Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Iguanas Forum

Fat iguana   Smm012   Spartan34   Kling   Kling   Smm012   Fat iguana   Hairylags   Albaraa   Hairylags   TAZ™  
 Member  Message

Fat iguana
View Profile

Do your iguanas shake they’re heads?

My iggy(thats his name) shakes his head kind of like a cat that has fleas. could that possibly that he is sick. I am going to post a pic of of iggy as soon as i can. he is a nice healthy green and is starting to get tame.

12/18/05  10:20pm

Smm012
View Profile

Message To: Fat iguana   In reference to Message Id: 576718

Iguanas will shake,nod and bob their heads as a way of communicating with you,or each other. BE ADVISED,THOUGH, DO NOT DO IT BACK TO THEM!!YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, AND THAT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS!!( and bites)

12/20/05  07:47pm

Spartan34
View Profile

Message To: Smm012   In reference to Message Id: 578578

yes when they shake their head that is because they dont want to be petted, and telling you that it doesnt want to be bothered in a nice way. My rex does it everytime i rub him on the head (because he looks so damn cute). He shakes his head a couple of times (especially when hes basking, but he lets you rub him on the head when hes not basking). Anyways, there are other behavioural languages such as headbobbing that tells you to leave him/her alone. I headbob back with a stuff animal and trogdor and the stuff animal start fighting. Really cool, but when trogdor bites the stuff animal she eats alot of the hair or fur or whatever is on the stuff animal so that may pose a problem.

12/20/05  10:49pm

Kling
View Profile

Message To: Spartan34   In reference to Message Id: 578762

Headbobing could mean alot of things.. it could mean he is saying hello how r you? or hey back of leave me alone.. my male dos it alot too.. but he is saying hello.. he is my baby..

Neil

12/21/05  08:25pm

Kling
View Profile

Message To: Spartan34   In reference to Message Id: 578762

Headbobing could mean alot of things.. it could mean he is saying hello how r you? or hey back of leave me alone.. my male dos it alot too.. but he is saying hello.. he is my baby..

Neil

12/21/05  08:26pm

Smm012
View Profile

Message To: Kling   In reference to Message Id: 579622

NICE LIZARD! Males also like to bob to say "look at me, I’m THE man!"

12/22/05  02:06am

Fat iguana
View Profile

Message To: Smm012   In reference to Message Id: 579911

Thanks guys for all the help. i took Iggy to the vet and they said that head bobbing is normal but head shakeing is not. What it means is that he is not sheading correctly. he has not shead for the past two months, and that is making him irritated.

12/28/05  04:54am

Hairylags
View Profile

Message To: Fat iguana   In reference to Message Id: 585136

one of my igs is a grumpy old lady and she shakes here head NO! every time i open her cage she just likes to lie around and not be bothered :)

12/28/05  01:45pm

Albaraa
View Profile

Message To: Fat iguana   In reference to Message Id: 576718

i never seen my iqu.. shanking or headbobin..::>? ot i might not noticed it... if it doesnt like me to touch it.. it hit with the tail or make sudden movements ? then i understand iqu wanna be alone?
whenever i touch the head..he closes the eyes and freez..make the head up.. i heared that pozition means he is in defenc position... is it right?

12/28/05  03:26pm

Hairylags
View Profile

Message To: Albaraa   In reference to Message Id: 585508

yea its mostly because he doesn’t want his eyes to be poked :)
its the same as when someone pretends to hit you and u flinch and scwint your eyes. Some people think that its the Iguana showing affection. But it really is not. Don’t get me wrong Igs do show plenty of it.

12/28/05  06:14pm

TAZ™
View Profile

Message To: Hairylags   In reference to Message Id: 585672

when Females bob there head its always bad meanin males it could be bad or friendly females are rude lol i read that when they do it it some times it means hey you there get me FOOD NOW.

12/28/05  07:22pm

Back to Iguanas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area