Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Mattsass   Gottee guy   Kusuku   Mattsass   Dragon_noob86   Mattsass   Mattsass   Nellie   Jessesprinkle  
 Member  Message

Mattsass
View Profile

Sudan plated lizard food question

i just wanted to know how much they ate and what a good veggies to meat ratio was before i got it. im still putting together its tank right now and it probably wont be another month before i actually buy the lizard but i want to make sure i got everything covered

11/19/07  03:00am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Mattsass   In reference to Message Id: 1519473

i feed mine 5 crickets a day and a plate of fruits(and veggies) like apples,grapes,peaches,pears,etc.
i also feed mine anchovies,minnows,guppies,sardines,baby blue crabs,and fiddler crabs on occasion.feed more meat than veggies though

11/19/07  08:32am

Kusuku
View Profile

Message To: Mattsass   In reference to Message Id: 1519473

My Sudan plateds seem to prefer insects to veggies, but I try to give them a 60% insect/40% veggie/fruit balance. Basically, they eat pretty much anything. Mine love meal worms (particularly, if you release them into the substrate so the lizards can dig for them). Crickets are great for dusting in vitamin supplements, before feeding. They also like soft fruits, cucumber and tomato. A food I find mine like (but no-one else seems to mention) is scrambled egg (just egg and milk, of course - hold the salt and pepper!). Mark

11/19/07  08:38am

Mattsass
View Profile

Message To: Kusuku   In reference to Message Id: 1519574

60% to 40% then ok thanks for all the info

11/19/07  05:47pm

Dragon_noob86
View Profile

Message To: Mattsass   In reference to Message Id: 1520041

when it comes to veggies i feed squash, strawberry, apple, kale, collards, and pineapple. he really loves strawberry, and will readily eat squash, but i have to mix something sweeter like pineapple, apple, or strawberry with the greens.

for meat i feed various dogfood flavors, pedigree for the older dogs kuz its got nutrients others dont, sardines, tuna, catfish, salmon, mice, crickets, mealies, supers, and when i have it, turkey...

11/20/07  08:19am

Mattsass
View Profile

Message To: Dragon_noob86   In reference to Message Id: 1520796

yeah i was wondering if they ate dog food

11/20/07  04:26pm

Mattsass
View Profile

Message To: Dragon_noob86   In reference to Message Id: 1520796

actually i would like to know what kinds of food to stay away from feeding the plated?

11/21/07  01:25am

Nellie
View Profile

Message To: Mattsass   In reference to Message Id: 1521735

Hi, My plated loves applesauce, and Banana’s, ORGANIC! I think he can tell the difference, he’ll eat the organic ones right away and smell the other and pass it for a while. weird HUH? I have fed mine wet can dog food he likes it. But only when I’m low on his food. (I’m just not sure on what the heck is in the dog food these days.) I live 30 minutes from the pet store so I try and raise cricket’s and keep organic baby food available, I have a gecko too. so Crickets are a necessity here. I’m not sure what really Not to give your plated. My guy also LOVES earthworms, very easy to get, out side under a rock or something. Oh I probly wouldn’t feed mine pink’s from out side, other then he pet store’s, germs and all! My granddaughter found a mouse outside that got ran over by the lawnmower, and she poked it and it bad babies, she dug them out and brought them in to me! ya gross child, I just thought well maybe not to feed it to my lizard, it could be a diseased animal.
thats all I have
good luck
Danielle

my cage has changed since this pic. But it shows the size.

11/24/07  11:51am

Jessesprinkle
View Profile

Message To: Nellie   In reference to Message Id: 1524748

I just got a sudan plated lizard this week. I am very excited about this. I have spent some time in africa so that makes me happy to have an african lizard. I go to Uganda, but i have been minutes from sudan. I fed it some star fruit this morning for a christmas present. I hope the lizard loves it. Thanks for your input. Hopefully it will enjoy it’s new home.

Sincerely,
Jesse

12/25/09  11:29am

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area