Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Iguanas Forum

Barkers   AW love da iggys   Barkers   AW love da iggys  
 Member  Message

Barkers
View Profile

Pregnant Iguana

Can anyone tell me behaviors of a pregnant Iguana? Do they quit eating? How long do they carry eggs?We took our female to the vet because she was bloated. Xray showed her organs all squished up. she also had an infection that we gave her meds for. Her next xray a week later showed oval shapes. Then she was eating like a pig and now has stopped eating. Please help!

12/09/06  04:45pm

AW love da iggys
View Profile

Message To: Barkers   In reference to Message Id: 1088861

Pregnant Iguana

.. what vet do you go to?? they should be able to tell a gravid ig... any who, she does sound gravid, set her up a lay box somewhere quiet... it needs to be BIG and DEEP with sterile potting soil(put the soil in the over for 2 hours on 250 in a baking pan or something) she needs to be able to dig a hole to bury the eggs in,, if she doesnt lay the eggs she can become egg bound and die.

12/09/06  11:55pm

Barkers
View Profile

Message To: AW love da iggys   In reference to Message Id: 1089336

Pregnant Iguana

Yes, the vet thinks shes gravid. I built her a box a few days ago but still nothing even though she slept in it all last night. Thank you for your reply, gives me alittle piece of mind. Do you have any ideas on how to keep her box warm? Thank you so much!

12/10/06  02:24pm

AW love da iggys
View Profile

Message To: Barkers   In reference to Message Id: 1089815

Pregnant Iguana

does she normally free roam, or is she kept in a cage? if shes used to being in a cage, your best bet would be to put her lay box in the cage with her,, if she free roams, you might want to confine her to the bathroom..as far as keeping her box warm, you can make some sort of cover for it so that she can still get in easily, but then place a heat lamp aimed at it for warmth(not on it,i dont know what its made off) or you can try keeping it near a heating vent in a warm room.. make sure the soil is moist enough that she can dig a hole without it collapsing.. also, keep an eye on her sides.. she probably wont lay when you are in the room, so if you see her sides suddenly get skinny, search the box for eggs, and if there are a bunch, then remove them, and leave the lay box for another day or two just to make sure shes done.. as soon as she lays, start trying to feed her.. if shes slow to eat, get some Jump start, and put it all over her food, jump start makes them want to eat.

12/10/06  05:14pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area