Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Ssativa   Dragón_Dorado   Ienjoyhavingahouse   Ssativa   Jagermeisters_owner   Reako45   King_Medi   King_Medi  
 Member  Message

Ssativa
View Profile

What do your house gecko’s look like?

Arguments have been arising lately in the lizard forum. It appears that what people call a "house gecko" in one place can be completely different from what people from another area consider the "house gecko," depending on the geographical location of each area. Now I am curious. I think there must be many different types of geckos that coexist with humans outside of captivity. Whatever type of gecko you are accustomed to seeing in or around your house is likely to be what you refer to as a house gecko.

Here is a baby house gecko, from south Florida, that I found raiding my mealworm supply that I had accidentally left open. IT WAS AN EAT AND RUN!!!

If you live in an area that is also inhabited with geckos post a pic. of a house gecko from where you live.

09/17/04  1:59am
Sorry, No Replies

Dragón_Dorado
View Profile

Message To: Ssativa   In reference to Message Id: 143567

I don’t...
But here is a house gecko from a site I go to regularly...
And you all should to!
House gecko

-collin

09/17/04  7:16am
Sorry, No Replies

Ienjoyhavingahouse
View Profile

Message To: Dragón_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 143614

the house geckos I own have a slighty frilly tail, and they look like this...

(not mine)

09/17/04  11:58am
Sorry, No Replies

Ssativa
View Profile

Message To: Ienjoyhavingahouse   In reference to Message Id: 143717

What do your house geckoÂ’s look like?

Wow. I’ve never seen a gecko with a tail like that before. Definatly different then my house geckos. Does anyone else have house geckos???

09/17/04  5:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jagermeisters_owner
View Profile

Message To: Ssativa   In reference to Message Id: 143901

my house gecko looks like the one in the last pic (the fat tailed one). he just had a vet visit though and got about 1/2 in. of his tail snipped off, so his tail is a little shorter. One of his back legs appear to be fractured. the vet said it could have been the monster crickets we found hiding under his dish in the tank. Creepy little crickets. so now he’s eating baby food

09/17/04  5:39pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reako45
View Profile

Message To: Jagermeisters_owner   In reference to Message Id: 143919

Common names for herps like "House gecko" can be somewhat misleading sometimes. The gecko in the pic by Ssativa is a tropical house gecko, a Hemidactylus mabouia according to the book called "Geckos" by RD & Patricia Bartlett. The gecko in the pic by Ienjoyhavingahouse is an Asian flat-tailed gecko, Cosymbotus platyurus. Both species have made their way to Florida and are well established there, according to this book (which is a great source of info for anyone who owns a gecko--- a MUST HAVE!).

reako45

09/18/04  7:22am
Sorry, No Replies

King_Medi
View Profile

Message To: Reako45   In reference to Message Id: 144444

HERE IS KING MED my Texas Mediterranean Gecko. I will Trade him with anyone for a Floridian chinese flat tail house with some help with teaching me how to ship him out. Im sure we can figure somthing. Thanks. my email is evaristo_z@yahoo.com

10/02/04  8:28am
Sorry, No Replies

King_Medi
View Profile

Message To: King_Medi   In reference to Message Id: 153178

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/lizards/hemidactylus.turcicus.html

KING MED IS A HOUSE GECKO REARED INDOORS TO THIS LARGER SIZE

10/02/04  8:47am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area