Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monitors Forum

ICEMAN   ICEMAN   Roachey56   Pe   ICEMAN   Roachey56   ICEMAN   Roachey56   Rich23   ICEMAN   ICEMAN   LizardKing   Roachey56   KAP10CAVY   Roachey56   ICEMAN   Pe   ICEMAN   WildWilly   Savanna-man101   Jungle Mac  
 Member  Message

ICEMAN
View Profile

Still confused about which monitor,but cage building questions..

me again..
im still not sure about which monitor to get,if i get one of ones magazoo had,(black rough neck,peach throat, ect)it wont be a baby,it would be about 14 inches long,but there all friendly,i held them all,lol..anyway..
i decided im gonna build a cage..
with melimene.
6 feet long,3 feet deep,4 feet high..
i think this is a good size that will last a monitor a good while,
im not the best at building though,
so im getting the wood pre cut,and my uncle will help me with the rest..i went to reno depot today..melimene is a decent price,
i saw the 100% clear silicone i need,i saw the tracks for the glass sliding doors,i saw the vents(im putting 2,near the top of the cage on the inside)i saw it all,and i can build a nice big cage for around 100$..
but what i wanna know is..
1:how thick should the glass be?
2:i’ve noticed that people say heating pads are useless,so i can get 2 lamps,put them ontop of the cage,1 with a black or red light,and one with a high watt,reg heat light,leave both on in the day,and turn off the white one at night..
3:how far from the light should the basking spot be?i was gonna put logs leading up to a platform or something,
thats pretty much it,
any building advice would be good,
let me know

04/15/04  5:48pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61001

i forgot, how should i do the nails/screws?
should i use nails or screws?and from what i know im supose to pre drill the holes,then screw in the screws?
let me know please

04/15/04  5:54pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

glass i would use 1/4". That cage will last your monitor until like 3ft. Make sure the lights if inside the cage have a bulb guard and if outside the metal mesh is a good quality. The 2 light idea is a good one, but instead of a Black/blue/red get a CHE they last like 5 times longer. And for the white light use a HALOGEN light you get at the hardware store. It really doesn’t matter the distance just make sure the surface temp is around 140. I would use slate or bricks for the basking area as they absorb heat well. The screws should definately be pre drilled. Use screws. Also before screwing them in, use liquid nails to attach the pieces of wood to prevent slippage. For the melamine use 3/4" or 1" thick. If the monitor you choos likes humidity over 60% then use 3/4" plywood treated with some water based polyurethane.

04/15/04  6:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61005

Hey Iceman,

I just built a cage a few months ago out of melamine boards. Pre-drill the holes then screw the screws in, else you may split the board. As far as the silcone is...I called up DAP and they said the silcone is not meant to be used for reptiles, to use their aquarium silicone. I was always under the impression of once silicone dries its ok, but according to DAP, they don’t recommend it. Plus alot of the silicone these days have chemical in it to fight fungus and stuff.

I been using quarter inch plexi for my water with no problems, but its all scratched up now. If you use glass I would get quarter inch because it will be less likely to accidently break.

Also I sealed all unfinished edges with aquarium sealant because of the humidity I need to maintain.

PE

04/15/04  6:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 61014

uhh,as for the light thing,dont they need a certian kind of light?that you get at pet stores?
and what the heck is liquid nails?i’ve never heard of it(i live in canada,lol)

04/15/04  6:38pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61024

The CHE you can buy at most good pet stores, i would get like a 100-150 watt. That will set up a nice temp gradient. then a HALOGEN 20-40 watt, you can buy halogens at most hardware stores. liquid nails is an adhesive that is VERY good. if you can’t find it just use a high quality wood glue instead.

04/15/04  7:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 61037

well the cage i wanna build will be
6 feet long-3 feet deep-4 feet high
im just wondering if i should get a higher watt light bulb since the top will be so high from the ground?
now im still not sure what monitor to get..
i want to spend up to maybe 200-250 on just the monitor alone..heres whats available at the price i can get
savannah-50$
nile-125$
mangrove-around 200$(not sure)
peach throat-250$
water-200$

i’ve read everything about all monitors,5-15 care sheets on each
does everyone think that a savannah monitor is a good beginner for a first monitor?

and also,the cage size i said,is it sure that i need that hight for a savannah if i get one?
i know if i get a mangrove or something i’ll need the 4 foot hight..
hmm,for a savannah,whats a good type of cage?
more length and depth?
like 7 feet long-4 feet deep,and 3 feet high?
let me know whats good sizes for all the monitors i said above please..

04/15/04  7:34pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61054

since it will be so high, just raise the basking spot. put like 1’ substrate and an elevated basking spot.

04/15/04  7:53pm
Sorry, No Replies

Rich23
View Profile

if you got two or more feet right on top just so he cant burn him self and the glass i think it comes only in one size

04/15/04  8:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: Rich23   In reference to Message Id: 61078

yeah i’d have to make the litter dam higher if i wanted to put a foot of substrate,what if i make the lower litter dam 12 inches is stead of 6,and make the top panel 4 inches?or i can keep it at 6 inches..and make the bottom one at 12 inches,i think that would work..
and also,im trying to figure out what i can do to make a higher basking spot,the basking spot should be at least 2 feet away from the light ontop?(the light will be outside the cage,i will have steel mesh ontop for the lighting)
another thing,like i asked before,
if i decide to get a savannah,should i make more long then tall the cage?
and i guess if i get either the peach throat,water,or nile,i will make it taller..
let me know whats the good size cages for all these monitors..

04/15/04  9:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61145

ok,after reading in total..
almost 15 care sheets of almost every monitor,even though at the pet shop they seemed to hide alot,(thats why i dont like leopord geckos)
i may get a savannah monitor..
and after months and months of raising a savannah monitor,and saving money,and building more cages,(a few months from now,lol)
i will get maybe a rough neck,or something similar..
but now what i wanna know is,they have babys all the same size at the pet shop..would it be possible to get 2 savannah monitors?and put them in the same cage?(6 feet long-3 feet high-3 feet deep)
i will make sure i have a few hiding spots on both sides of the cage,
trust me,im very creative,lol..the way i will set it up..it will be amazing,logs,fake fossel skulls(the one with horns,lol),trees,caves,branches,plateaus(spelling?)
and so on..also,they have alot of differint kinds of sand,would sand be ok?since they seem to come from desert type of places?
and at the place they have them on sand..
let me know

04/15/04  11:01pm
Sorry, No Replies

LizardKing
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61204

instead of sand i’d go with cypress mulch or orchid bark

04/15/04  11:09pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: LizardKing   In reference to Message Id: 61207

to make an elevated basking spot you can use bricks stacked on top of each other, the good thing about bricks is that they absorb the heat well so they can be 1-2 feet from lamp.

04/16/04  2:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

KAP10CAVY
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 61204

Let me get this straight, you’ve read 15 care sheets? Who wrote them? Have you done any serious research besides asking questions in this forum? Have you ordered any books? Have you found a registered herp vet in your area?
In all your reasearch you found that savannah monitors live in the desert, therefore need sand? Oh, yea, the guy at the pet store said so huh? Savannah monitors live in semi arid grasslands. As for your cage set up "IF" you did any research , you would know the Recommended inclosure is 4X8X3 and trying to decorate it will be useless, I have yet to see a monitor not rearrange his cage from digging or just running stuff over until, it’s not in his way.
If this post sounds harsh you should have seen what got deleted.

04/17/04  10:44am
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: KAP10CAVY   In reference to Message Id: 61858

OT

i wanna see what got deleted. message me.

04/17/04  10:56am
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 61863

OT

no its because that punk is an idiot..
i know that savannahs live in various areas,like you said.
i WAS gonna use dirt and cypress mulch for substrate..
anyway,its not worth arguing with losers who have nothing else better to do then argue with people who just ask simple questions

04/17/04  7:29pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 62091

OT

Iceman,

Don’t blame all of us for one persons actions. There are a few of us that are trying to help answer your questions.

I don’t agree with Kap making those remarks, so don’t do what Kap did to you and judge all of us on someone elses comments.

PE

04/17/04  8:33pm
Sorry, No Replies

ICEMAN
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 62107

OT

actually i wasnt talking about you guys..(pe,roachy,and so on) sorry if it seemed that way,but you have to admit that i didnt deserve the remarks he made..man,i thought i found a good new message board,i love talking on forums about my snakes,and soon to get snakes..if im gonna keep posting stuff,and im gonna keep getting these stupid answers from kap10cavy then its not worth it to post here..we’ll see what happens..
anyway,pythons and boas are my thing,
i dont have to ask questions about snakes,for 11 years i’ve had,worked with,and took care of mmaaaaanny kinds of snakes..(my tiger retic is crawling around on my desk now )

04/17/04  9:46pm
Sorry, No Replies

WildWilly
View Profile

Message To: ICEMAN   In reference to Message Id: 62139

OT

Maybe when you design a post the webmaster will let you ban a person you dont wanna here from.

Even tho it wont solve anything.

04/18/04  9:46am
Sorry, No Replies

Savanna-man101
View Profile

Message To: WildWilly   In reference to Message Id: 62297

OT

i agree with u ICEMAN... kap10cavy u do give good info but man ur so harsh u need to relax a little more and be more friendly (no offense)

-sam

04/18/04  3:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jungle Mac
View Profile

how much was the melemine adn is that US $

04/19/04  4:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area