Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Iguanas Forum

Mali girl   Mali girl   Tim M.   Shiftylarry   Mali girl  
 Member  Message

Mali girl
View Profile

Club tailed iguana?

I tried this in the general lizards forum but not many responded so I will try it here. Does anyone have information on the care and keeping of club tailed iguanas. I saw one at the pet store last week and really liked it. Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you

02/19/08  04:25pm

Mali girl
View Profile

Message To: Mali girl   In reference to Message Id: 1629780

Club tailed iguana?

Does anyone have info!?

02/19/08  06:19pm

Tim M.
View Profile

Message To: Mali girl   In reference to Message Id: 1629947

Club tailed iguana?

i have a club tail iguana they are very rare pets sometimes one of a kins depending where u live. i got mine about 2 weeks ago so am still learning alot but i learned all my stuff from this forum basically. and club tailed iguanas have slot of the same care sheets at other iguanas. my iguana took up to 4 days to eat then he finally ate when i put newspaper around his cage so he could eat in peace. i took the paper off 3 days later and he would eat when no one is in the room. they take alot of time to settle and become comfortable in a home. i am leaving half the cage newspaper on til he is more settles. they also are very restless when nervous but can be very tame as well. very 50-50. you need at least a 20 gallon tank, day n night basking lamps temp n humidity gages, heat pad, sand surface/substrate and sumiknd of hut for him to retreat to when nervous or too hot. some driftwood would be great for him to climb on 2. maybe some rocks etc...these are mexican desert iguanas. therefore during the day temp must be 80-120 degrees n night 75-85 degrees. if he gets too cold he will just sit and refuse to eat. there is not alot of info on club tails due to the rareity and u must have patience. iguanas can also geta little expensive like vet visits, cage stuff lights etc...thyey are amazing creatures tho and very cute! i wouldnt give him crickets until youve had him 4 a week or so. feed him collard greens, mustrad greens or kale etc...NOT LETTUCE i learned this. after a week u can try feeding him meal worms or crickets. i may have forgotten sum things just let me know any other ?s and give me updates n pics if you decide to get one! ---Tim

02/19/08  06:54pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Tim M.   In reference to Message Id: 1630012

Club tailed iguana?

They are great animals. You really don’t need a caresheet. There is something people seem to have forgotten in the field of husbandry and that’s DOING RESEARCH (not aimed at you, don’t worry). When I say "research" I mean research their habitat. What are the daytime/night time temperatures? What’s the humidity? Are the temperatures stable? What kind of fluctuations occur? What is the composition of the dirt? Soily? Sandy? Decomposed? Wet? What kind of plants exist in the area?

All of these facts will help you design your enclosure.

Best of luck!
-Chris

02/19/08  07:45pm

Mali girl
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1630097

Club tailed iguana?

Thanks for the info, It has helped with research. Does anyone else know about these iguanas?

02/21/08  06:45pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area