Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects Forum

The White Wolf   The White Wolf   Clawedfrogsrule  
 Member  Message

The White Wolf
View Profile

Help, praying mantis has two broken legs!

I walked into my room just a little bit ago and when I checked on my mantis he was on the floor of his cage.Both of his legs are broken on one side. I don’t know how it happened but the only evidence I saw was the molting of him. I think he might of had a problem molting and broke them. I heard that they can regenerate them when they’re young but when they turn adult they lose this ability. He has already began to grow his wings so I believe he is turning into an adult or is already. What should I do? Please answer ASAP Thanks in advanced.

07/17/08  07:32pm

The White Wolf
View Profile

Message To: The White Wolf   In reference to Message Id: 1799754

The legs are attached but they seem limb is this normal after molting or are they actually broken

07/17/08  07:41pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: The White Wolf   In reference to Message Id: 1799770

Well right after molting the body can be pretty soft, I’ve never actually had any mantids, but I’ve had crustaceans, and weird things can seem to happen when they shed. As long as the legs aren’t actually broken off I think it should be ok, maybe it just needs some time to stiffen up. Also, at least with the other crustaceans I’ve had, they can regenerate at any age as long as they shed.
Hope this helps, good luck.

07/18/08  10:39pm

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area