Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tegus Forum

Xtrmevenom   Jif   Xtrmevenom   Jif  
 Member  Message

Xtrmevenom
View Profile

Tegu Breeding

I just set up my new Blue Tegu enclosure and it looks awsome! nice and big with a mini swimming pool and lots of hide spots. The male and Female Blue’s are in there. Been there for a few days now. They seem to follow each other around. When can I expect them to copulate? how will i know when the deed is done and when the female has laid her eggs? will i see a mound where the eggs are? or do i have to just keep diggin and checking for them? I know they hatch around august time so they should be breeding soon right??
thanks

02/02/04  1:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jif
View Profile

Message To: Xtrmevenom   In reference to Message Id: 31250

Tegu Breeding

Did your Tegus cool down or hibernate at all over the winter? What age are they? Our first clutch of Tegu eggs came in December and hatched in February!! Your female will be visibly gravid and you will notice when she has deposited her eggs.

02/02/04  9:47pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xtrmevenom
View Profile

Message To: Jif   In reference to Message Id: 31436

Tegu Breeding

As far as age Im not 100% sure. They are roughly 12-15 inches long, both of them.The female is a bit bigger than the male. Im assuming for that size they are over 10 months old which is the sexual maturity age. I recently got the pair at an expo from Xtreme reptiles. They have a pretty good reputaion so Im hoping they did hibernate. Thanks for the help. I have never seen a gravid tegu and I didnt know if i would notice when she lays the eggs.

02/05/04  9:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Jif
View Profile

Message To: Xtrmevenom   In reference to Message Id: 32323

Tegu Breeding

12-15 inches long is no where near adult size for a Blue Tegu. Mature adults should be at least 3 feet in length before considering breeding. A tegu can be sexually mature at 10 months but yours are too small to be breeding. Keep them hot and feed them well and maybe next year at this time they will be ready to breed.

02/10/04  7:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area