Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skinks Forum

Eatinmachine   Eatinmachine   Eatinmachine   Eatinmachine  
 Member  Message

Eatinmachine
View Profile

Red sided skink care

I just purchased a skink at my local reptile show (taylor michigan) and am wondering how I should care for it I already set it up in a cage but want to know what I should change. it is currently in a 1í by 2í by 1í tall it has a log to hide under and climb on another large hide a paper towel tube and a flat rock to bask on and a rock just to have a rock. he is on 3 inches of aspen and since I put him in he has dissapeared and made burrows. He has a huge automatic cat waterer it is large this makes a perfect water dish, and a humid hide. I hear they will eat veggies but I tried a few and litterally no reaction when he was out of his cage yet when I dropped in wax or meal worms he gobbled them up. What else should I do?
Thanks josh

08/15/05  10:44am

Eatinmachine
View Profile

Message To: Eatinmachine   In reference to Message Id: 442151

Red sided skink care

what veggies and fruits will they eat? will they eat bannanas what about yellow squash or zuchini?

08/15/05  01:16pm

Eatinmachine
View Profile

Message To: Eatinmachine   In reference to Message Id: 442151

Red sided skink care

sorry for all of the questions but very little good imfo on the net if you have a good care sheet post it. My new question is how can I properly find out what sex it is without probing I have read that bulkier heads means male bu tdonít have one to compare to and I didnít compare when I got it. I have also read females are easier to handle and mine was 1 the easiest to handle in of all of them. Finnally I have read this.
In males, the head, body and tail are pencil-grey above with four longitudinal dorso-lateral black stripes on the body. The body scales between the stripes are distinctly outlined in black. Some of the scales on the head are also outlined in black, giving the impression of black markings on the head. Laterally, a broad black band, which also passes through the eye, separates the bright orange to reddish undersides and limbs from the grey-coloured dorsal parts. Females lack the orange undersides, although the hind legs are reddish-brown. Like in males, there are four dorso-lateral black stripes and a broader lateral black band passing through the eye. Below this black band, there is a distinct white line, passing underneath the eye in front. In females, the head and dorsal body are olive-grey with the scales outlined in black. The underside of the body is a pale grey.

I havenít checked to see if mine fits any of this.
Finnally just purchased some REp-Cal phosphorous free calcium and vitamin d3 ultra fine for all reptiles and amphibian powder for dusting the crickets (and everything else meaning wax worms and any other feeders with is it ok?) I am also starting to gut load well more like keep the crix a live by feeding them a few different kinds of fish food (pond formula, reptomin turtle food, and regular gold fish food) and yellow squash as a water source and a water bowl with gel stuff in it, and I am also keeping them on potting soil. Will this help the skink in the long run? has anyone ever heard of miner-all dust? I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance to those who answer my questions if anyone

08/16/05  10:44am

Eatinmachine
View Profile

Message To: Eatinmachine   In reference to Message Id: 443470

Red sided skink care

I just checked and mine seems to fit more female stuff but I want to know if that is even reliable.

08/18/05  08:29pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area