Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Iguanas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JessiM   Nile/water monitors   JessiM   Tempestborn   Motess   Really   JessiM   Nile/water monitors   JessiM   JessiM   ReptiGal94   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   Nile/water monitors   JessiM   JessiM   Heatherrose415   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   Clementine   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM   JessiM  
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Member  Message

JessiM
View Profile

A few tips on helping your iggy like you.

I know that there are plenty of ways to get your iguana to like you or at least tolerate you. And some are "by the book" and some people have discovered over time what works for their monsters. and that would work for others.

I love to help out on getting people and their monsters to coexist with one another... and my goal is to help the iguana themselves see that not all humans are mean. Same with people to iguanas.

And yea i have posted on threads in giving advice on helping ... but i jut like to make a thread on this subject alone..

Everyone knows that baby iguanas are a pain to handle and they are sooo tiny and skiddish of every little thing that is bigger than them. Feisty, tail whipping and bitting brats am i right...

a few tips that everyone already knows unless you are new to this...

What to do with a brand new baby iggy and/or an adopted adult:

1.) Leave the iguana in its cage with no handling for at least 2 or 3 weeks to adjust to its new home.
2.) talking to the cutie with a kind and gentle voice will help it see that you are no threat.
3.) always move slowly around your iguana
4.) keep at eye level or let it be higher than eye level with you.., they feel safer if they see you as not a big predator.
5.) clean cage as necessary, moving slowly in the cage. same with replacing water and food.

this might take a few weeks or longer

trying to get your iggy to get use to the dreaded hands..: this might take months a few mins a day is best to not stress them out...

1.) sit in front of the cage with hands in the iggies view...
2.) open the cage slowly and place hands on the floor or in the cage but not close to the iggy.
3. slowly every day move closer to the iguana, but do not get to close to where he feels scared..and starts puffing up.. or panics

4.) once you are close enough to where you can almost touch the iguana, offer food to them. grapes work well. and apples.. something sweet. but healthy of course
5.) once you are able to hand feed treats to the iguana, you have started to gain the iguanas trust... but please do not push the iggy to be picked up just yet.

HANDLING!!!! the painfully fun part of iggy bonding... this will take a few months probabaly lol

1.) a few good ways to get your iguana to even get near you is..food.. lots and lots of treats.
2.) you can coax your iguana out of his/her cage with treats.. but you must make sure that the room you are in is iggy proof and escape proof.
3. if you are able to coax the iggy out with your food bribery, make sure you are eye level with them.. ie. lying on your stomach.

4.) using food to inch your iguana closer to you will distract it from feeling fear.
5.) once the iguana is close to you..do NOTHING.. just let it check you out.. let it crawl all over you too... lick you and see you ...
6.) once your iguana seems to be feeling "chill" around you sit up slowly and see if it will crawl on you...
7.) use your hands to see if it allows you to gently pet it on the back.. never pet the head or tail right away.. those are to sensitive of an area.
7. once you got all that down and the iguana seems to enjoy your presence.... place your hands under its belly and just sit there.. do this a few times when yoou have your bonding session.
8.) if he/she dont mind it..add a lil lift.. sliding your arm under the belly with your hands at its front legs and chest. as if you are a branch ....
9.) just let it sit on your arm like this every session.
10.) once it gets the hangof it..slowly try to lift your iggy upand toward you for support.

and tada!!! you can hold your iggy with out to much fussssss and remember treats are your friend llol

these are just some tips i used on my male iguanas when i had them... it worked out pretty good with them...

martie was a different story she took to me very fast and was and still is an angel...

TIME and PATIENCE are the two keys in helping you and your iggy out in becoming good buddies ^^

but anyway just remember you cannot "tame" an iguana you can only have it see that you are its friend and not its enemy. that it can trust you and bond with you... iguanas can and do bond strongly with their owners and its a lifetime of enjoyment.

also, to never force your iguana to do anything it dont want to do, that will only cause you more pain in the end. never yell or punish your iguana if it tail whips or bites you.. its gonna happen if you like it or not...

if anyone else wants to put some of their tips on here feel free! other than that i hope my lil tips helped out . ^^

from

jess and martie

10/26/10  01:25pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2183665

Totally agree! Letting the reptile warm up to the idea of you being around, trying to come across as a non threat, let the Iguana decide when the time is safe/right. Giving the animal some say so and not force handling, only lowers the stress level for the animal = a healthy keeper/captive relationship. You were paying attention in "IGGY 101":) Your post will help new comers to better under stand the little monster they are taking on. I couldn’t add anything to your post. Nice job Jess.

10/26/10  04:13pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2183697

thank you very much ^^

10/26/10  04:35pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2183708

martie is so sweet... lucky you! my ’tello still has a little spike on his nose, too.

all the advice you gave worked beautifully on lily--once. she still hasn’t decided to accept me again. all i know is "time and patience." if she never gets sweet again i’ll love her anyway. i mean, who else is going to?

i know i’ve also learned to read donatello’s mood pretty well. sometimes he plain doesn’t want to be messed with, and even though he’d never bite, he will scratch (a LOT) and it’ll stress us both out, and i’d rather just leave him till he’s happier.

i think the better you know your ig’s body language and other signals, the better chance you have of approaching them at good times. and the only way to get that knowledge is watch, watch, watch.

jesse

10/27/10  01:29am

Motess
View Profile

Thanks for that i need to re learn how to tame issac again! I havent handled him in over a week he doesnt run away when i look at him anymore but when i open the cage and put food in he still does, this is going to take a while. :(

You sure know your stuff you should write a book!

10/27/10  02:31pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Motess   In reference to Message Id: 2183925

Great post! You’re right on the mark! We need to be patient with these little dinosaurs.

10/27/10  03:51pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2183944

probably could write a book lol... i am thinking of it actually lol

iggy body language is reall easy to read once you know all the lil movements ^^ i swear i know exactly what martie is thinking most of the time..lmao

thanks guys for the comments ^^ im glad you all like the tips!!

from

jess and martie

10/27/10  06:22pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2183969

BUMP

11/02/10  08:28am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2185128

BUMP BBUMMPP

11/02/10  08:11pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2185255

11/03/10  04:23pm

ReptiGal94
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2185469

Great post Jess! I’m lucky Diamond was just like Martie and accepted me first thing. A’ya is pretty much tamed as well, she just doesn’t do too well to anyone BESIDES Adeline or me going near her lol.

BUMP! :D

JoAnne

11/04/10  08:26am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: ReptiGal94   In reference to Message Id: 2185598

thats baby iggies for ya ^^ their like cats sometimes haha

THANKIES

11/04/10  11:56am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2185632

bumps

11/06/10  07:10pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2183697

BUMPP

11/10/10  10:54am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2186710

11/11/10  11:01pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2187008

epp bump bump

11/16/10  12:43pm

JessiM
View Profile

bumppppp

11/20/10  02:01pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2188681

go’n up

11/22/10  01:37pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2188989

bump bump

11/24/10  12:10pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2185632

BUMPP

11/27/10  05:52pm

Heatherrose415
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2189704

What about bathing? I have had kiwi now for 3 weeks, and I was getting him out to bathe, but he is being more skiddish so i am guessing I should wait til he is more adjusted and trusts me more?

11/28/10  07:49pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Heatherrose415   In reference to Message Id: 2189881

bathing is usually once a week or so yes? you could spray him with a mister every few days while he settles in... thats what i did with all my iguanas. till they were handleable.. (except martie lol)

you can put a large shallow warm water bowl into the enclosure for him to bathe...

but if you need to place him in a tub.. use a towel to handle him. BUT be very gentle about it..

11/28/10  07:52pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2189883

12/03/10  10:06pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2190863

12/04/10  01:58pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2190916

12/07/10  03:53pm

Clementine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2191479

bump

12/11/10  06:41pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Clementine   In reference to Message Id: 2192207

12/24/10  08:41pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2194310

bump

01/01/11  07:30pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2195638

01/04/11  10:10am

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2196243

going uppp

01/05/11  10:53pm

Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area