Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Guerney   Orc Bow Man   Guerney   Guerney   Orc Bow Man   Guerney   Orc Bow Man   Guerney   Orc Bow Man   Guerney   Guerney   Orc Bow Man   Guerney  
 Member  Message

Guerney
View Profile

Bloated CA Tree Frog

Hi all,
I’m new in here and need some help. I have been having this CA tree frog for 1 yr, and recently, he becomes very dark. I fed him a cricket (Canned) last nite. He has good appetite. Today I found that he legs are stretched and he’s crawling w/ his arms. Seems he lost "feeling" of his legs, and look like the legs are "broken" to me. It’s very strange. The legs should be in "folded" position normally... he’s cawling w/ them. The body is bloated. Was it because he ate a canned cricket that is too big? Is he going to die? Thanks for looking at this message.

07/20/04  11:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 103903

Bloated CA Tree Frog

Is he crawling during the day? They should bes sleeping during day and if he’s not there is probly a problem. Look at its stomach is it red also are the bottom of legs red. If they are it is red leg. If you can tell me its other symptoms I might be able to help u.

07/21/04  10:48am
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 104140

Bloated CA Tree Frog

Thank you very much for your kindness. He crawled a bit this morning, then rested under the moss (stayed at the bottom corner of the tank). The legs do not seem to be red but looks yellow (inside the thighs). I’ll check again tonite when I go home. The tummy is still very much bloated. He stayed in the water dish last nite, guess the floating makes his tummy less stressful. The legs are still straightened, and not folded...Looks like 2 ribbons hanging there, and it’s strange and looks scary to me. However, he has the energy, and used the arms to climb up the tank, or crawling at the bottom of the tank. I’ve 3 other frogs in the tank. (all CA tree frogs) will u suggest me to separate them in cause the illness may spread? They are all tiny (folded is less than 1 inch) and the tak is 1.5 ft by 0.5ft by 1 ft so I hope it’s not overcrowding. Also I clean the tank 2 times a month, and change water every day...I’m not sure what’s the cause, pls kindly advise. He ingested the canned cricket more than 24 hrs ago, and no poop. I’ve other frogs if they at something too big, they’ll throw it up, but this time, this one wouldn’t...Do you tihnk this is caused by bateria? Or because this frog is getting old and cannot digest properly? I only have moss in the tank, and a few pics (1" by 2")bark wood in the tank...

07/21/04  11:56am
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104181

Bloated CA Tree Frog

I’ve this medicine when my fish bloated, it’s called Maracyn-two, contains 10mg Minocycline for fish dropsy. You think it’ll work??
Thanks!

07/21/04  12:12pm
Sorry, No Replies

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104186

Try it

When frogs get sick it is mostly because of microscopic parasites or cause of indigestion. I dont think your case is indigestion because indigestion is mostly when they accidentally swallow a rock. My green tree frog had a disease called red leg caused by a microscopic parasite. I soaked him in a copper sulfate solution made by the same company that makes maracyn-two. My advice would be to try that stuff. If it is a parasite it will probly work. Make sure you dont put to much maracyn-two in the water that u soak him in. Also yes seperate him from the tank with other frogs. It might even be a good idea to clean it out.

07/21/04  1:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 104235

Thanks for your support

Thanks. I’m taking a few hrs today to go home, clean the tank, and seperate the frog. I’ll stop by petco to get that sulfate. Thanks again for your support. I hope it’s still alive when I go home.

07/21/04  2:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104265

Thanks for your support

I would try the maracyn-two first. It might save you a few bucks and both were made to kill basically the same types of parasites.

07/21/04  4:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 104358

Red Leg

Hi Orc Bow Man,
You’re right. I chekced the legs, they are red, and tummy, too. He just started bloating for about 24 hrs, I don’t know why it spreads so fast. I’ve soaked my frog in the Mar-two. I hope it’ll work. How did your frog look when he got the red leg? You said that the symptom was detected early, so were the legs spread out, like my frog (hanging like ribbons)? Or only the tummy is red? If my frog has a chance to recover, are the legs going to be like this forever? Was your frog bloated also? I read internet sites, they say the frog will loose appetite, but my frog was eating yesterday...Did you frog eat anything while he was sick? Thanks and have a good evening.

07/21/04  8:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104506

Red Leg

If mar-two doesnt work try copper sulfate. He ate the day before he got it. Mine was bloated.The legs were spread also it looked like he had lost his sticky like he couldnt climb walls any more. Since it is red leg clean the tank quick! And his legs will not stay like that forever. But since you detected it in the early stages it is easily treated. Good luck.

07/21/04  10:01pm
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 104556

Red Leg

Thanks Orc Bow Man. I think the frog wants to live. So I’ll try my best. Yes, I did cleaned the whole tank w/ weak bleach solution, then rinse it well. Thanks for all the valuable advise, by myself, I wouldn’t have figured out this is the red leg disease. Thanks!

07/21/04  10:14pm
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104584

Question for Orc Bow Man

Dear Orc Bow Man,

I’ve saoked the frog in Maracyn-2, and the copper-safe solution last nite. (I bought the copper-safe because I cannot afford to loose this frog). According to the directions, these 2 medicine can be used at the same time. This morning, the frog’s legs are still spread. I think( but not sure) the thighs are not as swollen, but still they are hanging like ribbons. The tummy is still bloated, but not as red (but still pink and bloated). What do you think of his progress, comapre to what you entercountered w/ your frog? I think you soaked yours 2 times, and he recovered...For the dose of copper-safe, I used about 4 drops for 20ml water (in water dish), I consider high dose, what do u think? I put pcs of uncontaminted bark in the "frog motel" and the base is the water. The frog climbed to the bark for a little while, then go back to soaking in the medicine. Can you pls give me some advice when u get a chance, thanks!

07/22/04  12:19pm
Sorry, No Replies

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Guerney   In reference to Message Id: 104890

Question for Orc Bow Man

It looks like ur frog was a little later on in the disease than mine. But since the belly is less red that means he is making progress. I would continue to soak it in the solution for 15-20 minutes each day until it is better. I think that dosage is fine. For my frog he voluntarily soaked in the medicine if your frog is voluntarily soaking in the medicine then he is probly making some progress. Keep up with the soakin till he’s back to normal the reason the legs are hanging is probably because the disease is already attacking the legs. Hope your frog recovers soon.

07/22/04  3:33pm
Sorry, No Replies

Guerney
View Profile

Message To: Orc   In reference to Message Id: 105013

Question for Orc Bow Man

Thanks! I think it’s making progress...Also I just read his article today about Lymnozyme. I’ll try it also, I really really hope the frog will survivie! Will let u know how it goes, thanks again!
http://www.geocities.com/tozgood/redleg.html

07/22/04  3:58pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area