Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Reacker   Metz   Choccoverstrwberry   Metz   Reacker   TarantulaKid   Metz   Reacker   Alan Johnson   Metz   Reacker   Metz   Reacker   Spider guy   Spider guy   Metz   Reacker   Metz   TarantulaKid   Metz   TarantulaKid   Dragons Claw   Reacker   Metz   Reacker   Metz   Mandera   Metz   Mandera   Dougie  
 Member  Message

Reacker
View Profile

How can I sex my Rose Hair Tarantula?

Hello everyone on this forum,

Last friday, after months of planning, anticipation, and research, I have finally perchased a tarantula. As you can tell by the title itís a rose hair. So far itís exhibited the normal same behavior that I read about in my research such as not being interested in making a burrow despite the little half a hollow small log thing I have in their and mostly just wandering around itís terrerium. I am going to to wait until Wedensday for it to adjust to itís new habitat before I try feeding it.

But my question is, how can I properly sex the tarantula myself? The person that was at the pet store said that the people they got the spiders from only said the species, not the age or the sex.

Oh, and I am also wondering if it is normal for this species to be constantly halfway on the substrate and halfway on the plastic side of the terrerium? Nothing I read said anything about this happening, but my sider seems determined to be in the highest spot possible at all times. Could it be that my substrate(Eco-Earth) is too wet?

So any help and comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

01/23/06  12:17pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 617663

Congrats and welcome to a very financially crippling addiction!!!!!
Eco earth is bad stuff to use for tarantulas, especially G. rosea. Get spagnum peat moss and just use that. Your tarantula is pretty much doing what every tarantula does when introduced into a new enviroment. After you change out the substrate, do not wet it ever!!!! G. rosea is a desert species and they abhor moisture, especially on their feet. Put a wide, shallow water dish in that is large enough for the spider to stand comfortabley on, keep it full of clean water at all times and do not put a sponge, cotton or antything else in it.
As far as sexing, that is the single most difficult thing to do accurately.
Iíll say it now, just in case it comes up later, you can NOT accurately sex a tarantula by looking at how big it is, what color it is, how long, short, thick, or thin the legs or abdomen are and palps are only acurate if itís a mature male.
The only acurate way to sex a tarantula is to examine itís shed exuvium. (exoskeleton) That means, you have to wait for it to molt. Iím not going to go into ventral sexing right now because itís not as accurate and it takes a lot of practice and visual exposure to the genital organs to be able to determine the presence or absence of male fussule
Do you know how to measure a tarantula? If not, Iíll tell ya. Size can play an important role as to the ease or difficulity of sexing a tarantula.

01/23/06  01:42pm

Choccoverstrwberry
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 617663

If your trantula is immature then sad to say you have to wait until the molt (sheding the skin). One of my roseys is about to molt and i have to wait to see if it is a male or a female. The thing i can tell you is that hope for it to be a female because female trantulas can live up to 30 years. The males can only live up to several months after their molt or up to 6 to 7 years. The age i really dont know about, but i think you can tell from the molt. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

01/23/06  06:41pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Choccoverstrwberry   In reference to Message Id: 618176

Quote:

The thing i can tell you is that hope for it to be a female because female trantulas can live up to 30 years. The males can only live up to several months after their molt or up to 6 to 7 years. The age i really dont know about, but i think you can tell from the molt. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

....and that would not be accurate. The lifespan of a female Grammostola rosea is uncertain as no one has kept one in captivity from spiderling to natural death by old age yet. It is estimated that a female G. rosea can live upwards of 50+ years. Males as well can live for up to one year, and occasionally 2 years past ultimate molt. Also, no, the exuvium can not give any diffinitive estimate as to age.

01/23/06  07:10pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 618228

Thanks alot for the replies so far. I havenít measured the tarantula yet, but I believe their is a thread on it somewhere here. I will read it. According to the store owner it already shed a couple weeks ago, so I donít think it will shedding anytime soon. Guess I will have to wait.

I always thought that Rose Hairs only lived 30, thats what everything I have read said.

I already have everything else for my tarantula cage setup properly, except the substrate. As you said it is a financially cripling hobby and I no longer have any money for spagum peat moss(for the moment anyways). I am wondering if I can just leave the Eco-Earth(well, itís actually Bed A Beast, but I figure itís the same stuff) in and let it dry out. Then once I have the money I can buy the moss.

What is wrong with the Eco-Earth anyways, according to my reading it is a commonly used substrate and has no problems with it.

Oh, and what should the humidity be in the cage. I have the thing that measure humidity in there(sorry, I forgot the name) and I have been keeping it at about fifty. Is that too high, low or just right?

01/24/06  01:20pm

TarantulaKid
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 619240

My adult male G rosea

01/24/06  01:27pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 619240

The study of tarantulas is an ongoing, ever changing one. In regard to G. rosea, the *minimum* life span that has been able to be recorded was 30 years. However, with the advances in studies that have been done in the last several years, that number is considered quite low based on physical examination of the species.
The problem with reptile substrates is that they are very course and irritating to G. rosea in particular. Yes, many people do use them and there is nothing *wrong* with them as far as most species go. The main reason long time keepers do not use reptile mixes is because we tend to have a great many tarantulas and it would cost a small fortuine to buy enough of it for everyone, inverts are not reptiles, that stuff is expensive, is not a suitable substrate for obligate burrowers unless other substrates are mixed in with it, hense, more expense, many of them contain wood chips that can be abrasive to the spider and cause injury, especially to those who tend to drag their abdomens behind them and they do not hold moisture well without adding another type of substrate to them.
Yes, by all means let it dry out.
As far as humidity, donít even worry about it. I donít even keep humidity guages in my desert dwelling species containers. Just make sure the water dish is full and thatís all you need.
Anything over 50% for G. rosea is getting on the humid side for this species.

01/24/06  05:45pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 619563

Well firstly, nice pic Tarantulakid. How long have you had him?

Metz: So basically, it is fine for me to keep the eco-earth in the terrerium(does anyone know the scientific name for a spider inclosure?)as long as I let it dry out? I donít believe the cost will be too high for me too buy more to change the bedding when the time comes as I only plan on keeping one tarantula, maybe two in the future.

While I do very much like my T, I am already dedicated to a future career in ants. Whitch is also my main hobby. So the chances that I will end with a T collection as big as yours(I saw the picture in another thread, and not that it wouldnít be cool) is very remote. Thus I avoid the need to buy massive amounts of substrate.

I am just glad that I didnít listen to the pet store owner when they said to use Calci-sand like they had in their T cage. They also recommended that I get a "tarantula sponge" to stick in the middle of the bowl.

Thanks for the expert help metz!

01/25/06  10:29am

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 620560

Thatís wot most off us said when we started collecting T ,s only want 1 or 1 is enough but you have been bitten and you will be tempted to get more maybe not as bad as Metz but you will

01/25/06  11:52am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 620614

Quote:

Thatís wot most off us said when we started collecting T ,s only want 1 or 1 is enough but you have been bitten and you will be tempted to get more maybe not as bad as Metz but you will

Whaaaaat??? **insert innocent face here**
I donít have THAT many. As a matter of fact, because I still do not have enough, Iím sitting here, squirming in my chair, waiting impatiently for my new P. "tigris" to come in this afternoon. Well, ok, my husbandís tigris.

Yes, you can use the ecoearth. Just keep an eye on your spider and if it doesnít come down after about a week or two, or, seldom sets foot on the substrate youíll know itís not happy with it.
There is no scientific name for tarantula containers, we all just call them by whatever they are. The most scientific I get with them is to call them "thingys".
Ants huh? Very cool. There are some members in my husbandís group who are into ants and know a lot them and how to keep them. Yes, his group covers ants too.
If you stick with just one tarantula, good on ya! Youíre a more restrained person than I!!!! But then again, arachnids and reptiles are my thing so..... and Iím also waiting for my snake to come in today too.
YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01/25/06  02:48pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 620801

I am starting to get worried about my T. For the first few hours after I bought her (Iím going to use some wishful thinking and call it a her for now) I placed the terrerium on my floor. I soon realized this was too cold( 59 degrees) and moved her up onto my table wich is a more comfortable upper 70ís. But what bothered me was that when I had her on the floor she had some sort of red liquid bubble around her mouth,the next day after I placed on her on my table the bubble was gone but her mouth was still stained red(and it still is). I didnít put mutch thought into it sence the bubble went away after I put her in a better spot, I figured it was just something they do when they are stressed.

However, she ignores the crickets I put in her terrerium and last night I found her sort of slumped on the ground in a corner. She could have been merely comfortable in that position since when I lightly touched her to make sure she was alright she moved away from my finger and back on to the top of the sides of the terrerium, but a little slow.

Is this normal for a T to do? If it isnít what can I do to solve the problem? My other thought on the bubble is maybe she broke a fang or two when the stupid pet shop guy was trying to get it in the box. I tried to gently coax her into the box, but the pet store guy was trying to shove her off my wrist and into the box thing. If it is the fangs how can I keep her alive long enough so she has enough time to shed and replace them? She shed at the petstore so I donít no how long it will be till it happens again.

So please respond fast, I have no access to a computor on the weekends.

01/26/06  12:35pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 622022

Ok, take a deep breath and relax, sheís fine.
That bubble was one of two things, venom or cleaning fluid. The mouth is always red and a nice bright red too. :) The chances of her breaking a fang just from being man handled into a box are all but impossible. The fangs are not that fragile and it takes a LOT for one to break off. Avics (as well as most arboreals) will go and sit on their substrate from time to time. They will also ignore food when they want to also. As long as her temps are in the right range, her humidity is good, she has access to fresh water and her abdomen is not shrinking, she will be just fine.
Tarantulas clean themselves often, especially arboreals, so, for future refference, if you see her "eating her feet" sheís actually cleaning them. They secrete a fluid that acts to loosen up debris off their sticky pads so they can keep them clean and sticky so they have optimum climbing traction. Occasionally they will also drip a few drops of venom as well. Usually when they have been severely frightened or moved to a new, strange home (container).
Your girl sounds just fine to me. Generally Avics will move slowly unless they are frightened, then they will bolt, so, her slowly moving away from your finger is pretty typical too.

01/26/06  02:22pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 622122

Oh, well thanks for clarifying things for me.

Last night, before reading your post, I coaxed my spider onto a piece of glass so that I could check her fangs out. They were fine as you said. But while I was at it I figured I would take the time to get as much water out of her substrate as possible. Though itís drier than before itís still kind of moist. However, after putting her in her renovated home she wandered around a lot more than the first time I introduced her in and she seems more willing to step on the substrate.

By the way, is it normal for all the crickets to purposely try and jump in the water bowl?

01/27/06  10:27am

Spider guy
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 623253

ewll guy i can tell you that i thought i was only going to get one than i ask alot of questions and i found out the a avics were a lot better t so i got one of those then i see another one on sale then i got it then i seen another one this was a g rosea then i got it and yesterday i got my third g rose and my third a avics so i know what metz means buy you are a bigger person with a lot of restraint than us i love my t they are awsome i am thinking of getting a striped knee but i need to find out more about this t first and what they like

01/27/06  12:02pm

Spider guy
View Profile

well guy i can tell you that i thought i was only going to get one than i ask alot of questions and i found out the a avics were a lot better t so i got one of those then i see another one on sale then i got it then i seen another one this was a g rosea then i got it and yesterday i got my third g rose and my third a avics so i know what metz means buy you are a bigger person with a lot of restraint than us i love my t they are awsome i am thinking of getting a striped knee but i need to find out more about this t first and what they like

01/27/06  12:03pm

Metz
View Profile

Good deal on re-doing the substrate.
Yes, crickets jumping into the water is pretty common. Theyíre quite smart when it comes to knowing thereís something around that wants to eat them but pretty dumb when it comes to remembering that they canít swim. Thatís why itís often suggested to put a smooth rock or piece of slate in the water dish so they can climb out.

01/27/06  05:38pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 623741

Well, she obviously likes this drier substrate better than before. Yestarday she spent have the day sitting on the substrate and also being more active in moving when she wasnít on the substrate. I have noticed she seems to like to sit in one spot for hours, then the next thing I know sheís clear across the terrerium. Also, when she does start finally moving after a while she will move a few inches, stay put for five minutes, then move a few more inches.

I believe that she was also drinking out of the water bowl I had in there as she rested right on top of it for a few minutes. My guess is that she is too thirsty from not eating anything in at least a week, probably longer at the pet store. How can I induce her to start eating?

01/30/06  10:26am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 627344

If she wants to eat she will, if not she wonít and there isnít anything that will make her want to. As long as her water dish is full, just offer her food once every week or two and sheíll be fine.

01/30/06  12:07pm

TarantulaKid
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 627429

best way to sex anything...is a little wining n dining lol

01/31/06  02:20am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: TarantulaKid   In reference to Message Id: 628857

You mean alsomt anything. Wouldnít work for me. Now bringing me snakes, spiders and scorpions however..............

02/01/06  02:27am

TarantulaKid
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 630281

hahahah thats funny

02/02/06  01:53am

Dragons Claw
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 620801

Quote:

Just keep an eye on your spider and if it doesnít come down after about a week or two, or, seldom sets foot on the substrate youíll know itís not happy with it.
There is no scientific name for tarantula containers, we all just call them by whatever they are. The most scientific I get with them is to call them "thingys".

Now Iím glad I chaek all of the strings.Iíve been wondering why Desart was always in her top coner of her tank.Iíve changed her substrate,and need to tell the pet shop how to take care of thier Ts.Sheís staying on the bottom,but wonít brrow(sp?)Like I did above I just call there cages "tanks"

02/04/06  06:41pm

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Dragons Claw   In reference to Message Id: 635497

Hello again, Iíve got a few more questions.

Well, so far thanks for the answers to my questions. The info Iíve been getting is obviously correct since my T seems to be flourishing in her terrerium or "thingy". Earlier she finally ate a cricket, or it just plain disapeared, I could be inclined to think so but a few hours ago I saw her carrying around(well actually mostly just staying in the same spot) with yet another cricket in her mouth.

However, about three days ago she settled into a spot between her hide(wich she spends most of her time on top of instead of inside) and the "thingyís" wall and stayed there until today when she finally ate a cricket. When she left the spot I noticed some kind of wierd pile of substrate and webbing that she made I am guessing last night. Basically it looks like she just pushed a bunch of the eco earth out from under her to behind her on to some webbing, then put more webbing on top of it, and finally just stirred it around with her legs. There is also a 5 centimeter row of web strands from the side of the terrerium to the ground about 2 centimeters away. Since I donít believe that tarantulas eat the exoskeleton of insects and I found no remains of the first cricket, is it possible that the cricket is intombed inside the mess of webbing and substrate for later consumption?

Oh, and yestarday when I tried to prod a cricket towards her she attacked my finger getting so close as to have her 2 fore legs on my finger(fortunately I moved my hand fast enough before getting bitten). Then she went into a defensive posture for a few seconds until my finger was completely withdrawn from the terrerium. Based on her defensive act and her finall acceptance of food, is it safe to say she has fully accepted and claimed the terrerium as her home?

02/04/06  09:26pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 635736

Yes, tarantulas will most certainallly eat the exoskeletons of their prey if they want to.
The remains of a cricket might be wrapped in the webbing or, she just decided to do some webbing, they do that.
Please do not EVER try and herd crickets toward a tarantula with your fingers. Herding them in general is not necessary as the tarantula will find and eat it when sheís ready.
All youíre going to achieve by doing this is scaring the hell out of your spider and getting yourself bitten.

02/05/06  12:11am

Reacker
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 636067

Alright, I shall NEVER again try to herd the cricket towards her again. If I was curious, would it hurt, bother, or effect her in any way to search though the webbing delicatly to see if the remains are indeed intombed inside?

I herd that spiders only eat the insides of their prey, why would my T want to consume the outside? If itís for nutrition I guess I still have a lot of learning to do as I thought that most predators of insects(including other insects) discarded the exoskeleton. Like ants for example whoís midden(garbage area) after a day or more of being fed a whole insect is littered with the hard in-edible insect peices of their meal.

02/05/06  01:29am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reacker   In reference to Message Id: 636161

Spiders eat their prey *from* the inside out. Some tarantulas will leave the shell of their invertebrate prey, others will consume the whole thing. It really just depends on the individual spider. Some of my G. rosea eat everything, others leave part of it. The exoskeletons of crickets, roaches, mealworms and other common types of prey that are fed are by all means consumable for the spider. Certain types of beatle exoskeletons, however, are not. One canít really compare spiders with ants though as they are very different.
As far as looking in the webbing for remains, you can if you want to but yes, it will get your spiderís attention. They are extreamly sensitive to vibration and when there is a disturbance on their turf, especially with their webbing (aka, booby traps) they will come to investigate and see what is introuding and may become deffensive. IMO, Iíd just leave it alone, but thatís just me.

02/05/06  02:47am

Mandera
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 617770

yea i agree with the others that yu may be making the ground way too moist it can actually harm their toes

i have a rose hair too and i have no idea what it is im guessing its a male ive had it almost 3 yrs its not exceptionaly big but big enoug.

04/04/06  06:57pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Mandera   In reference to Message Id: 724799

If youíve had your G. rosea for three years and if you got it at atleast 4" (leg span) then itís not a male. Males donít live very long.
Also, moist substrate isnít going to harm their toes but what it will do is cause them to climb all the time because they do not like getting their feet wet and it can cause mold to grow on them.

04/04/06  07:40pm

Mandera
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 724897

excuse me..when i said that the ground is too moist in harimg their toes, i was implying mold.

04/05/06  01:23pm

Dougie
View Profile

Message To: Mandera   In reference to Message Id: 725797

hi im gettin a female rose on sat i cant wait has your ever threw hairs at you or tried to bite you

04/05/06  03:04pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area