Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hognose Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hognose Snakes Forum

Curlie   Pamula   Blue eyes   SCSnakeman   Pamula   Blue eyes   Blue eyes   Pamula   BeachBum417   Pamula   Ace13   N2t   BeachBum417   N2t   Jim_H   BeachBum417   Pamula   Sckwittid   JackAsp   Angsaidso   Curlie   Gbcaine   JackAsp   Snake venom   Motley  
 Member  Message

Curlie
View Profile

A paucity of caresheets

I’ve been planning for sometime to make my next reptile addition a W. Hognose. However, husbandry info on them is not as widely spread as other herps and I always prefer opinions and guidelines from the first hand experienced.
From the few caresheets that I’ve read, there is low cage area demand and moderate temps. Can anyone help me out with better specifics, i.e. is uv needed, best substrate and best heat source, ideal tank size?
Thanks

12/12/04  02:31am

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Curlie   In reference to Message Id: 197903

A paucity of caresheets

I submitted a caresheet 2 weeks ago - but it hasn’t been approved/posted yet...

We don’t use UV, keep each individually (I wouldn’t house them together) in 10g tanks with a secure top, they love a thick layer of aspen bedding - it’s not too drying, doesn’t mold, and they can burrow through it. We use undertank heat pads - the .5 gal kind, to provide a gradient, and use the small plastic dog/cat bowls with notches on the bottoms for a combination water dish/hide box.

If you want more - talk to your Webmaster! (hint, hint)

12/12/04  12:19pm

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 197996

A paucity of caresheets

Something I have wondered is although they can eat mice if you wanted to feed them toads is there a place you can buy feeder toads? Or prekilled feeder toads? I wondered this when I first started reading about them, but never bothered to find out.

12/12/04  02:44pm

SCSnakeman
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 198036

A paucity of caresheets

I would like to know about the toads too as I want to get an Eastern Hognose. Without a source for toads I will have to go with a Western. While Westerns are really great snakes, I do have my heart set on an Eastern.

12/12/04  07:42pm

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: SCSnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 198155

A paucity of caresheets

Very few stores sell feeder toads, and they are hard to ship. The easiest thing to do is just catch them yourself in the summer...easy enough for those of us in the south, where summer lasts for 8 months :) Or you can buy an adult, and "winter" it in the coldest months. I have not had much success with Easterns...but I have been able to get them on scented pinkies. The two we had were WC, so we suspect they died from a combination of parasites & stress.

12/12/04  08:13pm

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 198176

A paucity of caresheets

Why can’t they ship them? I guess that takes out the option of ordering them.

12/13/04  12:16am

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 198319

A paucity of caresheets

Oh and very pretty snake!

P.S. How come you don’t post in the beardie forum anymore?

12/13/04  12:17am

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 198320

A paucity of caresheets

I guess they could ship them, live, but they really don’t freeze well - they shrivel up. And they require a certain amount of moisture and temp control...

The beardie forum, oh, I don’t know, I post there every once in a while, but I think the biggest problem with it is it just takes too long to load - and I am impatient! I still read it a lot, though...

12/13/04  06:45pm

BeachBum417
View Profile

A paucity of caresheets

just so you know, and especially if you live in the south, I would highly advise against feeding your hognose any wild caught lizards, frogs, but ESPECIALLY toads. wild caught lizards and frogs can have parasites, pesticides, or umpteen million other toxins on them, and theres no way to be sure that they are safe to feed. In addition to this, the very toad that has killed off a large percentage of the population of e. and s. hognoses is an exotic toad Bufo marinus, which will KILL your hognose. if you’re going for an eastern, try using a lizard/toad blend and putting that on your pinkies to get him to start eating rodents, for some even just a brained pinkie will work fine. but get them eating rodents, its much easier to feed them once they’re used to them and doesn’t adversely effect their health in any way. eastern hognoses are harder to get started on rodents, and feeder toads may be a good idea if you can get a good size variety, but I HIGHLY reccomend AGAINST feeding your snake any wild caught toads.

01/18/05  08:50pm

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: BeachBum417   In reference to Message Id: 225603

A paucity of caresheets

A feeding trick which seems to work for us is tuna scenting. It works so well - even for the Malagasies! (We have one baby speckled that actually tries to eat the parts of his sterilite container where the juice dripped...)

I agree with you, WC toads are pretty risky, even if you know what species you have in hand...

01/19/05  07:55am

Ace13
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 225991

A paucity of caresheets

i feed my broad-banded watersnakes that i caught at the park by my school toads but their immune to the toads poison and i catch the toads by where i caught my snakes so they get the same diet they would get in the wild brim,minnows,frogs,tadpoles,toads, and salamanders

austin,13

01/19/05  08:02am

N2t
View Profile

Message To: Ace13   In reference to Message Id: 225997

A paucity of caresheets

Western hognose do not need other herps for food, unlike easterns. I have a wc western I caught at six inches this summer. He is now over 1’ long and has been fed exclusivly pinkies and fuzzies. Stick to rodents for the westerns, no need to bother with any other food source. Humidity is the same as for corns, whatever your house is or lower is great, don’t raise humidity. Temps cool 70 warm 86 seems to work as those are my temps..but I have seen some sitting in a snowbank in july so... I use newsprint, aspen is also good just don’t use it to hold humidity.

01/19/05  08:11am

BeachBum417
View Profile

Message To: Ace13   In reference to Message Id: 225997

A paucity of caresheets

I dont know where you live, but the toads around are not nessicarily the snakes natural diet. I also dont know anything about borad banded watersnakes, but i do know, being an Environmental Science major here in florida, that there is a new, exotic species of toad (exotic meaning it NOT NATURALLY OCCURING) that has spread all along the south and southeast. its scientific name is Bufo marinus, and they look extremely similar to any other genus bufo toad in the southeast. The only real difference is they have a poison they secrete when being attacked, that is more potant than anything native here in the US. They have taken the lives of dogs and cats, and most of the eastern hognoses in the southeast. hognoses may be immune to the mild amounts of poison on native born species of toads, but Bufo marinus can and WILL kill them if you feed it to them.

01/19/05  09:27am

N2t
View Profile

Message To: BeachBum417   In reference to Message Id: 226030

A paucity of caresheets

There is no reason to feed western hogs toads, simply stick to f/t mice, you’ll be fine.

01/19/05  09:30am

Jim_H
View Profile

Message To: BeachBum417   In reference to Message Id: 226030

A paucity of caresheets

Bufo marinus does share it’s natural habitat with western and mexican hognoses. All Bufo’s excrete poisons which can be very toxic to many animals, but hognoses have adapted to eat them. I live in Florida and have used B. woodhousei and B. terrestris for scenting with no negative effects. If I did happen to find a B. marinus when I needed one, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it.

01/20/05  01:33pm

BeachBum417
View Profile

Message To: Jim_H   In reference to Message Id: 227192

A paucity of caresheets

Maybe Heterodon nasicus has adapted to them being in the same habitat, but I know for a fact that the marine toads strictly exotic introduction to florida has caused a severe decrease in the population of Heterodon platyrhinos. Yes all Bufo’s excrete poison, but Bufo marinus is significantly more toxic than the others, also it does NOT naturally share a habitat with Heterodon platyrhinos, so they would not have the oppertunity the adjust to the level of the toxin. Dispite all this feeding your snake any animal that you’ve caught from your backyard is extremely irrisponsible. You have no idea what kinds of parasites it might have in it or pesticdes/herbicides it might have on it. I have been studying florida-specific environmental sciences for over 5 years now, both at the Jupiter Environmental Research and Field Studies Academy and at FAU. If you feed an eastern hognose snake a marine/cane toad, it WILL die.

01/20/05  04:48pm

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: BeachBum417   In reference to Message Id: 227354

A paucity of caresheets

FAU?
My friends used to call that school Find Another University.
just joking, no offense

01/20/05  08:14pm

Sckwittid
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 227578

A paucity of caresheets

lots of toads for sell feeders

07/21/07  05:27am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 227578

A paucity of caresheets

A bag of frozen mice costs nothing and has no toxins whatsoever. And if you ever have to get rid of the snake, or if something happens to you, then the next owner will be far more capable of takng care of it if itís eating something thatís actually accessible to everybody. If you want to see one eat a toad, watch a nature video.

07/22/07  04:22am

Angsaidso
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1369281

A paucity of caresheets

Hi there ... I am new here and have two baby Eastern Hognose in my care. I have been trying everything to get these little guys to eat, but they are unwilling. I was told they were wild caught, and since it is getting cold here I have no access to any toads at this time locally. I have read all of the posts here and just wondered if someone would be so kind as to contact me privately so that I can discuss possible ways to switch these guys to pinkies for the winter? I would appreciate it as I donít get to check this forum often. Thank you SO much! Peace~
Ang

09/22/07  10:12pm

Curlie
View Profile

Message To: Angsaidso   In reference to Message Id: 1453465

A paucity of caresheets

Hahaha, wow I made this thread nearly 3 years ago, and itís still alive!

I still havenít gotten a snake, the fiance forbids them in the house, but Iíll break him down once we have a reptile room

09/23/07  01:41pm

Gbcaine
View Profile

Message To: Curlie   In reference to Message Id: 1454074

A paucity of caresheets

HAHA! My husband nearly divorced me when I brought home a baby western hognose!!! He still wonít touch him, but he has gotten over it!

11/01/07  11:28pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Gbcaine   In reference to Message Id: 1498322

A paucity of caresheets

Just tell him itís no contest. Baby hognoses are cuter.

11/05/07  05:08pm

Snake venom
View Profile

A paucity of caresheets

all you need is a heat pad

11/05/07  07:30pm

Motley
View Profile

A paucity of caresheets

There is a good W. Hognose care sheet at Western Hognose