Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Glug33   Raven Mune   Raven Mune   Glug33   Raven Mune   Glug33   Raven Mune  
 Member  Message

Glug33
View Profile

House Gecko Egg?

This might be a dumb question,but I found a small white egg(like a birds egg) stuck to the glass. I have two Green tree Frogs with my house gecko, I’m pretty sure tree frogs don’t lay eggs out of water. Could this egg have been fertilized at the store? (I’ve only had the HG for about 4 weeks.)

02/15/08  08:46am

Raven Mune
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 1624613

House Gecko Egg?

House geckos have a tendancy to lay eggs in pairs... they do look like little chicken eggs.. If it is possible, remove the egg without damaging it and put it in another tank soon.. The adult may attempt to eat the hatchling after it is born.. It will need its own tank and setup... Do you have pics?

02/15/08  11:27am

Raven Mune
View Profile

Message To: Raven Mune   In reference to Message Id: 1624702

House Gecko Egg?

Oh, and yes it is possible for them to store sperm until it’s safe to lay eggs.. I heard from someone else that they can store up to enough sperm for 10 clutches of eggs.. After I got my second female house gecko she layed a total of 3 clutches of eggs... 2 the first time, 2 the second, and 1 the 3rd time... the second clutch I accidently broke one of the eggs.. they are very fragile when first layed... The egg from the third clutch however, was deformed and did not hatch.. I had 3 beautiful babies up until recently when one got hurt somehow and lost a toe.. He died of shock... But I presently have 2 healthy juveniles and the adults in seperate tanks... Here’s some pics of my babies and adults...

This is Sam II and Speedy...

and here’s a pic of one of the babies...

Hope I helped some.. any more questions?

02/15/08  11:40am

Glug33
View Profile

Message To: Raven Mune   In reference to Message Id: 1624717

House Gecko Egg?

I tried to remove the egg and it must have stuck because it opened! Too bad,I’ll watch for any more,and I’ll try to be more careful.

02/15/08  05:31pm

Raven Mune
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 1625094

House Gecko Egg?

That sucks.. I’m sorry it broke.. they lay eggs about 40 days apart.. How long was it after it was layed before you tried to remove it? it might not have been fully hardened when you tried... I wait a whole 24 hours to remove them just in case... Good luck! If the next set is stuck to something.. Maybe let it be til it hatches... but remove the baby immediately after hatching... what kind of substrate do you use? If its some kind of loose substrate, anything that’s stuck to it is fine.. just take it with... :) That’s all the advice I can think of so far.. any other questions?

02/15/08  06:00pm

Glug33
View Profile

Message To: Raven Mune   In reference to Message Id: 1625149

House Gecko Egg?

It was still soft,like leather. It just peeled the back off when I tried to remove it. Can you sex house geckos? I’d like to get a male and see what happens. My Russian tortoise lays eggs a couple times a year with no contact from any others as well.

02/16/08  07:08am

Raven Mune
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 1625757

House Gecko Egg?

House geckos have hard shelled eggs.. Maybe it was a frog egg? Or it might not have had time to harden yet... I really don’t know how to sex them... but on most geckos the males have 2 bumps near their vent... and I was told a "v" shape also... but if that’s so, I have 2 females.... But I’ve never had anyone varify that info for sure... Do you have pics of your setup?

02/16/08  08:04pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area