Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Archive  Iguanas Forum  Forums  Archives

Iguanas Forum

Pamula   Reptile_guy   Pamula   Xta   Pamula   Reptile_guy   Pe   Reptile_guy   Pamula   Xta   Pamula   Xta   Pamula   Xta  
 Member  Message

Pamula
View Profile

Baytril

Anybody know anything about Baytril?
Side effects? Before/after food?
The Captain didn’t seem so pleased with me when I tried to force her mouth open and squirt stuff down it...

12/18/03  9:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reptile_guy
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 19770

Baytril

Whats baytril used for?

12/19/03  12:13am
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_guy   In reference to Message Id: 19796

Baytril

It’s an antibiotic. My baby is taking it orally, but sometimes it’s injected (in serious cases.)

12/19/03  12:47am
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 19800

Baytril

Yes...it can be hard on their kidneys. Make sure to give plenty of water and soak your veggies...give baths, mist, etc. Do as much as you can to keep him extra hydrated. If the Captain is large enough, you may want to do what I now do with Sleestack and antibiotics. He has to take so much since he is large that it becomes almost impossible if it is bad tasting. I first got them to flavor the meds in a fruity flavor, but now just give him a pill (hide it in a treat) and he gulps it down no problem! This is so much easier for me and him. He thinks he is getting a reward instead of being punished!

12/19/03  9:19am
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 19823

Baytril

Thanks XTA. He is too small for that, though, and doesn’t like to eat out of my hand. i have to do the "force his mouth open" thing, which isn’t easy, to say the least.
I’ve been bathing him every day, in addition to taking him with me in the shower for misting, and have left one of those little sandwich holders, full of water, in his tank.
I felt so bad, though - last night, after his dose, he just crawled into his little cave and went to sleep, very early for him., it worried me a little.

12/19/03  11:29am
Sorry, No Replies

Reptile_guy
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 19823

Baytril

Why do you give Slee antibiotics? Do all mature iguanas need it, or is it a treament for an injury/sickness?

12/19/03  2:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_guy   In reference to Message Id: 19860

Baytril

My iguana never had antibiotices, but I am curious to what happened to your iguana that it had to have antibiotics. Respiratory infection?

PE

12/19/03  2:53pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reptile_guy
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 19869

Baytril

Thats probably what it was

12/19/03  3:06pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_guy   In reference to Message Id: 19870

Baytril

Some sort of infection...we’re not sure what kind - i took him in to have his blood checked for MBD because his toes were looking kind of gnarly.
I think it’s respiratory - he’s sneezing a lot lately, I think it’s more than just "snalting".

12/19/03  5:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 19869

Baytril

For Slee, he only had to be on them once (and it was this year). Before that he has just had meds for parasites at least once per year (our veggies must be contaminated or something). His blood work was of concern to the vet this last time...the numbers showed a possible sign of infection although he acted perfectly normal. I decided to treat him since I did have baseline figures of other blood tests. It’s just always hard for me to judge because he hates the vet so much I know his stress probably throws off his levels.

12/19/03  8:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 19905

Baytril

How much/how often, XTA?
The Captain’s dose is .1 on the syringe every 12 hrs for 2 weeks. He took it like a champ this morning. Then I took him out for a car ride to our friend’s store. He was SOOOO good.

12/19/03  8:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 19909

Baytril

Pamula...you’re lucky because I kept the bottle. With my memory there would be no way I could tell you that otherwise!

He took one tablet per day for 14 days. The tablets were 22.7mg. It was the easiest time I’ve ever had.

Earlier in the year I had to treat him for parasites and sheesh...he acted like I was killing him. I don’t ever force feed it to him. I couldn’t do this for 2 weeks. He would get very mean and start hiding and freaking out with this kind of trauma. He is pretty sensitive. So I always have to trick him. I had a huge syringe filled with bad tasting meds that I hid in parts of a muffin (I baked just for him!) He hacked and gagged and had never fussed so much in his life. I knew he would stop trusting me to feed him treats if I kept that up. He’s pretty smart. So I called the vet and they admitted it was the worst tasting stuff, but offered to flavor it. This meant I had to give him even more since it was diluted but they made it pina colada flavored. He still didn’t like it, but didn’t react as badly to it and I’d have to give him lots of treats in between so he didn’t know when the bad one was coming! Oh the trouble we go through to please the dragon! A happy iguana means a happy xta though....an angry iguana will not do! He can hold a grudge for a looooong time.

12/19/03  9:05pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 19926

Baytril

You will not believe this, but right after I squirted the Baytril down his throat (he wouldn’t even open his mouth for Jim ) The Captain ate right out of my hand! He chowed down! It was unbelievable! I think he likes the attention!

I’m amazed at what a big beauty Slee is! You have done a good job! i am using a lot of exclamation points!

Maybe Slee is a supertaster...!!!

12/19/03  9:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 19933

Baytril

Well I’m happy that the Captain is enjoying this time...let’s hope it lasts!

Slee thanks you for the compliments.

12/19/03  10:18pm
Sorry, No Replies

Iguanas Archive  Iguanas Forum  Forums  Archives