Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Toads Forum

Ammeratsu   Blue eyed cutie   Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   Shadowcat0789   Ammeratsu   Metalsapo   Blue eyed cutie   Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   Ammeratsu   Keechoo   Ammeratsu   Elisa   Ammeratsu   Keechoo   Ammeratsu   Blue eyed cutie   DEvin1145   1stimefirebellybreed  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Fire Bellied Toads Help With Gender? (PICTURE HEAVY)

I have three fire bellied toads which I believe are two females and one male.

This is Flame, my thought-to-be male:

This is Twister, my thought-to-be female:

And this is Wrath, my thought-to-be female:

I do here a little calling once in a while, but I can’t really tell which one it comes from.

05/30/08  07:47pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751430

it is how i tell if mine are male or female so keep in mind it is what i think.

usually the males webbing on the back feet go all the way to the top of the middle toe or almost to the top. the females webbing usually only goes to the middle. and of course males call and females dont. anyway if you would post some pic’s of the toes spred out to reveal (sorry my spelling) the webbing i would be glad to help you out. if not and you think you have it under contral then good luck! hope i helped!

Kae (blue eyed cutie)

05/30/08  11:25pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1751668

Pics coming. =)

05/30/08  11:52pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751683

No offense, but I don’t think that method works. =/ I think I may have figured out all genders just by trying to get pictures of their feet. xDD

I got a couple pitcures of Flame’s feet and they were only half way up the middle toe. Then, he started chirping, so I’m like, "Oh, okay, male. Maybe I can do that to the rest." So I did and they all chirped, but in much different tones. Does that mean they’re all male?

05/31/08  12:03am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751698

You know, I thought I read something about the white on their sides, somewhere, but don’t remember what. =/ Did anybody else come across that?

05/31/08  12:09am

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751703

Based on the little that i know and have read, I’m gonna say that all of yours are male. Males are generally smaller than females and have more bumps. Also, I’m pretty sure that females make no noise at all but I’m not certain. I’ve only had my fbt for a few days so i don’t have much experiance yet

05/31/08  09:55am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Shadowcat0789   In reference to Message Id: 1751892

I’m not sure about Twister, though. She(I think) seems to have less bumpy skin and thinner fore-arms

05/31/08  10:37am

Metalsapo
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751919

Warth and twister are females, and flame i think its a male, but your toads are so fat.
EO

05/31/08  10:40am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Metalsapo   In reference to Message Id: 1751922

lol i think they are soooooo cute when they are fat! lol your toads are great! lol that is fine if you do not think it works that is your opi. lol o and i forgt to mention in my last message that the females middle toe on the back (were i told you the webbing is) seems to be longer then the males.

here are their pic’s of the feet:

this pic is of my European FBT Eclipse (Male)

this pic is of my other European FBT Kala (Female)

Can you see the difforents in the shap of the toes and feet?

Kae (blue eyed cutie)

05/31/08  10:51am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1751933

Yeah, now I can. I’ll take another look at their feet

05/31/08  10:57am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751939

From they’re feet, I’ve concluded that I have two females and a male. =)

05/31/08  12:52pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1751939

And I would get pics, but I’m highly discouraged from touching them anymore today. xDD I was in the middle of holding one’s foot out when I had an itch on my nose. I rubbed my nose and got her toxins in it. It started burning like mad and I was sneezing every three seconds. xDDD You should see my dest, covered in tissues. xDDD

05/31/08  12:53pm

Keechoo
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1752019

Females will call especially if they don’t like what is going on (holding them). Females are larger than males unless they are under nourished. As for the bumps, some of my females are much bumpier than the guys.

05/31/08  12:57pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Keechoo   In reference to Message Id: 1752027

Okay, so what do you think about mine, Keechoo? Male or female?

Flame seems to be male, but he’s really bumpy but has a shorter middle toe.

Twister seems to be male because I here him call sometimes, and he has less bumpy skin.

Wrath seems to be female just about everything except for her skin. O.o

I’m terrible at this. xDDD

05/31/08  01:35pm

Elisa
View Profile

The gold standard that I have seen for gender is watching their behavior and the noises they make. Males make the "ooo" noise, sounding like an owl hooting, or a puppy barking (what someone said they thought it sounds like), they are the aggressors and will try to latch on to other males or females alike. The females are generally more round, their bellies rounder, their toes longer and more slender, and their forearms are thinner, fewer bumps, and they do make noise, but not the "ooo" noise, just a little grunting noise when they are held down or annoyed by a male who is in their face. None of my females have ever made a noise other than the grunt. The females are generally less aggressive and by watching the dynamic in the cage, you should be able to tell. It is not that difficult really.

05/31/08  02:28pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Elisa   In reference to Message Id: 1752115

All of mine grunt. O.o I’ve never heard an "oo" Noise. Jeez. xDD I’m jumping between all male to all female to some male some female. My toads are all fat, so I can’t use the rounder thing, but you could look at their toes and tell me what you think. =D I’ve never been good with genders.

05/31/08  03:24pm

Keechoo
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 1752165

Try to get pictures with their back toes spread out. Has any done the grabbing? Or do they all do it?

06/02/08  04:47pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Keechoo   In reference to Message Id: 1752378

I tried to get pictures of their feet, but I couldn’t. They struggled and moved and I couldn’t do it. Then, I just became discouraged from even touching them because I rubbed my nose after fighting with them to get pictures of their feet and it burnt soo bad. xDD If anybody could tell from the pics I have of their feet? I can try again, though.

06/07/08  12:46pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

ok so i have looked at your pic’s and from what i can see you have 3 females. it is hard to tell but that is what i can see from these pic’s (but these pic’s are not that clear) so if you want to try again then that is up to you.

Kae

06/07/08  05:06pm

DEvin1145
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1754448

alright im not sure exactly hhow to sex them i do belive it has to do with the chirping pitch males ar usually a deeper picth than the females and the only time ive heard my feamle chirp is when the males kept climbing on her and it wasnt even really a chirp also females do get bgger than the male i know ive breed my fbt like 5 or 6 time know so good luck

08/13/08  08:20pm

1stimefirebellybreed
View Profile

i have three firebellys of my own, and we just got them like a week ago. I heard the thing about the extra long toe, and the one about the males have spots and females have lines, but believe it or not, mine are totally different than all them and my female proves everybody wrong. according to all of this stuff i have three males, but surprise i have eggs in my tank. this is actually our first year breeding them, so if anyone has bred them before and has any advice i’d appreciate it. but our female has spots and lines, so does one of our males. and our female has not that long of a finger. the only rules she follows in terms of sexes so far is she doesnt bark , mount the other frogs, and she doesnt shake the males off. When we got our first two, we thought we had a male and a female, nope wrong, both tried mounting each other and they both gave an unmount call, and then the other hopped off. one thing i did find out from researching is that if a male tries to mount a male, he will give an unmount call and the other one will hop off and i also saw it with my firebellys. then when we bought our last one since we thought itd be cool to have a big fat one, we realized it was a female after both mated with her. if it is a female, she will let the male ride on her back, holding on just in front of her back legs, and she will swim and go about her thing until he is done fertilizing. The women dont give out an unmount call to what i have seen so far. and also we put a cove in our tank for her to hide eggs once she deposited them, and wouldnt u know, as soon as i saw her go in there, right after she came out we had eggs. so i’ve discovered which is which just by the barking they do and their mating traits.

08/14/08  05:19pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area