Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tortoises Forum

JerseyGirl7   RepticTay   JanuaryLove   JanuaryLove   JerseyGirl7   JanuaryLove   Artur   RepticTay   JanuaryLove   Dinkanber   RepticTay   JerseyGirl7   RepticTay   Dinkanber   Reptilefreak23  
 Member  Message

JerseyGirl7
View Profile

Tortoise Identification

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me identify my friends tortoise Michelle so I could send him the relevant caresheet.

At the minute she is in a tank with 2 heat lamps and he feeds her on cucumber with a supplement on top everyday. This is the extent of what the pet shop told him to do with her so he doesn’t really know if this is how she should be cared for.

She seems to spend a lot of her time asleep and buries herself under the bedding for most of the day. Also everytime we let her out to explore the flat she heads straight for the nearest radiator and goes back to sleep - I was wondering if she might be a bit cold?

He has also been told by the shop that she should be bathed once a week but by other people that she shouldn’t so he’s a little confused as to what he should be doing

Any help would be really appreciated!!
Thanks

JerseyGirl

PS: Sorry the photo isn’t so great!!

04/15/08  04:21am

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: JerseyGirl7   In reference to Message Id: 1703892

Tortoise Identification

Hi Jerseygirl, firstly that tortoise needs a better care all together.

Firstly to varify the tortoise totally, can we get a photo of its belly? and its tail please.

Second, please scrap that tank, they need either an indoor rabbit cage, rubbermaid/storage tub or build a large wooden box acting as a tortoise table cage.
they need a uv light, and a heat light.
their diet should be around weeds, flowers and plants.

Here is a list of some things thats edible, take note the following list is flowers and leaves only thats edible, (most can be purchased at florist stores, garden centers and so on..);
Hebe, hosta, lawn grass, orchid grass, hibiscus, mallow, dandelion, clover, rose, campanula, nastertium, aubretia, sedum, succulent, pansy, petunia, fuschia, thistle, opunia cactus, xmas cactus, aloe vera, flowering maple, grasses, agave, hollychock, horseraddish, buddleia (butterfly weed), chickory, hawksbeard, Dahlia, Fescue, trefoil, hollyhock, watercress, salad cress, prickly pear, plantain, sage, chickweed, dead-nettle, vetch, garlic mustard weed, honeysuckle, endive, hedgemustard and Kale.
Cucumber during summer is fine, since they are intaking water with it.

Petstores are bad to buy from, never believe what they say, i did and ended up with 2 very sick tortoises.

Your tortoise should be soaked twice a week, along with a dish of water in the cage for daily drinking.

by the looks of it Jerseygirl, your friends tortoise is a Hermanns (testudo hermanni).

04/15/08  08:56am

JanuaryLove
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 1704008

Tortoise Identification

Looks like a sulcata to me...need a clearer pic and plastron.

04/15/08  09:38am

JanuaryLove
View Profile

Message To: JanuaryLove   In reference to Message Id: 1704036

Tortoise Identification

I was wrong...don’t think it’s a sulcata anymore.

04/15/08  09:42am

JerseyGirl7
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 1704008

Tortoise Identification

Thank you for your reply!!

Here are the other pictures - including one of the tank he got with her.

I also wanted to ask if fruit is alright to feed her as the pet store told him to give her grapes and apple if she ever got bored of the cucumber.

04/15/08  09:47am

JanuaryLove
View Profile

Message To: JerseyGirl7   In reference to Message Id: 1704049

Tortoise Identification

You may want to try more fiber food than just cucumber and grapes...etc. Try grass, collords, clovers, dandilions(flowers and/or leaves)...etc. Just make sure it does not have pesticides. Those you can just pick from your back yard anytime you want it. Healthy for them and you don’t have to spend money! Plus on both sides.

04/15/08  12:12pm

Artur
View Profile

Message To: JanuaryLove   In reference to Message Id: 1704129

Tortoise Identification

Looks like a Leopard to me. I wouldn’t recommend cucumbers or fruit at all, since they don’t have access to those in their desert environment. If you really want to, a small piece of apple a week or so is fine. Some people think more often is fine but I’ve never encouraged it. Other than that you can either go to africantortoise.com or try one of the care sheets on this site which are rather good. I know that enclosure is way too small for a tort that size. You’ll need either a back yard enclosure or an 8’X4’ tort table for that big guy.

04/15/08  12:39pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: JerseyGirl7   In reference to Message Id: 1704049

Tortoise Identification

WOW its all clear now.

Jersey girl, your cage is perfect! and very nice, that will suit for along time. i thought the tank was glass or something haha! its an indoor cage like i said to get.

Your friend owns what is known as a Greek tortoise.
Testudo graeca, it is a greek for sure, and female.

However, please change your bedding.
Straw/hay is not very good for them, the ebst bedding is bed-a-beast or aspen (used for cornsnakes alot) if your friend does not mind using soil (pestaside and chemical and fertilizer free, John Innes loam based potting soil is great) mixed with playsand 50% from each soil and sand.

You could liven her activity by adding slate, large stones and flat rocks, some bark (you can purchas this at petstores usually).

Arthur, that is not a leopard tortoise at all, this is a photo from Dinkanber, her leopard tortoise named IGGY.

where as jersey girls friends tortoise is different by a far range.

Jersey girls friend owns a Greek Ibera Tortoise.

04/15/08  01:16pm

JanuaryLove
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 1704175

Tortoise Identification

RepticTay...I am so glad that you are in this forum. You seem to know a lot about tortoises, snakes, and turtles! It kills me to read some forums and people have no idea what they are talking about. No offence to anyone...I just think it is good to have someone out there that can educate.

04/15/08  01:21pm

Dinkanber
View Profile

Message To: JanuaryLove   In reference to Message Id: 1704178

Tortoise Identification

Quote:

You seem to know a lot about tortoises, snakes, and turtles!

yes he does.

Its funny Tay i was gonna say that was a hermans but I didnt cause i knew you would know if it was or not.the patterns look like your guys

(Isnt Iggy Pretty...lol)

04/15/08  07:12pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: JanuaryLove   In reference to Message Id: 1704178

Tortoise Identification

Thankyou Januarylove, funnily i learnt everything i know from this board.
I joined awhile back and learnt so much after such stuborn minded ways of my head! lol but eventually i eased up and learnt everything!
and i try and help everyone else here now i know what im doing.

=D thankyou anyway!

Dinkanber, i apologize for not asking permissions for using your photo of iggy, just i didnt have the time to PM you.
Anyway Yes iggy is beautiful, and has such a cute face too!

04/16/08  05:52am

JerseyGirl7
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 1705158

Tortoise Identification

Thank you so much for your advice RepticTay!!

I’ve printed your information off and passed it on to my friend so he can now start giving Shelley the care she deserves!!

04/16/08  05:57am

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: JerseyGirl7   In reference to Message Id: 1705161

Tortoise Identification

Your welcome, good luck to your friend with his new tortoise!

04/16/08  05:58am

Dinkanber
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 1705164

Tortoise Identification

Quote:

Dinkanber, i apologize for not asking permissions for using your photo of iggy, just i didnt have the time to PM you.
Anyway Yes iggy is beautiful, and has such a cute face too!

No its no probh I have no problem with you ever using my photos.

04/16/08  12:21pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Dinkanber   In reference to Message Id: 1705405

Tortoise Identification

Thats definetly T. Gracea

I got one.. they rock

04/16/08  09:06pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area