Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Geckoejon   AĘľ   Geckoejon   Geckoejon   Mad4You2   AĘľ   Mad4You2   Geckoejon   Geckoejon   Geckoejon   Mad4You2   Damnitbonnie  
 Member  Message

Geckoejon
View Profile

Pregnant???

does anyone know how to confirm that a mhd capra is pregnant? her skin is too dark to just hold her up to the light like i do my geckoes. also does anyone know how long they carry eggs before they lay them? i would appreciate any advice. thanks!
jonathan

08/06/07  06:56pm

AĘľ
View Profile

Message To: Geckoejon   In reference to Message Id: 1391602

Pregnant???

Quote:

does anyone know how to confirm that a mhd capra is pregnant?

Well, you see, they will normally lay eggs... thatís how you know when they are gravid. Oh, and their appetites increase substantially and their stomachs get kinda big, you know?Unlike geckos, Mountain Horned Dragons usually lay eggs in numbers up in the teens, so it canít really go unoticed... unless your completely oblivious to your animals, in which case your Mountain Horned Dragon might as well be dead and you still woudnít notice. But I digress. Hopefully you can catch my drift. Look for a fat belly. I have a gravid female now, she is maybe a month or two in, and sheís huge.

Iím not entirely positive, but Mountain Horned Dragons carry eggs two to three months on average I believe... Funny, I never paid attention. Huh.

Take care Jon,

Ryan

08/06/07  07:13pm

Geckoejon
View Profile

Message To: AĘľ   In reference to Message Id: 1391630

Pregnant???

ha ha ha you are almost funny. ALMOST
no, iím not oblivious to my mhd. she is a refugee. she was literally dropped off at my door in a 10 gallon from someone that heard i was into reptiles. i received no background on her. she was extremely dehydrated and neglected. she is my first mhd, so i have no point of comparison. iíve got her in a proper cage with humidity and she is eating a lot. what made me wonder is the fact that her belly has grown dramatically in the past two weeks. she has daily bowel movements, so i donít think she is plugged up. iíve tried to attach pictures several times, but my computer is having technical difficulties.
but i degress. thanks anyway,ryan.
does anyone have any helpful, non-sarcastic advice?
jonathan

08/06/07  09:42pm

Geckoejon
View Profile

Message To: AĘľ   In reference to Message Id: 1391630

Pregnant???

ha ha ha you are almost funny. ALMOST
no, iím not oblivious to my mhd. she is a refugee. she was literally dropped off at my door in a 10 gallon from someone that heard i was into reptiles. i received no background on her. she was extremely dehydrated and neglected. she is my first mhd, so i have no point of comparison. iíve got her in a proper cage with humidity and she is eating a lot. what made me wonder is the fact that her belly has grown dramatically in the past two weeks. she has daily bowel movements, so i donít think she is plugged up. iíve tried to attach pictures several times, but my computer is having technical difficulties.
but i degress. thanks anyway,ryan.
does anyone have any helpful, non-sarcastic advice?
jonathan

08/06/07  09:43pm

Mad4You2
View Profile

Message To: Geckoejon   In reference to Message Id: 1391958

Pregnant???

Hey Jon,

Have you had her checked for parasites? That might cause a swollen belly. I would think that if she was dehydrated and not eating well and youíve hydrated her and sheís eating a lot that might be the cause of the big belly. Do you know how long the other owner had her? What are you feeding her?

Itís my understanding that they usually gestate for around 4 months. Mine was probably about 2 months gravid when I got her, she got a big belly and you could feel the lumps of the eggs if you rubbed your finger along her side. She laid the first clutch, ate like a pig and 2 months later laid the second clutch. They have both hatched now and I have 15 babies. I had a clutch of 8 eggs and another with 7 eggs. Bruja cut down on her food right before she started window dancing and digging...she also stayed in the water dish a lot of the time.

Iíd bump up the calcium supplementation just in case she is gravid. If she was not with another MHD for more than 4 months sheís probably not gravid.

If you havenít had a parasite check, Iíd probably be inclined to do that. I have the meds on hand so I usually give any new additions a dose as a precaution. I see you say that sheís having daily bowel movements...most of mine go every couple of days....I think Bruja picked up on frequency of bowel movements when she was almost ready to lay....do you have some soil as a substrate so she can dig a nest if she wants?

Good luck with her....Angie

08/07/07  12:02am

AĘľ
View Profile

Message To: Mad4You2   In reference to Message Id: 1392057

Pregnant???

Angie,

Females donít need to be with males for them to lay eggs. They just wonít be fertile.

Jonathan,

I wasnít being sarcastic, with the exception of the first sentence. By the way, Degress isnít a word ; )

Ryan

08/07/07  12:58pm

Mad4You2
View Profile

Message To: AĘľ   In reference to Message Id: 1392629

Pregnant???

You are right Ryan...must have had my head up my you know what late last night - I was thinking fertile eggs....not just any eggs....better have some soil for digging Jon!

08/07/07  04:27pm

Geckoejon
View Profile

Pregnant???

angie,
thanks for the feedback and advice. iíve tried several times to get background on her, but i donít even know the prior ownerís name. she was literally dropped off and abandoned. i have a soft spot for adopting critters. all that i currently have are adopted
i was wondering if it is just a healthy belly, but it is quite swollen. she was dosed for parasites 3 times when i first got her, so i donít think thatís it. she has been digging in several spots. i do have soil, but she seems to prefer the coconut bark to dig in. she has the proper lighting and i have increased the calcium since she started looking swollen. the first couple of days i had her she ate earthworms. now she wonít even touch them. she will eat 10-15 crix, but wonít touch worms anymore. i think she was starving when i first got her and that is the only reason she ate the worms. i tried a couple weeks ago to hold out and only offer worms because i know they are better for her. on day 3 without eating a worm, i offered crix and she promptly ate a bunch.
iíve been doing all i know of to do for the little bug-eyed bugger. thanks again for the advice.
congrats on your baby mhdís. Iíve seen your pics. anyway, take care.
jonathan

08/07/07  05:07pm

Geckoejon
View Profile

Pregnant???

angie,
thanks for the feedback and advice. iíve tried several times to get background on her, but i donít even know the prior ownerís name. she was literally dropped off and abandoned. i have a soft spot for adopting critters. all that i currently have are adopted
i was wondering if it is just a healthy belly, but it is quite swollen. she was dosed for parasites 3 times when i first got her, so i donít think thatís it. she has been digging in several spots. i do have soil, but she seems to prefer the coconut bark to dig in. she has the proper lighting and i have increased the calcium since she started looking swollen. the first couple of days i had her she ate earthworms. now she wonít even touch them. she will eat 10-15 crix, but wonít touch worms anymore. i think she was starving when i first got her and that is the only reason she ate the worms. i tried a couple weeks ago to hold out and only offer worms because i know they are better for her. on day 3 without eating a worm, i offered crix and she promptly ate a bunch.
iíve been doing all i know of to do for the little bug-eyed bugger. thanks again for the advice.
jonathan

08/07/07  05:09pm

Geckoejon
View Profile

Pregnant???

angie,
jonathan

08/07/07  05:10pm

Mad4You2
View Profile

Message To: Geckoejon   In reference to Message Id: 1393003

Pregnant???

Hey Jonathan,

Iíd keep letting her eat the crickets and keep dusting them every meal. Marcia and Bonnie have mentioned a liquid calcium supplement - I think itís Solar Drops....if youíre concerned that she might need more calcium you might try something like that. Do you have UVB on her? (if you already covered that I apologize) You might also try letting her get some natural sunshine in a mesh cage or just take her out with you. Mine will just hang out on my arm and look around if I take them outside.

I kept bed a beast and coconut bark in the enclosure where Bruja laid both her clutches. I piled it deeper in a corner and put a rock like shelf on the soil and rested the other end on the back of the enclosure so it was like a cave. She laid in the cave against the glass so I could watch the eggs come out through the glass and watch her pack them in...that was so cool. In the morning she had even scattered bark over the site so you wouldnít even know she had dug there. When she stated window dancing again I made the cave in another corner and she laid there. That spot had more coconut bark in it than the other but it didnít seem to make a difference to her.

Good luck with her.....Angie

08/07/07  11:10pm

Damnitbonnie
View Profile

Message To: Mad4You2   In reference to Message Id: 1393647

Pregnant???

If she is digging she is more than likely getting ready to lay eggs. Continue with extra calcium after she lays. She will probably lay again in 2 months.

The Solar Drops are luquid UVB. The liquid calcium is from Walgreens. Itís called Calcionate Syrup. I had to have it ordered but it only costs (roughly) $20 for 16 ounces. Seeing as how I only use a couple drops once a week (as a supplement to dusting) it will last forever. Or untill it expires anyway.

Have some deli cups with pearlite handy and keep us posted.

Bonnie

08/08/07  09:31am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area