a toe during it’s last shedding. I’m assuming it’s a she because the other is a he and they haven’t fought and she doesn’t have the bulges... anyways, she lost one of her back toes. I noticed it was dead today so I broke it off, then gave her a warm bath and put some antibacterial soap on it to keep it from getting infected. Did I do this right?

02/07/05  03:09pm
Sorry, No Replies

Sarah_loves_leos
View Profile

Message To: NinjaTurtle   In reference to Message Id: 242587

Lost toes

did u provide her/him with a humid hide???
*Sarah*

02/07/05  03:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

NinjaTurtle
View Profile

Message To: Sarah_loves_leos   In reference to Message Id: 242589

Lost toes

Yeah I put one in there but not until after she shed... I put the humid in about a week ago... her toe is bleeding now, is that normal? I am positive that it was dead- it was dark grey and when I touched it she didn’t notice or move.

02/07/05  03:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Sarah_loves_leos
View Profile

Message To: NinjaTurtle   In reference to Message Id: 242608

Lost toes

Thats not good it shouldnt be bleeding?? mayb it was still sort of functioning?? u shouldnt of pulled the toe off when they r dead they come off on their own!
*Sarah*
P.S you should of had a humid hide in there before it shed!

02/07/05  03:30pm
Sorry, No Replies

NinjaTurtle
View Profile

Message To: Sarah_loves_leos   In reference to Message Id: 242618

Lost toes

I used to spray it down. I think she’s ok, she’s not acting any differently. Still hiding and basking. I think she’s ok, but I thought if you didn’t break them off when they die they get infected?

02/07/05  03:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Annie 13
View Profile

Message To: NinjaTurtle   In reference to Message Id: 242626

Lost toes

I have a hatchling that had the smae problem... I had a humid hide etc. But there must have been a very small piece of skin left around two of his toes. It was a hatchling so it was very skiddish and spent most of the time hiding and unfortunately I did not notice the tiny bands of skin until it was getting ready to shed again. One toe fell off during the next shed, but the other has started gaining color back. There may have been enough circulation on yours to save the toe. Please do not break it off if it happens again and make sure that there is always a humid hide in there. Some geckos have a harder time molting than others do, so you are going to have to watch yours closely... It may have difficulties again.

02/07/05  04:06pm
Sorry, No Replies

Sarah_loves_leos
View Profile

Lost toes

they can but i know that they should just come off on their own, was the shed off the toes when u pulled it off & isit still bleeding?
*Sarah*

02/07/05  04:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

JOANAVOKES
View Profile

Lost toes

Ninja Turtle,
You should not have broken the toe off! If it bleeding that means there was still blood circulating to the toe and a good soak in warm water might have saved the pain and the toe. Now you chance the problem of infection. You need to take a 1 part peroxide solution mixed with 1/2 part water and clean the toe, next take some neosporin and apply it several times a day to the affected area.. Also if your Leopard gecko is basking there is something wrong. Leopards are nocturnal creatures and do not bask nor need a basking light. They prefer to come out at night to eat, like to hide in bright light or daylight. Joan A.

02/07/05  11:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

NinjaTurtle
View Profile

Message To: JOANAVOKES   In reference to Message Id: 243082

Lost toes

Ok, let me explain what I mean by basking. One of their hides is set upon a rock that is directly underneath the heat light. They go in there during the day to hide and stay warm.
No, it is not bleeding anymore. I noticed that the toe was pure dead- I visited the vet not four hours ago to show him what I thought and he said that the toe was indeed dead, and the bleeding was a result of strained circulation to the area which, if I hadn’t broken it off, would most likely have caused a blood clot in the toe. He said to give her a bath every day with antibiotic soap in the water to kill off germs and to monitor the gecko carefully. Other than that, she would be fine and she is- she’s eating, climbing, sleeping, all her favorite things. Meanwhile, my male is shedding, and the humid hide does not work- they don’t go in it. So what I did was give him a warm bath to loosen the skin, and when he is done shedding on his body, I will give him another bath to loosen the skin on the toes, permitting there is any.
Anyways, there’s the developments.

02/08/05  12:10am
Sorry, No Replies

Annie 13
View Profile

Message To: NinjaTurtle   In reference to Message Id: 243104

Lost toes

I would keep the humid hide in there anyways. It may take a bit for them to figure out what it is, but eventually they will use it.

02/08/05  10:53am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area