Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons Forum

Wrestler220   Wrestler220   Noangel   Guy   Roachey56   Diamondpython   BoaBabe448  
 Member  Message

Wrestler220
View Profile

Jungle Carpet won’t eat!! Please help!

I recently got a neonate Jungle Carpet (3 weeks ago this Saturday). He, (maybe she) refuses to eat! We have tried live pinkies, frozen & thawed pinkies (different sizes), in its cage, in a separate feeding enclosure and the latest attempt has been a live fuzzie. He seemed more interested in the fuzzie than anything else. But, still no luck. I think eh is starting to look thinner. We have been able to keep the temperature in his cage right but the humidity has been a problem. Highest has been about 45% and the lowest around 38-30%. I have now covered half of the screen top with saran wrap to try and raise the humidity. Enclosure is a 10gal tank with a screen top. Exo-tera "Jungle Earth" substrate. 60watt daylight bulb left on during the day for up to 12hours. Small heat pad under the tank (left on at all times). Both the light and the heat pad are on the same side of tank for dual climates inside the tank. Two synthetic plants stuck to inside wall of tank for climbing and basking. And a flexible sythetic vine. Do have ANY suggestions for feeding? What do I do? I’m beginning to worry!

03/04/04  7:51pm
Sorry, No Replies

Wrestler220
View Profile

Message To: Wrestler220   In reference to Message Id: 42037

btt...maybe this thing is working now...?

03/05/04  11:47pm
Sorry, No Replies

Noangel
View Profile

Message To: Wrestler220   In reference to Message Id: 42544

Hi Wrestler...

It sounds like you have good grasp on the enclosure details...
Here are some things that either we have tried or our fellow herp club members have tried that worked....

Place a small branch in the feed box (or even cage, at this point you just want them to eat and aren’t as worried about developing bad feed habits YET)...these guys normally prefer to feed from a "perch", it gives them a feeling of safety while feeding even if you are trying frozen thawed... although my baby jungle and irian jaya carpets both only responded to movement of a white fuzzy when they fed... if trying f/t then try the "wiggle" from a set of tongs thing...

On very young carpets some of our members have had luck with "braining" a pinkie... personally, I couldn’t do it but my husband did and our baby didn’t go for it... take a pre-killed or f/t pinkie and open the forehead with a razor, this hieghtens the scent and sometimes sparks your snakes enthusiasm to eat (not my choice I gotta tell ya)

Put your baby and his/her food item in a small paper bag... give it peace and quiet for 30 to 60 minutes and check in... sometimes that works....

Try dipping your food item in chicken broth... this worked for some.

There are other alternatives... a bit more drastic... try the above first. The following are really last ditch efforts to save a snake.
Others we have used on different health problem rescues we have gotten have been force feeding a whole food item, tube feeding with a protien/nutrient liquid food supplement and the pinkie pump(my very, very last resort, hubby does that one)

Please let us know how it’s going.....

03/06/04  1:13am
Sorry, No Replies

Guy
View Profile

Message To: Noangel   In reference to Message Id: 42580

baby jungle carpets usually will refuse pinky mice. try hoppers or fuzzies.

08/25/04  1:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Roachey56
View Profile

if your humidity is to low take away the overhead heat lamp, that is why the humidity will be low. As long as your UTH provides proper temps (surface temp on hot side, air temp on cool side) the heat lamp is not necessary. Use a digital thermometer with probe to see if the temps are fine w/o the lamp.

08/25/04  6:39pm
Sorry, No Replies

Diamondpython
View Profile

how big is the python maybe try a hopper or small mouse my diamond python is 7 months old and will only take small adults to medium adults anything smaller she won’t take. try freshly killed or f/t wiggle it around and i find some people get them angry and tap the mouse in the face of the python and they get angry and strike at the mouse. also you can make out the dead mouse is still alive by using tongs and holding in by the neck with the tongs and making the mouse run around on the ground that will trigger a responses from your python. also you can try a live small mouse. i just got my diamond switched to dead food was hard i have to wiggle the mouse very fast before she’ll strike it. also try droping the mouse right in front of the python that sometimes gets them to grab it. and also if your python won’t take it leave the dead mouse there over night you might get lucky and come out next morning to find it gone. jungle carpet pythons love to climb most won’t even leave there branche most will even eat on there branche so i surguest you put a branche that your python can climb on.

08/25/04  11:16pm
Sorry, No Replies

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Diamondpython   In reference to Message Id: 128914

somebody read the constrictors unlimited thread I posted in the Ball python forum and reply to it...I am desperate

08/25/04  11:21pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Pythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area