Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

SouthernBOY   GreySky   Rattaleo   Hummi   SouthernBOY   Trixiefrogz   SouthernBOY   Skullkeeper   Skullkeeper   Trixiefrogz   Leah123   Skullkeeper   Leah123   Skullkeeper   Leah123   Skullkeeper   Leah123   Flamingflower   Leah123   Skullkeeper   Trixiefrogz   Phoenixeternia   Phoenixeternia   Just1more  
 Member  Message

SouthernBOY
View Profile

Baby rabbits sudden death

yesterday my caught walked up with a baby rabbit. i have only had it over night. just to make sure it was ok. its been fairly active, and seemed to be in good health. i was just holding it a hour ago and i just checked on him and he was stif as a board, what could have caused this? it was a wild baby, just wondering if it could be anything to be concerned about.

06/10/09  10:36pm

GreySky
View Profile

Message To: SouthernBOY   In reference to Message Id: 2020051

How young of a baby? Very little babies need to drink their mother’s milk or replacement formula very often or they will die. If you kept it in a very hot room that could kill it as well. It could have been internally injured by a dog. Also, it could have been sick with something that you didnt know about. Those are all of the things that I could think of. Use process of elimination to find out which it was. Its hard to tell why wild animals die at times.

06/11/09  05:19am

Rattaleo
View Profile

Message To: GreySky   In reference to Message Id: 2020135

I saved a baby rabbit from a cat about a year ago (the cat hadn’t actually caught it yet), but I took it inside and put in a bin with a cardboard box in it. I put a dish with water in it and some Timothy hay.

I went to the store - checked on it, it was hiding. I cooked dinner - checked on it, it was dead.

The baby was definately old enough to not die from being away from it’s mother for a couple hours. It was running and dodging the cat.

I think I read somewhere online that they "fake death".. But this baby was dead as a doornail. It was very sad - but I also read that most of the time they just die from stress or other reasons. And it’s very, very hard to save baby rabbits. It’s also illegal I believe...

Sorry I wasn’t more help. I just wanted to let you know that it’s most likely not something you did.

06/11/09  01:07pm

Hummi
View Profile

Message To: Rattaleo   In reference to Message Id: 2020338

Baby wild rabbits scare very easily. The slightest spook in a wild baby rabbit will kill it. Sort of like a heart attack. It was nothing you did or anything you could have prevented.

06/11/09  02:33pm

SouthernBOY
View Profile

Message To: Hummi   In reference to Message Id: 2020393

ok. i meant to say " my cat walked up with" ... but i do beleive the baby was old enough to be away ,from the reserch i did on it. i was gonna release it. just wanted to make sure the cat didnt hurt it. and it was very wierd how quick it happened. running one hour and dead the next. but i tried.

06/11/09  09:41pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: SouthernBOY   In reference to Message Id: 2020637

Rabbits, especially young ones, are highly susceptible to disease. Cat saliva is toxic, it’s how they kill birds and things. they bite it, and it doesn’t bleed (so the bacteria have no chance of escaping) so it’s awfully hard to spot wounds inflicted by cats. The bite slowly spreads infection throughout the body, weakening the prey, and it dies pretty soon after the bite. that’s why cat’s "play" with their food, they’re making sure it doesn’t get away while the bacteria does it’s work. even if there was just a scratch, it wouldn’t have bled an cats are notorious for having rotten flesh embedded on the undersides of their claws. It sounds like you did everything right, but animals that have been bitten or scratched by a cat have almost no chance. I once took a bird right out of my cat’s jaws and it didn’t bleed or have any noticeable wounds. one minute it was flying happily around the cage , then when I went to open the cage only a few minutes later to let her fly out, she sudden ly dropped to the floor, her breathing slowed and stopped. it works efficiently right to the CNS. sorry. Good job for trying, though!

06/12/09  01:13pm

SouthernBOY
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2020950

thats incredible about cats, i didnt know that. i guess thats what makes them good survivors and preditors. im glad i cat cant do that to me.lol

06/12/09  06:27pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: SouthernBOY   In reference to Message Id: 2021149

The cat saliva being toxic is BS

06/13/09  07:19pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2020950

You are confused cat saliva is not toxic . All saliva even human saliva contains some bacteria . But it is not toxic . When a cat bites another animal and it is not deep enough to cause the wound to bleed , the small amount of bacteria can stay in the wound causing infection. If a wound bleeds the blood helps to wash out some of the bacteria. Same kinda thing with a puncture wound on a human. It is much more likely to become infected if it does not bleed . That is not at all the same thing as saying the saliva is toxic .

06/13/09  07:25pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2021770

I didn’t really mean "toxic" I was trying to find the right word. and I’m just repeating what the VET told me. A chemical in the saliva makes the blood clot and the saliva itself is very... germy, for lack of a better word. trust me, most cat bites are PLENTY deep enough to bleed.

06/15/09  08:50pm

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2022943

This baby bunny died from its heart. Not from cat saliva [honestly i think thats rather rediculous].

Many people find a baby bunny and want to save it so they pick it up, take it home and think it will live to be their pet.

The wild baby’s heart exploded [literaly]. I know it sounds kind of morbid, but thats what happened. They get so scared and their adrenaline is pumping so their heart is going a million miles a second till it actualy explodes.

If you ever find another baby abandoned anywhere just put cotton in its ears so it cant hear , cover it with a towel so it cant see and put it in a box or in a quiet safe place where it can calm down and regain a normal heart rate.

xoLeah

06/16/09  08:14pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2023566

Trixiefrogz was right she just worded it wrong . Leah you have no idea why this bunny died . To say it died because of its heart is nuts . None of us have any way of knowing what caused this bunny to die .It could have been many things just like Trixiefrogz suggested . We have no way of knowing . So unless you are a vet and have examined the bunny and done a necropsy on it ,I would refrain from saying you know why it had died. Your suggestion of putting cotton in its ears ,covering it with a towel and putting it in a box is ludicrous .Shows just how much you know about baby rabbit . The best thing to do is just leave any baby animal alone . Especially baby bunnies . The mother leaves the nest during the day but she is close by and will return at dusk .

06/19/09  05:39pm

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2025435

Well first off, your coming off as plain rude.

I know it could be many things but from what they said it sound like what happens 99% of the time.
Ive gone through this atleast 60 times with bunnies my neighbors find. Everytime i call my friend zach [vet!] and he says to use cotton in their ears and cover it with a towel this reduces stress wich returns normal heart rate. By the time he gets to their house the babies are dead and EVERY TIME it was from their hearts.

No one said anything about marks on this rabbit so it couldnt have been hit or bit and punctured bad. Most people know that the mother goes away and will watch and wait for the mom, she never comes, they arent just going to leave it there!

Apparently you dont understand that i can give my own reason to HELP people who find baby bunnies like this one, untill youve tried the towel and cotton dont call it "ludicrous", and the statement "Shows how much you know about baby rabbits" just makes you sound ignorant. So please dont go around insulting people who are trying to help, its not attractive.

thanks

xoLeah

06/19/09  07:32pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2025472

Leah, your the one coming off as being rude in my opinion. You keep throwing around statements like 99% of the time , and at least 60 times it was their hearts . I find this very hard to believe . Was a necropsy done on each of the dead rabbits ? If so I would like to see just one posted . When a mother rabbit leaves the babies usually they are fine on their own by that time .I would also like to see pictures of you stuffing a bunnies ears with cotton and holding a towel over the face . That is LUDICROUS ! Not to mention if you could do it ( you can’t ) it would probably cause much more stress on it than help..Just how many bunnies have you successfully rescue ? How about posting some pictures of them ?I was not trying to insult you. But your advise was less than helpful and your statements inaccurate . I hate to tell you this but calling a vet tech and getting advice over the phone for an animal the actual veterinarian has not seen, is pretty much worthless .

06/24/09  04:00pm

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2028155

He told us what to do with the rabbits, then he [vet] came to get it, as i stated, the bunnies almost always die before he gets there.

I dont exactly go around taking pictures of the dead ones, and i dont keep the ones that make it, they go into rehabil. and then are released.

Like i said before, until you have tried the cotton and a towel do not assume its "ludicrous".

Its not like im the one finding these babies. Its my neighbors and friends who think they are abandoned so they bring them in or go see if its hurt.

A man up the road let his pet rabbits go in the winter in the woods because he knew they were pregnant and didnt want them. My neighbor found one a few months later keeping warm by his dryer vent, brought it inside, called me, did the cotton and towel, and i have her still.

People have used this cotton and towel idea for other animals too. Mostly baby rabbits and deer.

Honestly you couldnt just leave me post my opinion for the member to evaluate on his/her own? This fourum is for people to seek help and to find people who have been in the same situations, not to critisize people and claim what they say isnt true without having experienced it and tried the method suggested themselves.

xoLeah

06/24/09  04:56pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2028185

"I don’t exactly go around taking pictures of the dead ones ", that made me laugh . Who asked for pictures of the dead rabbits ? Not I . I asked for you to post a necropsy report on any of the dead rabbits . The vet could have done one to determine the cause of death . Without one there is no telling what caused the death of the rabbits . If there has been so many that have died I would think that a responsible owner / breeder would want to know the cause and have a necropsy done . Again I would also like to see a picture or video of you putting cotton in the ears and a towel over the head . I do know from experience that this is virtually impossible .Yes you can place a towel over the eyes of an animal to help keep them calm while transporting them or administering med etc. Putting cotton in the ears is ridicules , it will not help and even if you could it would only add to the stress already its under . You are giving advice that you have not actually tried your self .Probably some thing you have found after Googling .Like you I can voice my opinion and feel that I should especially voice my concerns when false or potentially harmful advice is given .Would you like to explain to everyone where you came up with the percentages that you gave ? I think not .If you are going to put info as if it is fact then be able to back it up or at least state that it is just your personal opinion.You tried to criticize Trixyfrogz by posting statements that sounded like fact that was not .Now you are crying that you are being criticized .

06/25/09  05:11pm

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2028774

First i did not critisize anyone. Anywhere in my post did i say " [so and so] you are wrong!"?Who are you to say how my post "sounded"? It wasnt meant to critisize anyone.
As stated over and over again these arent pet rabbits! They are wild babies that people find around my neighborhood. There are no breeders or owners.

Your saying its impossible to put cotton balls in a rabbits ears? lol okay. I have not tried myself? I have tried this for MY PET rabbit found outside in the winter. This adivice is harmful in no way. This is what the [v e t] told me to do this do dont take it as if im just making it up.

So how about just posting your own opinion insted of critisizing others information? Use the fourum as its supposed to be used.

xoLeah

06/28/09  12:30pm

Flamingflower
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2030321

Now this is starting to get out of hand. Who knows what killed the rabbit? If someone doesn’t want to believe that what you think caused it to die is true, then that’s them. You can’t force anyone to accept your opinion, even if they are dead wrong and you know you are telling the 100% truth. I can understand that sometimes it is annoying when someone won’t accept what you believe/know to be correct. When the argument drags on, then perhaps it is best to just drop it. This is not saying that you accept the other’s opinion, but ending the conflict rather than trying to get the last word in. If anyone disagrees with this, it was my opinion. Perhaps I made a mistake myself, and will look at it later when someone points it out and realize that.

06/30/09  03:15am

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Flamingflower   In reference to Message Id: 2031368

Thank you. I wasnt trying to say my opinion was 100% correct. Im just speaking from my experiences. I was posting my opinion and method of help to be read and for the poster to decide what he/she thinks of it.

Im sorry if it sounded like i was forcing my opinion. I am also sorry for dragging out this argument. I just absolutly hate it when people cant leave opinions be and critisize them.

sorry,
xoLeah

06/30/09  08:45am

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2028185

Leah- The whole point is that you made two posts stating that the bunnies heart exploded but have no way to know what was wrong with them or why they died. You posted that they died from fear and to put cotton in the ears and cover the eyes . They could have died from fear or a hundred other things like injuries, respiratory infections etc . It could have been many things . My point in calling you on this is that you are merely guessing , there is no way of knowing without a necropsy report what caused the deaths , and you are giving out advice on things you have not tried your self . If you want to get offended then so be it . Thats your problem not mine .

07/02/09  05:33am

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2032571

how do you know it died from it’s heart exploding (personally, I’ve never heard of it and think it’s rather far fetched.) I’ve heard of hearts breaking down but never exploding.

07/04/09  07:24pm

Phoenixeternia
View Profile

I think she ment that the most likely cause of the bunnys death was a heart attack. yeh it could of been anything but the wild bunny was in a cats mouth - assuming unharmed - thats a lot of stress on a baby bunny and its not uncommon. so most likely cause may have been heart attack and what can you do to reduce stress on an animal? you cover its eyes tho i wouldnt stick cotton in its ears that could get stuck cause more damage if pushed in to far or something.
rabbits are also prone to over heating more then other animals - also a factor in covering it up. I think everyone will (or should) agree that if u find a wild animal leave it alone unless it is injured or stuck but sometimes there isnt anything u could possibly do. if you wanna help call a pro - The RSPCA if ur in the UK or what ever you have in america ^_^
There is a risk that the animal u are "helping" has rabies or some other disease or parasites so be careful. as much as you wanna help its normally a bad idea.

08/05/09  04:10am

Phoenixeternia
View Profile

I think she ment that the most likely cause of the bunnys death was a heart attack. yeh it could of been anything but the wild bunny was in a cats mouth - assuming unharmed - thats a lot of stress on a baby bunny and its not uncommon. so most likely cause may have been heart attack and what can you do to reduce stress on an animal? you cover its eyes tho i wouldnt stick cotton in its ears that could get stuck cause more damage if pushed in to far or something.
rabbits are also prone to over heating more then other animals - also a factor in covering it up. I think everyone will (or should) agree that if u find a wild animal leave it alone unless it is injured or stuck but sometimes there isnt anything u could possibly do. if you wanna help call a pro - The RSPCA if ur in the UK or what ever you have in america ^_^
There is a risk that the animal u are "helping" has rabies or some other disease or parasites so be careful. as much as you wanna help its normally a bad idea.

08/05/09  04:10am

Just1more
View Profile

Message To: Phoenixeternia   In reference to Message Id: 2051238

I agree with Phoenixeternia. If it’s wild, leave it in the wild. We raise domesticated rabbits. Some of the slightest things can kill a rabbit. We had 50 of them at one time and in one night we lost 31 because of a chemical that was in the filling of a skidloader tire.(the skid loader tires were close to the pens). It was a shame.

08/05/09  08:58am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area