Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Iguanas Forum

Reptile expert   Markay   Xta   Markay   Stephen   Iluviggy   Xta   Markay   Michael taylor   Markay   Xta   Michael taylor   Michael taylor   Xta   Markay   Iluviggy   Iluviggy   Pe   Pe   Markay  
 Member  Message

Reptile expert
View Profile

Broccoli

Is it good to feed iguanas broccoli?

03/26/04  5:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Reptile   In reference to Message Id: 51702

Broccoli

i tryed once rocky didnt like it much but he ate it

03/26/04  6:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Broccoli

No...it isn’t really a great item. Once in awhile as a treat it won’t hurt but not regularly. It can lead to metabolic problems.

03/26/04  7:57pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 51768

Broccoli

i dont think i wilkl feed rocky brocoli anymore

03/26/04  8:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Stephen
View Profile

Message To: Markay   In reference to Message Id: 51785

Broccoli

Meaty vegetables are the best type of food for iguanas. Broccoli is one of the best. The pet store owner of our best pet store told me so, and he has degrees from studying about reptiles. My friend has an iguana and it loves broccoli. Asparagus and squash are exampls of other good meaty vegetables. For treats it can have fruits. I hope this helps. Stephen

03/26/04  10:17pm
Sorry, No Replies

Iluviggy
View Profile

Message To: Stephen   In reference to Message Id: 51818

Broccoli

actually, broccoli is not good for iguanas. it has a high phosphorus ratio; so does cabbage, cauliflower, and spinach. phosphorus can bind calcium and prevent it from being absorbed.
i’m not sure about asparagus, but squash is good.
however, the best food for iguanas isn’t one food, but a variety of vegetables, mainly consisting of leafy greens, much like they would eat in the wild.

03/26/04  11:38pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Stephen   In reference to Message Id: 51818

Broccoli

Stephen, I suggest you don’t trust people blindly no matter how smart they seem and look up the info. from various sources yourself. You will see that broccoli is not a proper food item (except maybe as a rare treat).

03/27/04  9:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 51917

Broccoli

i AGREE once again

03/27/04  9:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Michael taylor
View Profile

Broccoli

obviously there is conflicting reports about broccolli and i feel for ya im a new igauna owner and ive tried all kinds of different food items and believe it or not broccolli gets eaten as soon as i put it out my igauna loves it but there is a problem with anything in excess but if your igauna loves broccolli like mine does make sure she gets the right vitamin supplements and sunlight and i think you should be fine ive heard of a guy in new york who had a healthy adult igauna for over 10 years that ate pizza so broccolli cant be all that bad lol

04/04/04  4:58pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Michael   In reference to Message Id: 54661

Broccoli

well pizza isnt right comprehending to your philosophy i just dont observe how in iguana can consume such a greasy slimy slimball food weird.

04/04/04  6:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Michael   In reference to Message Id: 54661

Broccoli

If you let a little kid eat whatever he wants, he’ll eat candy, cake, and soda. This doesn’t mean that is the best thing for him. Just because an iguana will eat something doesn’t mean he should. You shouldn’t feed pizza to an iguana and you should only feed broccoli as a treat.

04/04/04  9:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Michael taylor
View Profile

Message To: Markay   In reference to Message Id: 54702

Broccoli

markay you obviously need to go to school a little more you obviously didnt comprehend what i said you need to learn to read a little before you try to sound intelligent

04/04/04  9:45pm
Sorry, No Replies

Michael taylor
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 54787

Broccoli

you missed my point xta obviously i dont and never would feed my iguana pizza im just saying that if my iguana likes broccoli and i feed it to her with an obvious rotation of other vegetables and fruits

04/04/04  9:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Michael   In reference to Message Id: 54792

Broccoli

It should not be part of your normal rotation. Multiple people are trying to let you know that brocolli isn’t a good choice....you can argue all you want. It causes thyroid and metabolic problems and should not be a part of a reptile’s regular diet.

04/04/04  10:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 54806

Broccoli

i agree with xta and dude you need to lighten up i was just joking but it shouldnt it pizza its what i am saying

04/05/04  8:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Iluviggy
View Profile

Message To: Markay   In reference to Message Id: 55176

Broccoli

you guys took the words right out of my mouth. an iguana will eat and like whatever it thinks tastes good, just like any other animal, w/ the exception of humans, who have the ability to choose foods based on nutrition.(well at least some do!)as people taking care of wild animals, we take responsibility for making that choice.
Stephen, i don’t know what kind of "degrees from studying reptiles" this guy has,(is he a vet or biologist?) but if you do the research, you will find that he is wrong.basing a decision on what your ig wants and what it needs are 2 different things,just as xta said. i hope you ask someone more qualified than we are; i am confident you will get the same answer as from us.
p.s.the education comment you made to markay was uncalled for.

04/06/04  1:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

Iluviggy
View Profile

Message To: Markay   In reference to Message Id: 55176

Broccoli

in case i posted the last thing wrong my message was for michael taylor more than it was for stephen, but i hope everyone reads it anyway.....

04/06/04  1:07pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Iluviggy   In reference to Message Id: 51835

Broccoli

Just wanted to add to Iluviggy’s comment...broccoli is also high in goitrogens which can cause injury to your reptiles organs. Also as mentioned above the phosporous ratio is higher then the calcium, where the foods your feed your iguana should have a higher calcium then phosophorus. As for the guy feeding his iguana pizza and broccoli...I have heard stories like that too, but have yet to meet the iguana that survived it. Not saying it isn’t possible, but just saying I don’t believe everything I hear.

PE

04/06/04  4:45pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 55548

Broccoli

One more thing I didn’t address...I’m sure the guy with the degree meant well, but they can also make mistakes...I have also read iguana books, which we all seem to trust the authors of, suggesting feeding your green iguana cat and dog food as well as monkey chow for protien supplements. Which we now know that it can cause kidney damage and death. One other thing I want to note is the general Ca:P ratios...from my new hobby of gardening, and from what I been learning these ratios are dependent on the soils used. Which explains why nobody has the same Ca:P ratios for their vegetables.

Here is another list here at RepticZone for vegetables with their Oxalic Acid amounts.

PE

04/06/04  4:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

Markay
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 55554

Broccoli

i agree feeding an iguana dog/cat food can harm them kidney

04/06/04  5:54pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area