Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

FrogGirl09   Versicolor   FrogGirl09   Diabolix   Weeble   Weeble   Diabolix   FrogGirl09   FrogGirl09   Weeble  
 Member  Message

FrogGirl09
View Profile

Help

Just found a salamder I think.. I found it under a log. It is black with a yellow-brown stripe down its back.. I need help. I have it in a bowl I now that i will have to tranfer it but I have it moist cool and lots of moss and lag peices. What can I do for it.

10/03/04  6:32pm

Versicolor
View Profile

Message To: FrogGirl09   In reference to Message Id: 154217

Help

Let him go.

10/04/04  4:22pm

FrogGirl09
View Profile

Message To: Versicolor   In reference to Message Id: 154734

Help

NO
Why

10/04/04  6:14pm

Diabolix
View Profile

Message To: FrogGirl09   In reference to Message Id: 154824

Help

Well its best to let the newt go its not used to living and feeding in captivety. He probably only eat live food and this is kinda hard to maintain. Maybe this is an endangered species so its forbidden to keep them.

If you like newts so much consider getting fire bellied newts or something from a petstore

10/08/04  3:37am

Weeble
View Profile

Message To: Diabolix   In reference to Message Id: 157222

Help

I agree with Versicolor and Diabolix. If you are interested in having a salamander for a companion (and they are definitely more like a houseguest than a pet) that is wonderful. But a captive bred animal will fare much better than a wild caught one. Captive bred animals are far less likely to carry disease and parasites into your home. And, more importantly, there is a marked decline in amphibian species all around the world. These are not objects to be found and collected. Wild amphibian populations really need to be preserved. And Diabolix is right. There are strict regulations concerning the ownership of certain species. There could be very steep fines involved. And besides, you are not even certain what kind of salamander you have. How can you expect to provide it with proper care? I am not trying to make any personal attacks. The fact that you posted here in an attempt to determine what you have shows that you are trying to do the best you can to care for this animal. But if you relly want what is best for him or her, let him go. Take him back to where you found him and release him. Then, look into what amphibian dealers are available in your area. Find out if there are any vets nearby that are capable of caring for amphibians. Then do as much research as possible until you find out which particular animal is right for you. I think that you are likely a very responsible pet owner. Again, i am encouraged that you came to this site for help. But i really think that you need to reconsider keeping this wild animal. He IS a wild animal, and will never be as happy as a captive as he was in the wild. PLEASE, for his sake, consider letting him go.

10/08/04  1:44pm

Weeble
View Profile

Message To: Weeble   In reference to Message Id: 157403

This is worse than i thought....

FrogGirl09, i have seen on other forums that you have no intention of letting this salamander go. All right. That is definitely not what is best for Spikey (as i have seen you call him) but if you insist on removing him from the wild, you MUST do some research and find out exactly what type he is. I have seen it suggested to you to feed him plant matter, and i have also seen suggestions that you give him a semi-aquatic set up. Terrestrial salamanders can drown very easily. They are not good swimmers at all. They need water for soaking in, but it must be SHALLOW. If, on the other hand, it is an aquatic salamander (as i doubt, for you had it for several days without a tank) then its needs are entirely different from that of the terrestrial salamanders. As for feeding the salamander plant matter... DEFINITELY NOT. Salamanders are carnivorous--meat eaters. They eat crickets and mealworms (in moderation) and earthworms, and a variety of other insects. They will not eat, and should not be offered, a diet of plants and vegetables. Furthermore, i have read that you have at least one toad. And that the toad lives in only a three gallon tank. And that you brag about how you have become disinterested with her and only look at her "for about five minutes a day." A salamander (if that is truly what you have found) needs a minimum of a ten gallon tank. You have already stated in another forum that you are not allowed to purchase a ten gallon tank. If you are going to keep this animal (this WILD animal) you need to provide the best care possible for it. This means providing an adequate amount of space. The correct substrate. The correct food and lighting and temperature. Again, these are living creatures. They are not collectables to watch and then ignore when your fancy is taken by something else. You are doing Spikey a grave disservice by removing him from the wild, and if you do not find out what he is and the best way to care for him, you are sentencing him to a life that is short and miserable. Think over this matter very carefully. Hopefully, you will understand what the best course of action is.

10/08/04  7:43pm

Diabolix
View Profile

Message To: Weeble   In reference to Message Id: 157645

I agree on the stories of weeble. Newts and salamanders need a lot of attention. If its a aquatic species you need to clean 1/3 of you tank every week and a complete tank clean every month. And this is for a 15 gallon tank,smaller tanks need more cleaning.
You also need dechlorifier solution.
If these things are not done your salamander will surely die of a painfull death.

10/09/04  9:20am

FrogGirl09
View Profile

Message To: Diabolix   In reference to Message Id: 157839

That was very harsh to say to me, Weeble. oh ya i have always wanted a toad if you talk to any one on that sit eyou will find that i love her. i care very much if i have questions than i ask. So you had to do reasearchon me one qusetion why? i am very disappoinented in the way that you spoke to me.. as for the salamander i already let him go. thanks for all the support guys.

10/09/04  3:31pm

FrogGirl09
View Profile

Message To: FrogGirl09   In reference to Message Id: 158032

O ya one more thing i did reasearch and try and find out what kind of salamander it was. i figured out what he eats. crixs but hey i got rid of him. i am very aggervated that you researched about me. do you have a toad? i do. i love her i have wanted one since forever. i want you to ask scott14, scubafrog, froggystyle, frogboy91 and anyone else that nows me if i care about my toad...

10/09/04  3:37pm

Weeble
View Profile

Message To: FrogGirl09   In reference to Message Id: 158040

Good Job

FrogGirl09, I did not go to other forums with the intention of looking into your credibility. I can assure you that i have far better things to do with my time. And, if you will read my first post in this thread, you will see that i was certainly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I was completely prepared to believe that you were a perfectly responsible pet owner. I happened to notice your name again while i was reading another forum that i frequent, and i saw a post wherein you claim you have lost interest in your toad and hardly even look at her anymore. It was your post. I have not made any attempt to offer slander here. You were also the one to state that you have only provided her with a 3 gallon tank. And that you wanted to crowd yet another toad into that tank with your current toad. If you say that you love this toad, then i will believe you. I have no reason not to. I question some of your care techniques, but i will leave it at that. I have done no research on you, and i have no intention of asking your friends on the other forum any questions about you or your feelings for your toad. To answer your question, no, i do not have any toads. I have a salamander (which is why i am particularly concerned about their welfare). I visit other forums because i am intersted in all amphibians. Nothing more than that. I was not trying to attack you. I just had some very real concerns for the salamander that you captured. As for that salamander, if you truly let him go, then i congratulate you. You have done a wonderful thing for that animal. I know that it must have been a difficult decision, and i applaud you for being compassionate enough to do the right thing.

10/09/04  5:46pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area