Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Turtles-Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Turtles-Tortoises Forum

AUNT B   Collaredliz   Matt M.   AUNT B   AUNT B   Matt M.   Matt M.   Collaredliz   AUNT B   AUNT B   Collaredliz   AUNT B   David peeler   Ilylukesnow  
 Member  Message

AUNT B
View Profile

Do you know what kind of tortoise I have?

I have had this tortoise for 6 years. I took over the care for this animal after the boy that had it stopped caring for it. I donít know how the chip on its shell got there, but it is starting to fill in. Every time someone sees my tortoise they ask what kind of turtle I have. Iím always informing people on the differences between a turtle and a tortoise, but I donít know what kind of tortoise I have. Can you help me out? Also note the red spot on the tortoiseís mouth is from tonightís dinner, a tomato.

05/22/07  02:23am

Collaredliz
View Profile

Message To: AUNT B   In reference to Message Id: 1289894

thats a 3 toed box turtle, They are semi aquatic, meaning they love ladnd but will soak in water

05/22/07  04:53pm

Matt M.
View Profile

Message To: Collaredliz   In reference to Message Id: 1290364

Yes, three toed box turtle, (terrapene carolina triunguis). They are not tortoises. They are a terresterial species but do soak to rehydrate and to defecate. Yours looks to be female but is hard to tell from the picture.

-Matt

05/22/07  10:26pm

AUNT B
View Profile

Message To: Collaredliz   In reference to Message Id: 1290364

Thanks for the info. I would have never believed it to be a box TURTLE! I have given it plenty of water, but it never soaks and I have had it for over 6 years. It rarely drinks water let alone soak in it. Should I be concerned over its lack of interest in the H2O? Any suggestions to make water more interesting to it?

05/22/07  11:52pm

AUNT B
View Profile

Message To: Matt M.   In reference to Message Id: 1290729

I have always thought I had a tortoise. Thanks for your input. However this turtle doesnít like water. I have been feeding it a lot of fruit to keep it hydrated. Can you tell me what characteristics I should look for to determine if it really is a she?

05/23/07  12:07am

Matt M.
View Profile

Message To: AUNT B   In reference to Message Id: 1290860

Just offer her a large shallow dish to soak in. All of mine took to the dish as soon as I put it down and most just hang out in there most of the day. To tell its gender look at the plastron (bottom part of shell), if itís flat and doesnít cave in towards the middle then itís a girl. Females normally have amber colored eyes and their faces are more dull than a male. Yours appears to be female just from the pictures you have provided. They love humidity and too much fruit can give them diarreah. If you need to know anything else just ask!

-Matt

Here are some ipictures of mine soaking.

05/23/07  01:03am

Matt M.
View Profile

Message To: Matt M.   In reference to Message Id: 1290916

And here is a good example of the difference in color of a male and female three toed box turtle. Notice the female in the top picture is less colorful than the male on bottom.

Female

Male

-Matt

05/23/07  01:18am

Collaredliz
View Profile

Message To: Matt M.   In reference to Message Id: 1290926

Nice matt... You know of any females or males that need a home, i have 3 right now and have a 20footx10foot enclosure dieing for more boxies, as you know i am looking into adoptions more then anything, i cant give in to WC, lol..

PS: i have 2 that rarely ever soak if ever, but one that really likes soaking... You might not seen them go in but sometimes they will. They are real active in the mornings and evenings also especially if outdoors... very smart too...

PS: they like bugs like worms, snails, slugs, ect.... They actually should have %50 or more of there diet consisting of protein, unlike tortoises. Hope that helps.

05/23/07  02:48am

AUNT B
View Profile

Message To: Collaredliz   In reference to Message Id: 1290967

Iíll change the diet right away. I have millworms and crickets on hand that I feed to a lizard. And Iíll give her the large water dish again.

05/23/07  11:17pm

AUNT B
View Profile

WOW your turtles look really happy Matt. Nice photos. I am thinking about creating an outside area for my turtle. I want it to be as happy and healthy as possible. Any dos or doníts you can give me about making an outside area for my turtle?

05/25/07  12:46am

Collaredliz
View Profile

Message To: AUNT B   In reference to Message Id: 1293113

i can get picture of mine... What you want to do is block off a area, and make sure there is about 6inch-12 inch boards around the boarder, sometimes they will dig under the boarder. Put some nice big soaking dishes, and lots of hides. I made some burrows and put a sprinkler system in my 10x20foot enclosure. My 3 toed just laid eggs yesterday, she lays eggs in the same spot, its pretty crazy.

05/25/07  02:03am

AUNT B
View Profile

Message To: Collaredliz   In reference to Message Id: 1293160

I did it. I made an outside house for my turtle. The pictures of the pen are shown first then the pictures of one very happy turtle. Enjoy!

It took 2 days to set this up.

She still will not soak in the water. I tried hanging a worm across the water dish. She went around the water and claimed her dinner.

05/29/07  02:11am

David peeler
View Profile

Message To: AUNT B   In reference to Message Id: 1289894

just to let u no box turtles are land turtles. i have a 30 yr old female she only soaks in the morning she loves veggies and crikits and worms

09/18/08  01:28am

Ilylukesnow
View Profile

what kind of tortoise is it i was wondering because we have one exactly likr it so i was wondering whatit was called please answer me back!!!!!!!! :)
and if i dont find out what it is called my dad is taking it back :(

05/22/11  08:07pm

Back to Turtles-Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area