Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Zee29   B-Fish   B-Fish   Tina4996   Zee29   Tina4996   Zee29   Tina4996  
 Member  Message

Zee29
View Profile

Do all spiders molt?

this might sound dumb, but do all spiders molt? i have a black widow that my sister brought me from kansas. she caught it right before a trip up here and i requested that she bring it up here for me to see. i had never seen one and i was just curious. the plan was that she would bring it here and i would look at it and then kill it (keep reading...donít jump on me just yet!). well, when i saw her, i just couldnít do it. she is gorgeous. my sister hates spiders, and wasnít thrilled about bringing her in the car in the first place...so her taking it back with her was not an option. i did a little research online and found out that they donít require much, are not aggressive, and are totally fascinating. so....i have now had Lola since june and she is doing well. i started reading on this forum just for the heck of it, and i keep seeing all of these posts about molting, but they are all in reference to tarantulas. should i expect Lola to molt at some point? if so, is there anything that i need to know?

10/02/07  10:28am

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Zee29   In reference to Message Id: 1465041

Do all spiders molt?

Okay I dont think that black widos molt but if they do there is nothing special you need to know just that spiders need lots of water when molting and molting only happens about 4 times a year so it probabley wont happen soon and if you wake up and then find the spider on its back dont flip it over this means that the spider is molting.

10/02/07  06:12pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Do all spiders molt?

Okay I donít think that black widows molt but if they do there is nothing special you need to know just that spiders need lots of water when about to molt so make sure this is available. Molting only happens about 4 times a year so it probably wont happen soon and if you wake up and then find the spider on its back dont flip it over this means that the spider is molting.

10/02/07  06:14pm

Tina4996
View Profile

Do all spiders molt?

Yes, black widows do molt!
If your black widow is an adult it may not molt any more. Black widows donít live as long as tarantulas. If you are lucky it may live little over a year. Once it becomes an adult it will not molt any more.
Iíve been keeping black widows for about 2 years now. They are very beautiful spiders and as you have said really donít require much. They are very beautiful when they are babies . Here are some babies in various stages. They turn darker with every molt.

10/02/07  07:33pm

Zee29
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1465436

Do all spiders molt?

thank you for the reply. i suppose i could have looked it up on my own, but i have gotten really great info on here about some of my other pets, so i thought i would go this route.

10/02/07  07:39pm

Tina4996
View Profile

Message To: Zee29   In reference to Message Id: 1465554

Do all spiders molt?

;) You are welcome.
You see this is what I donít understand about some people on RZ. A lot of them will tell you to go and do your own research. That you cannot expect them to do it for you.
I think it is way more fun to go on a forum and talk to someone with experience than read up some boring care sheet that may be all wrong in a first place.
Why would you spend hours looking for some info if you can just plain ask?
I donít go to this site very often but, I noticed a lot of people gets that kind of treatment. (Not talking about one specific forum - I visit several.)

10/02/07  10:39pm

Zee29
View Profile

Message To: Tina4996   In reference to Message Id: 1465757

Do all spiders molt?

mine most closely resembles the last picture, only with less red on her back. she has the red mark by her butt, but not the other spots. she might be about the same size as that one too, itís kind of hard to tell from the pictures. when i first got her, it was her size that really surprised me. i guess i just always assumed they were small...i was really impressed by how long their legs are.
i assume she is an adult because she is pretty big and she couldnít get any darker. sheís jet black and maybe a little less than two inches long with her legs.

10/03/07  10:31am

Tina4996
View Profile

Message To: Zee29   In reference to Message Id: 1465974

Do all spiders molt?

If it has a red dot by its butt it is Latrodectus mactans. Yes, it sounds like you have an adult.
It is definitely not the same size as the babies on the pictures. They only seem bigger thanks to my cameraís zoom. Actually they are all different sizes. The last one is about half the size of an adult. The one on the first picture is tiny.

10/03/07  04:39pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area