Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skinks Forum

Spaceboy   RePtiLOVER   Vklake  
 Member  Message

Spaceboy
View Profile

Skink in house problem!!! Help!!

Okay people, hereís the story and I really need your expertise. For the past few months or so, Iív been noticing droppings all around my house (is carpeted). I didnít know what they were at first, but then I figured they belonged to some type of a lizard. Now, I donít know how it got into my house and donít want to find out. The thing is that Iím constanlty finding droppings and canít seem to find this lizard/skink! I think is a skink because of the pictures Iíve been seeing (typical home garden skink - long tail, black, etc.). Now, please guys...what in the world can I do to get it out of my house or catch it?! I called an "expert" in animal control and they donít even know exactly what to do and plus they charge too much money withouth guaranteeing anything. It seems that it only comes out when is dark because when I turn on the lights and wait to see anything...donít see anything. Iím afraid it might bite me at night while sleeping or do anything!
I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me!
By the way, Iím in NC in case you need to know that.

06/28/05  11:49pm

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Spaceboy   In reference to Message Id: 385345

It sounds like it could be a house gecko

07/11/05  12:41pm

Vklake
View Profile

Message To: Spaceboy   In reference to Message Id: 385345

Here are 2 ideas, most effective first. Get a sticky mousetrap that will catch the skink upon its surface and place this sticky trap in a dark place up against the wall preferably where you will not mistakenly step on it yourself. If it catches the skink, which you should check at least every 2 days, then throw outside the trap and the skink. Idea #2 put static noise on the radio or television to imitate an insect noise, lower the lights and try to see if the skink gets near the television or radio. If you can see the skink, be ready with a large towel. Cover the skink with the towel then "bag it" inside the towel quickly and completely. Take the skink still trapped in the towel far away from your doorway and leave it there. Later retrieve the towel and wash it. To prevent other entries, clear any shady plants or leaves from around your doorways because the skinks like this kind of habitat for hunting of their food, and shelter from the sun or cold weather. Donít let the autumn dead plant debris or wood piles collect near any doorways either for the same reasons.

07/20/05  07:55pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area