Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

SwampDonkey   Reptictale92   BansheeRacer25   Krusty   Krusty   Krusty   BansheeRacer25   Reptictale92   SwampDonkey   BansheeRacer25   SwampDonkey   BansheeRacer25   SwampDonkey   Norf   Chad Lane   SwampDonkey   Varanus_odom   Krusty   CubanAce   SwampDonkey  
 Member  Message

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Hybrid monitors....which ones can interbreed?

Ive seen some black throat x white throat crosses, as well as Sumatran x Bivitattus water monitor crosses. So which ones can interbreed?

maybe a black throat x ornate?

Thoughts?

10/21/10  10:21pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: SwampDonkey   In reference to Message Id: 2182647

All of those monitors that are crossed bred have huge health problems. The only ones that I think are good to cross bred is certain species of Agrus monitors like the sand and the original one or something like that.

10/21/10  10:56pm

BansheeRacer25
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2182654

They can be bred and perfectly fine health wise. The question is why the he’ll! Would you cross. There are a bunch of species you can cross but its stupid. Wc can barely be bred to the right species let alone a different species.

10/22/10  06:59am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: BansheeRacer25   In reference to Message Id: 2182679

Reptical92 - you couldn’t be more off-base. Why the heck would it be acceptable to cross V. panoptes from tropical PNG to an Australian desert Sand Monitor, V. gouldii? Just because they, and a ton of other species, are physically able to mate and produce mongrel babies, does not justify doing this. I think intentionally crossing ANY Varanid species is half, no fully, baked. How about simply getting two Monitors of the same species to breed and then play Frankenstein privately to yourself.

People have bred several Tree Monitors, Salvator types, Gouldii types, Caudolineatus x Gilleni and all sorts of mixes, but it’s not a good thing. It’s done more out of necessity or ignorance with rare or poorly understood animals. But to do it intentionally, because it’s "cool and neat" is creepy. If a human mated an Orangutan and somebody was doing this for cool animal projects, you’d have a much different outlook of "tampering" with what should not be tampered with.

10/22/10  08:47am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2182694

Hey guys, lets make some of these. They’re cool:

10/22/10  09:57am

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2182703

10/22/10  10:01am

BansheeRacer25
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2182704

LOL

10/22/10  11:18am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: BansheeRacer25   In reference to Message Id: 2182709

I was saying that the crosses between the two Agrus monitors are the only ones that I see often. I am not for cross breeding (except for snakes) for the fact being that they are few people in America that do not breed the same kind of monitor, so why should we worry about what we should cross bred. One monitor though I would love to see, and this would just be a one time thing is a Yellow, and red Ackie cross I am sorry, but I think that would be awesome to see in a lifetime. Not for one second was I saying it was alright to bred the two Agrus monitor spiecies.

10/22/10  12:12pm

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2182704

Oh this wasnt a question of the moral implications of interbreeding species, just which ones could, and which ones have. A few years ago I came across an animal being sold as a Black Throat, but looked VERY strange. It was a stunner with rich yellow bands on its tail that continued up its back. I think there were 4 bands on its back, each with a bright yellowish orange spot in the center with progressively smaller spots tapering down its sides. In some areas the scales were jet black. It had a longer tail than any black throat id seen as well. I looked around for the picture but cant even remember what site it was on. It looked all the world like a black throat x ornate.

Anyone else seen this?

10/22/10  04:06pm

BansheeRacer25
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2182714

V a b and v a a crosses are quite common. Basically looks like a $hitty red.

10/22/10  08:20pm

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Message To: BansheeRacer25   In reference to Message Id: 2182778

A red what?

10/22/10  10:55pm

BansheeRacer25
View Profile

Message To: BansheeRacer25   In reference to Message Id: 2182778

I’m sorry. Red ackie. I figured everyone knew what I was talking about.

10/23/10  12:04am

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Message To: BansheeRacer25   In reference to Message Id: 2182819

Oh, well most might but not myself. never did much homework on the Ackies.

10/23/10  01:09am

Norf
View Profile

Message To: SwampDonkey   In reference to Message Id: 2182826

Probably Noliticus and Ornatus...

I’ve also seen some ArgusXFlavi mixes.

10/23/10  06:05pm

Chad Lane
View Profile

Message To: Norf   In reference to Message Id: 2182931

I hate hybrids, and never would do it.

Though, there have been White/Black Throat crosses.
Argus X flavi X gouldii
Argus X flavi
Flavi X gouldii
beccarii X prasinus
gilleni X caudolineatus
Red Ackie X Yellow Ackie

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head that have been done.

I don’t believe niloticus can cross with ornatus Rob Frust tried it with several different adult animals hemipenes must be different.

No way a albigularis could cross with ornatus.

Keep in mind some people have problems with even different locales of the same species (salvadorii, salvator, indicus sp etc...)

Cheers,
Chad

10/24/10  01:15am

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Message To: Chad Lane   In reference to Message Id: 2183011

Yeah theres a good chance it was either a really funky looking ornate (most likely) or a really funky looking black throat. The coloration incorporated some grays I dont see on ornates, and his head was very blocky, similar to that of an older ornate but he didnt appear to be an aged animal. Im still on the hunt for the pic.

10/24/10  02:03am

Varanus_odom
View Profile

Message To: SwampDonkey   In reference to Message Id: 2183017

Definite no on the Ornatus/Albigularis.

10/24/10  06:11pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Varanus_odom   In reference to Message Id: 2183164

Quote:

V a b and v a a crosses are quite common. Basically looks like a $hitty red.

Yup, not the most attractive lizard I’ve ever had sold to me.....Anyone want him?

but they are technically subspecies or localities that have been mixed, not different species and not from different Islands/continents. Some newer field guides in AUS actually say "red" vs "yellow" Acanthurus are just color localities and have dropped the brachyurus name from "Yellows". I’m still on the fence on this though personally.

FYI - Varanus gouldii and Varanus gouldii flavirufus are subspecies (localities) of the same species. There is no Varanus "flavirufus" as a separate species by common acceptance.

But now intentionally interbreeding Ornatus with Albigularis or something that is clearly a different animal, that I don’t get.... Our USA animals are "Argus" (Papuan Varanus panoptes horni, not Aussie Vpp or Vpr) and there’s no reason to mix it to a Varanus gouldii or Varanus gouldii flavirufus. Even the original guy who did this said it was a mistake and he didn’t know one from the other and there were precious few around to even attempt breeding. They were all called "Gould’s Monitors" back 25 years ago. But what was done is done and now there are mostly mutt Sand Monitors out there with very few pure V. gouldii(flavirufus) in US collections. I’m hoping these hatch for me!

10/25/10  08:38pm

CubanAce
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2183499

Well i respect anyones way of thinking about crossing species of monitors,as for my self that is something that i would never do my self, i wont even buy an animal that i know was crossed with a diferent spicies, i have 4 dif kinds of reptiles that i own, i have a savanna monitor,Argus monitor,frilled lizard and a green iguana and i know how hard it is to meet each of those dif habitad needs,so imagine having a crossed monitor OMG i cant even picture my self doing that or raising one,let god and nature do its job! so far they are doing a great job, all my reptiles are 100% pure breed,for example my Argus monitor rips hes cage apart each day after day they love to dig that is what they do LOL, my savanna monitor loves to make borrows as deep as 1 1/2 all over hes habitad and so on!!! pure breeds 8) just by looking at them so active is just awsome sight,all covered in mud and all just awsome il post some pictures soon.

10/26/10  06:09pm

SwampDonkey
View Profile

Message To: CubanAce   In reference to Message Id: 2183739

Mark my words, all will be crushed beneath the boots of my hybrid human/ape/Komodo Dragon army!

:)

10/26/10  08:21pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area