Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Rat Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

COrn MANn Ny   SCSnakeman   Doug89   Robeltito   Bayou Beasts   John Doe   JamesD   SCSnakeman   JamesD   Shokwav   Ervin   Bayou Beasts   Ervin   Bayou Beasts   Ervin   Ervin   Bayou Beasts   Beto   Slinky0803   Bayou Beasts   Slinky0803   Bayou Beasts   Jen80   LoriBella   Dorrox   Kizuki   LeucisticTy   HeRpLoViNgIrL   Rat Snake   Trybalserpent  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

COrn MANn Ny
View Profile

Leucistic texas rat snakes

Im thinking about getting a leucistic texas rat snake but i dont know how big they get , what size tank they need and all their other requiremetns.HELP ME PLZ

03/03/05  03:52pm

SCSnakeman
View Profile

Message To: COrn   In reference to Message Id: 264024

An adult Leucistic I saw at the last herp show I was at was about 4 to 5 feet long. Õ have a 5 month ols leucistic right now, and he’s about 20 inches. They grow like a corn snake. They are very pretty snakes.

03/03/05  07:23pm

Doug89
View Profile

Message To: SCSnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 264228

I also decided to get a Leucistic Texas rat snake. It will be arriving in a few days. They can reach sizes in the upwards of 6 feet but youve got to remember that they are no ball python in terms of width. They stay pretty thin. I got her a 2 foot by 14" by 14" enclosure. So i can put some branches in there (i think they like to climb). They can be aggressive in fact ytexas rat sankes have gotten the title of "the most aggressive rat snake" and the leucistic variant of these tends to be even more aggressive. But remember its like a pitbull, they can be a bad breed but as long as they are handled daily and treated with respect they wont bite very often. Overall a good snake to get, can be taken care of just like a corn snake.

03/05/05  05:19pm

Robeltito
View Profile

Message To: Doug89   In reference to Message Id: 265734

That is not true. As an owner of a leucistic texas rat snake, I’l have to say they’re actually pretty sweet. It took me about 3 days to get mine to trust me. Also, they’re fun to watch because they’re very active even during the day. I recomend this little snake.

03/11/05  08:20pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Robeltito   In reference to Message Id: 271801

Getting one as a youngster you will be able to calm them down. Ours is about 5.5 feet and a sweet heart.

Tony

03/11/05  10:26pm

John Doe
View Profile

Message To: SCSnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 264228

hey guys if you have pics of the Leucistic texas rat snake plz post them

03/19/05  06:56am

JamesD
View Profile

Message To: COrn   In reference to Message Id: 264024

We’ve got a 4.5 foot leucistic texas rat snake, and he’s great. He’s never struck at me, although he’ll get a little mad when i pull him from places he’s not supposed to be (ie, heater). Make sure you watch them when they’re out, because they have a tendancy to go toward dark places (at least slithers does). A lot of times he finds his way to a blanket and curls up in there for a nap. He’s very handleable and easy to take care of. Right now we’ve got him in a 25x18x18 tank with reptibark as the bedding (fir bark). He eats 2 large mice once a week. Make sure to have a tank tall enough with something for him to climb on because they love to climb on stuff. Good luck!

03/24/05  01:27pm

SCSnakeman
View Profile

Message To: JamesD   In reference to Message Id: 285227

Here is Frosty. He is about 18 inches long.

03/24/05  07:31pm

JamesD
View Profile

Message To: SCSnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 285620

They’re the most difficult things to try to measure, don’t you think? Every time i try to measure slithers he get all antsy and won’t sit still!

03/24/05  08:24pm

Shokwav
View Profile

Message To: JamesD   In reference to Message Id: 285672

We have 2 luecistic rat snakes. Angel is our male and he is 5’6" and Crystal is our newest addition and she is roughly 19". Both are easily handled and have never shown agression towards anyone in the family. I’ve heard they can be very agressive but personally I haven’t come across one that is. If startled Angel will pull back in a stike pose and rattle his tail but once he settles down he is gentle as a kitten. He is in a 32"x 18"x 18" tank. We use reptibark as a substrate and have 2 lava rocks in the tank he uses to help his shed. He is fond of water and likes to soak so we have large water bowl for him. They do like to climb and we have a forked branch that runs the length of the tank. We have an under tank heater on one side and his hide-a-box on the other side located below the climbing branch. Crystals’ tank is set up the same way but her tank is half the size.

03/26/05  02:05pm

Ervin
View Profile

Message To: JamesD   In reference to Message Id: 285672

The best way to measure your snake is to measure the shedded skin.

05/16/05  06:25pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Ervin   In reference to Message Id: 344236

Wrong!! When a snake sheds the skin stretches. so you can get a 18 inch shed of of a 12 inch snake. I would say that is not acurate. The easiest way we found is to use a string and at least two people that way you can run the string down the entire length of the body and then measure your marks to get an acurate measurement.

Tony

05/20/05  11:36pm

Ervin
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 348756

actually you are wrong because one of my snakes just shed itís skin and I measured him with a string and the measurments were the same so if you are careful and dont stretch the skin you will get an acurate measurement. So Bayou Beasts you are Wrong!!!

06/07/05  10:12am

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Ervin   In reference to Message Id: 364626

What ever you say buddy. Listen and see if you understand. Now the shed skin covers the scale and folds in between each scale. Now when it comes of the snake the skin and scale area is expanded to a flat surface, so you gain surface area, it would be like taking your snake and pulling it so you can see the skin and scale at the same time. This alone means the shed is longer than the snake if only by one inch, now on top of this the snake hooks the shed onto something in order to shed his skin, and then pulls his/her body through the old skin, this also stretches the shed. Now buddy before you try to call me out on something try to use your head so you donít look like an idiot.

Tony

06/08/05  01:44am

Ervin
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 365517

Ok if all that crap may be true but the measurement is still very acurate and it is a good way to measure your snake if you donít have someone to help you. and just because when you look in the mirror you see an idiot you donít need to call me one.

06/08/05  12:06pm

Ervin
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 365517

Ok all that crap may be true but the measurement is still very acurate and it is a good way to measure your snake if you donít have someone to help you. and just because when you look in the mirror you see an idiot you donít need to call me one.

06/08/05  12:07pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Ervin   In reference to Message Id: 365726

LOL keep measuring your snake buddy. My advice is to get someone to give you a hand because my 6 foot 8.5 inch corn just recently shed and the shed skin is well over 7 feet long. That is why NO measurements can be added to record books by any other means than measuring the animal it self. Skins from dead animals can be stretched and the shed skins are stretched. All I am saying is before you try to call someone out make sure you have correct info.

Tony

06/08/05  11:01pm

Beto
View Profile

Message To: COrn MANn Ny   In reference to Message Id: 264024

hey am about to get one but my mom says that it canít be to big so plz help me see how big can they get , i have a pasion for snakes and i know everysnake but this one so plz help.

07/07/05  03:14pm

Slinky0803
View Profile

Message To: Beto   In reference to Message Id: 393725

Hi guys. Iím new to the site and happened upon it when looking up info on the leucistic rat snakes.I am currently shopping for that "perfect" snake. he trouble is I am a little scared cuz I had a scarlet king snake hatchling that was not very nice. :-( I originally was looking for something rather small, young, friendly, with really pretty colors. However a bigger thin snake is definetly an option I just donít want a 10 ft 12" wide snake lol. So I saw a yearling leucistic and was in awe....however he hasnít been handled much and was skittish and giving warning bites to the handler. I have heard that a lot of rat snakes and king snakes are mean. Iíd really like a snake that will eventually be mellow and enjoy my company. I know I know everyone says I should get a ball python.....however as gorgeous as they are they are still plain ol brown and so common. I was also looking at albino lil baby rat snakes...anyhoo.....if Someone could please help me out and give me more info on leucistics I would really appreciate it :-D oh...and if someone has a suggestion of another species that may interest me Iíd like that too.......feel free to either post or e-mail me at thankyou JEss

07/22/05  07:48pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Slinky0803   In reference to Message Id: 412297

AHH The world of colubrids. There are so may colors, sizes and temperaments to choose from. My suggestion would be a corn snake for a first, Kings, milks, and other rats can be very temperamental (the key word being mental) The youngsters of ever species from snakes-lizards-to even some mammals have the typical attitude of itís going to eat me which tends to make them very defensive. My advice is to get the snake you really have your heart AND have done the proper research on then just have patience and spend the time with that snake, I think you will find that any snake can be the one in your mind "The Perfect Snake". You may get bit but it doesnít hurt from a baby, just donít pull away as you can literally rip the teeth from your snakes mouth, the animal will learn that you mean it no harm and will calm down with time and patience. Good luck entering the hobby and I hope you will be a responsible keeper.

Bayou Beasts
Bayou Beasts Reptile Rescue
Tony

07/24/05  08:19pm

Slinky0803
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 414508

thank you for your help and suggestions...I think I may put off getting a snake for a bit just to be sure that I do the right research and am ready to make that commitment. Thank you sooo much!

07/24/05  08:51pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Slinky0803   In reference to Message Id: 414546

N/P we are here to assist in making a right choice, and to help in anyway after the choice has been made.

Tony

07/25/05  05:18pm

Jen80
View Profile

Message To: COrn MANn Ny   In reference to Message Id: 264024

We have a full grown female adult texas leucistic rat snake (about 5 ft. long) that we are trying to sale. We have to down size our pet family due to a new baby. We will sell her cage, light, and snake for $250.00. We paid $200.00 for just the snake. She is beautiful. If you are interested message me back.

08/16/05  02:58pm

LoriBella
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 415588

I am a first time snake owner and I got my, bubbles, for Christmas. He has had problems with digestion since I got him. At first he was throwing up everything I gave him, now he seems to be constipated as I can see a lot of dark areas through out his whole body. I have soaked him and a pet store told me I may need to treat him for worms. Is this common for this type of snake? Also, What should I be feeding him and how often. I have tried just about everything to see what works best for him. He is about 20 inches long. Iíve fed him Pinkies in the past and gave him a small mouse last week. The mouse came out as a black blob with legs. Iím not sure which end it came from. Also, he has not shed him skin yet and has been acting really weird the past two days. His eyes are not glassy, but he has been laying under the heat lamp alot more then usual and has been very active trying to escape his cage. Are these symptoms for shedding? Should I be worried that he has not shed in almost 2 months? Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I have been having such a hard time finding any information about this type of snake and I am so excited to have finally found someone who knows what Sammy is. Every pet store I have gone to didnít know what type of snake he even was. I appreciate all of your time and help.
Sincerely,
Lori

02/05/07  09:47pm

Dorrox
View Profile

Message To: LoriBella   In reference to Message Id: 1162479

LoriBella

Your post is kind of old so I hope you got the help you needed. If not it sounds like he needs more heat. I assume you are useing an Under the Tank Heater, if not GET ONE. He may be searching for the nessesary heat and cant completely digest his food with out it. If you do have one get a digital thermometer with a wired probe and put the probe into his warmest hide.

It should be close to 82-85 deg, if lower he will not digest well.

04/16/07  06:52pm

Kizuki
View Profile

Message To: Dorrox   In reference to Message Id: 1249252

Hi everyone! I just recently purchased a Leucistic texas ratsnake myself, and Iím having slight aggression issues. When we saw him at the petstore, we asked to handle him, and I looked him over to check for any signs of injury or bad health(all that I know anyway) and he seemed to be in perfect health. He was very docile, active and curious, but never really seemed nervous and never offered to bite. I decided to take him home, as we were already looking to add to our growing snake family, and took him straight home, opened the box he was transported in... and was promptly bitten! It didnít hurt much at all, barely drew a drop of blood, and just surprised me. I decided he was nervous from the trip, so I placed him box and all into his new home(a 33gal aquarium with a locking mesh lid). I left him alone for a week as I have read on many occasion is a good settling in period. After a week I decided to see if he had calmed, so I gently opened his cage, reached in smoothly so as not to startle him, and he bit me again. I have tried numorous times, and he stays aggressive. I will never give up on him, but I would like to be able to handle him easily(without leather gloves, which he strangely seems to like btw), and would appreciate some advice. He is 24-28in long, and is a very good eater. Sorry for the long post guys! Thanks!

07/10/07  03:45am

LeucisticTy
View Profile

Message To: Kizuki   In reference to Message Id: 1352740

Hey your post is kinda old so I hope this helps, i have a lucy thats about 5 months old, probably 20-24 inches long, iíve also helped tame my friends 4 foot ball python and his 5 ft beaded king snake, the trick is if the go to bite you and after they release if your not letting your hand stay in the tank and act as if nothing is gonna happen it wonít settle down, these are very visually acute snakes so if she bites you and you draw back then try a few days later she will just assume that your the enemy and the only way to keep you away is to strike, make sure you leave your hand in the tank even if she bites you, she will eventually calm down and get used to your hand being a friendly presence hopefully, hope this helped

07/13/07  01:38am

HeRpLoViNgIrL
View Profile

Message To: LeucisticTy   In reference to Message Id: 1356597

Leucistic Texas Rat Snakes are MEAN!!! I had a baby one and I was too scared to hold it because it did nothing but strike and bite. It finally died...which I was heartbroken but I couldnt do anything with him because he was a mean butthole! They get pretty big...all rat snakes get between 5 and 8 feet long. They are slender snakes though. I tried catching one that was 7 feet long and well, the snake won. He swung up and bit me so I just left him alone. But you definately need to be experienced to keep a leucistic rat snake. I made the mistake of spending $79.01 on a snake I couldnt do anything with. So definately know about them and how aggressive they are. Anyways...Good luck!

08/11/07  12:32pm

Rat Snake
View Profile

Message To: HeRpLoViNgIrL   In reference to Message Id: 1398889

Why didnít you even attempt to tame it Mine is absolutely perfect!!!!!!!! They are the best beginner snake by far! You just have to put some effort into it! To make sure it is not mean just ask to handle it before you buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08/13/07  02:33pm

Trybalserpent
View Profile

Message To: Rat Snake   In reference to Message Id: 1401646

I would have to agree, ratsnakes are the best beginner snake! Leucistics are just a little more aggresive. Thatís just going to teach you the proper way to deal with a bite, because they do it more readily. That will just open the doors to new snake options in the future. No giving up on the snake you have chosen to give a home.

08/19/07  11:16am

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Rat Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area